What does it mean when your boss says employee X finds you intimidating and employee x is insecure?

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
I'm working with an employee who's been here longer then me but I was hired doing the same kind of work he is doing. This employee is kind of difficult to work with and tries his best to keep his knowledge to himself. He also tries to complete with me on a regular basis.

I went up to my boss about this employee and he had indicated this employee is kind of insecure and intimidated by me (non aggressive).

What in the hell does this mean???

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
I'm working with an employee who's been here longer then me but I was hired doing the same kind of work he is doing. This employee is kind of difficult to work with and tries his best to keep his knowledge to himself. He also tries to complete with me on a regular basis.

I went up to my boss about this employee and he had indicated this employee is kind of insecure and intimidated by me (non aggressive).

it means he's making excuses for him.

Feb 6, 2007
Tell employee x that you're part of a team, with a common goal, and there's no need to compete with one another. Then say "But there's no 'U' in 'team,'" and push him out an open window.

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
Tell employee x that you're part of a team, with a common goal, and there's no need to compete with one another. Then say "But there's no 'U' in 'team,'" and push him out an open window.

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
It means you left your boss's office without discussing how to ameliorate the situation, I think.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Originally posted by: MartyMcFly3
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Easier said than done.

May 31, 2001
Better than having the boss of your boss ask to search your briefcase because they think you have a gun inside.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven
Better than having the boss of your boss ask to search your briefcase because they think you have a gun inside.

That happens to you daily, doesn't it? Your post has a ring of disdain to it.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004

Maybe he's seen your forum name ;)

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Safeway

Only once. :evil:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Spartan Niner

Maybe he's seen your forum name ;)

Nah, if they saw his name they'd ask to search his trenchcoat.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

How did you open this conversation? Was it a complaint that he is difficult to work with and you beginning to find that it is preventing you from getting your job done as efficiently?

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Safeway

Only once. :evil:

Step away from the shotgun, Steven. (I just had to do it.)

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002

You're not long for that place.

Polish up the ol' CV.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: AlienCraft

Polish up the ol' CV.

So your saying it's a good idea I should quit.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
This is where the game comes into play. Always remember this - perception is reality. Nothing else matters in office politics, perception is reality.

Nothing matters at all about what you can or cannot do. Nor does your "inability to be a team player, does not play nice with others" attitude. aka, you went to your boss to whine and complain like a little bitch instead of handling it yourself.

If this guy is intimidated by you then use that to your advantage. Every opportunity you can nail and highlight his inability and copy his superiors and escalate. Just a few of these will scare him to obey your every wish and whim. He will hate you, but what is more important is that he will fear you and do what you want.

It's all a game.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
If I was your boss I'd be thinking, 'hmmm, nothing wrong with two of my employees competing to be better than each other, I gotta keep this going.'
Then he blew some smoke up your ass to make you feel better.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Tell him it is because you are an A type personality and are more than willing to take on a management position... Thank him for the offer and tell your co-worker that you are now his manager...

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: AlienCraft

Polish up the ol' CV.

my take exactly.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001

It means that employee x is kind of insecure and intimidated by you.