What does Metallica's "The Ecstasy of Gold" make you feel?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I dont listen to Metallica. I boycott them for starting all the Napster crap.

slick230

Banned
Jan 31, 2003
Are you referring to the song "Ecstacy of Gold", or the CD compilation with Metallica ballads on it? If it's the song you're referring to, I hate to break it to ya, but Metallica is not the artist that recorded "Ecstacy of Gold". It was originally recorded by Ennio Morricone and released on soundtrack for the Clint Eastwood classic 'The Good The Bad And The Ugly' in 1966. Metallica just picked it up and started using it as their opening "theme" for their concert tours.

As for how it makes me feel, I like it. It's a classic piece of music, with broad, sweeping orchestral arrangements. The version you hear Metallica use is a much shortened one. The actual entire song is 3:26 long.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
no idea, don't really listen to metallica. However, everyone kept saying ohw awesome "Fade to Black" was, so I lsitened to it and wasn't impressed.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: slick230
Are you referring to the song "Ecstacy of Gold", or the CD compilation with Metallica ballads on it? If it's the song you're referring to, I hate to break it to ya, but Metallica is not the artist that recorded "Ecstacy of Gold". It was originally recorded by Ennio Morricone and released on soundtrack for the Clint Eastwood classic 'The Good The Bad And The Ugly' in 1966. Metallica just picked it up and started using it as their opening "theme" for their concert tours.

As for how it makes me feel, I like it. It's a classic piece of music, with broad, sweeping orchestral arrangements. The version you hear Metallica use is a much shortened one. The actual entire song is 3:26 long.
I know Metallica didn't compose it, but they did play it (with the SFS, or maybe just the SFS).

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider

rolleye.gif
Good music is good music. By doing this, it shows that you're not a fan of the music, but a fan of the band.

But that's your choice, I guess.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

oh boo hoo like it wasn't under fire already and like you can't get anything you want elsewhere
rolleye.gif

RettaGuy

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Originally posted by: ffmcobalt

rolleye.gif
Good music is good music. By doing this, it shows that you're not a fan of the music, but a fan of the band.

true dat...what a great set of criteria you have!
rolleye.gif

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: RettaGuy
Originally posted by: ffmcobalt

rolleye.gif

true dat...what a great set of criteria you have!
rolleye.gif

Metallica has made some stupid mistakes. I don't care. They make good music, and that's what I care about: the music. If you're going to be childish about it all, that's your choice. :)

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: slick230

I know Metallica didn't compose it, but they did play it (with the SFS, or maybe just the SFS).
I think it was just the SFS who played it... either that or they simply played the intro from "tape"... but the boys never play Ecstasy of Gold themself ... it's just their "signature" intro at concerts... BORROWED from Eastwood's movie (like stated above).

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002

by all means, hate a band because they don't want you to get music illegally.

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
I used to really like Metallica, but their music has been going downhill starting with the Black album. Load and Reload were really loads of crap.

The Napster thing and them alienating their fans was just one more reason not to like them. It wasn't so much about them wanting to get paid for their work, I think everyone can respect that, but it was with them being such dicks about it.

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
gives me goosebumps. I love how the symphony added their own feel to it. It's so perfect and powerful... Simply breath-taking.

And for all you Metallica haters, Metallica isnt even playing in it. Its from their symphonic CD, and only the symphony plays this song.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

Serious. What a bunch of pricks. They tried to stop me from stealing too and I hate them for it also
rolleye.gif

Anyway, I love that song. Only problem is it's too short. I always thought it would be a great movie song. I feel even smarter now that I know that it is :p

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
all you people saying that you hate Metallica cause of teh napster stuff need to grow up. your mad because they stopped you from dooing illegal things. OOOOO. and news to you you can still steal to your hearts content useing other programs.

Yes I agree that load and reload wernt teh best albums but they were still metallica. bands changs and none of them play the same stuff for 20 years. you were stupid for thinkin that. why are they in a band?? 1) to play music cause the like it. 2) to make fukin money.

simple concepts