Solved! What does "open" mean (CAT6 test)? And how to Fix?

BG07

Mar 12, 2022
I had noticed my Wi-Fi wasn't getting to the speeds of my hard wired devices, so did a test which proved it maxed out at 100Mbps versus 300Mpbs+. This lead me to believe I had a wiring issue (new home, wired during build - this was 5 years ago, just now upgrading Internet speed). I bought a Southwire tester from Lowes and did a check which shows a (Fail, Open, 4/5). So my question is how can I resolve this? Am I just needing to re-do the termination (wall outlet, key(s))?

Solution
Yes, the terminations on each of the cable should be inspected / re-terminated. While you're at it, inspect the cable jackets and see what type of cable it is.

And before you get really into, give us some more info like how the runs are setup, if you're using patch cables and have already tried a new one. Pins can be broken on shitty patch cables also.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yes, the terminations on each of the cable should be inspected / re-terminated. While you're at it, inspect the cable jackets and see what type of cable it is.

And before you get really into, give us some more info like how the runs are setup, if you're using patch cables and have already tried a new one. Pins can be broken on shitty patch cables also.

Solution

BG07

Mar 12, 2022
Thanks for your reply! I have tested the patch cables from other jacks and have received proper speed over the wire, sorry I didn't mention that troubleshooting step. There's a patch cable from the termination in a closet to my main router and another from the wall to my wifi hub, both were tested from other jacks. The runs themselves were installed during construction, all feed back to a central closet via a few labeled keystone jacks for the rooms which they terminate. The patch within the walls jacket shows CAT 6.

1647290918262.png

Here's the (router end key) of this run:
1647290969318.png

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
So you'll wanna open the keystones 1 at a time for the runs with open pins and see if any of the punches are loose. If so, repunch them.

However, observe the cable as well. I can't tell from the photos what type of cable it is.

There's two types of cable, patch (stranded), and "riser" (solid core).

Stranded cable doesn't get punched, it's used to make patch cables and gets RJ-45's

Solid cable gets punched down into keystones.

Chances are it's solid cable, aka riser, and it should say either patch or riser on the jacket.

Solid cable is stiffer, and you'll be able to tell what it is by looking at the ends of the actual cables, if you find loose ones.

Hopefully all it is is some loose pins, or bad keystones. If it's the actual cable somewhere in the wall that has a problem, repulling may not be an option or very difficult.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Does your tester tell you the distance to the open?

A tester that shows the distance to the bad spot would be very handy. I have one that didn't cost too much. It will tell you which end the problem is on, or if it is in the middle somewhere.

Maybe not worth buying just yet since checking both ends is easy and free.

Notice the distance in the last line of the display. Hard to believe you can get a TDR so cheap these days.

Screenshot_20220314-220841_Amazon Shopping.jpg

BG07

Mar 12, 2022
Thanks! I was able to replace both keystones to ensure correct wiring. I found the maint patch panel jack had a wire loose, so a fresh set up did the trick! I'm quite relieved it wasn't the in wall cable!