Question What does it mean, when the *lowest* CPU in your (consumer/mainstream) lineup is $300+? Yes, looking at you AM5. But this is really a larger question.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
What if Intel, in pursuit of "the fastest consumer desktop CPU", stopped selling their designed-for-laptop "desktop" CPUs, and only started selling their HEDT line for consumer desktops, starting at $500 for an 8-core desktop CPU?

Where does this arm-race end?

I mean, I get it, R&D is expensive, and gamers dominate the DIY Desktop PC market, and surveys show that they often purchase towards the top-end chip, but is Intel 12th-Gen going to be "the last" generation of consumer CPUs available around the $100-110 price-point? (Speaking of the 12100F here.)

AMD's 4100 is no-where to be found.

Is this the beginning of the end for "cheap chips for all"?

Reactions: bononos

Just Benching

Banned
Sep 3, 2022
You sure there won't be a 13100 this time around? Regardless the 13400 is a kinda budget CPU.

When it comes to AMD, what do you expect. They are selling to big clients servers and stuff, they don't care about the average consumer that supported them all these years, so whatever production they have is going to the TR lineup.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
They ll use RMB as low cost solution once DDR5 prices are significantly lower, at current prices a 100-200$ CPU is of little help to reduce the build costs, besides 650 chipset will be launched later than 670/670E.

Just Benching

Banned
Sep 3, 2022
They ll use RMB as low cost solution once DDR5 prices are significantly lower, at current prices a 100-200$ CPU is of little help to reduce the build costs, besides 650 chipset will be launched later than 670/670E.
And what was the excuse last gen? It took them almost 2 years both to release the cheaper products AND to offer support to old motherboards ;)

Reactions: Ranulf

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The premise of this thread is bad, and you should feel bad.

Until I can get 32GB of DDR5 for $80, or a solid board that supports it for $100, it ain't what I'd call a value platform. Targeting people willing to spend on the complete swap over is good business. Fill in the lower tiers when DDR5 prices hit the budget builder point.

Also, AM4 may not even be dead yet. Think about that. A 5yrs old socket may still see new CPUs and/or APUs. Meanwhile Intel is already on the last gen for 1700. LOL. How many have they been through since AM4 arrived again? As to cheap AM4 CPUs, the used market is vigorous to say the least.

Ryzen 4100 is a terrible choice with it's PCIE 3.0 and 4MB of L3. Better off with a 3600. But if you want that crippled leftover it is $110 on Amazon from 2 different vendors.

Just Benching

Banned
Sep 3, 2022
The premise of this thread is bad, and you should feel bad.

Until I can get 32GB of DDR5 for $80, or a solid board that supports it for $100, it ain't what I'd call a value platform. Targeting people willing to spend on the complete swap over is good business. Fill in the lower tiers when DDR5 prices hit the budget builder point.

Also, AM4 may not even be dead yet. Think about that. A 5yrs old socket may still see new CPUs and/or APUs. Meanwhile Intel is already on the last gen for 1700. LOL. How many have they been through since AM4 arrived again? As to cheap AM4 CPUs, the used market is vigorous to say the least.

Ryzen 4100 is a terrible choice with it's PCIE 3.0 and 4MB of L3. Better off with a 3600. But if you want that crippled leftover it is $110 on Amazon from 2 different vendors.
Platform support is GREAT. When it's given day one. Raptorlake will work on any Z690 the day it's released. Actually, the bios are already here ;)

On the other hand, it took amd 540 days (that's the actual number) to support zen 3 on my b350. By the time support finally arrived zen 3 was outdated and I had moved on to a newer platform. So yeah, if that's how they are going to support AM5 as well, hell no.

TLDR : Amd supports more cpu gens per motherboard, but it does 54.000% (that's fifty four thousand percent) slower than intel does. So....choose your poison.

• Haha
Reactions: Tlh97 and Pohemi

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Platform support is GREAT. When it's given day one. Raptorlake will work on any Z690 the day it's released. Actually, the bios are already here ;)

On the other hand, it took amd 540 days (that's the actual number) to support zen 3 on my b350. By the time support finally arrived zen 3 was outdated and I had moved on to a newer platform. So yeah, if that's how they are going to support AM5 as well, hell no.

TLDR : Amd supports more cpu gens per motherboard, but it does 54.000% (that's fifty four thousand percent) slower than intel does. So....choose your poison.
This will be my only response to you. I know who and what you are. I can't be trolled, as I will not feed you.

I will say this and no more concerning your tactics here. They fall on deaf ears. No one is being influenced by you.

And as my parting shot. No matter what you say or do, 7 of the top 10 on Newegg are Ryzen right now. 9 of 10 on Amazon. AM4 is the primary reason. No amount of rhetoric is going to change that AMD is dominating the retail space.

Take care and seek professional help. You have an unhealthy obsession IMO.

Just Benching

Banned
Sep 3, 2022
This will be my only response to you. I know who and what you are. I can't be trolled, as I will not feed you.

I will say this and no more concerning your tactics here. They fall on deaf ears. No one is being influenced by you.

And as my parting shot. No matter what you say or do, 7 of the top 10 on Newegg are Ryzen right now. 9 of 10 on Amazon. AM4 is the primary reason. No amount of rhetoric is going to change that AMD is dominating the retail space.

Take care and seek professional help. You have an unhealthy obsession IMO.
I don't know who you are and what you are. But it doesn't matter, I judge you by what you write not by who you are ;)

But to be honest, this is the type of response I expect from someone that doesn't like what has been said, but can't do anything about it cause it's right to a dot. Come on, let's not pretend otherwise, nothing I've said is even remotely objectionable, it's just absolute facts.

Newegg sales would interest me if I had some economic benefit from them. Sadly I don't, so I don't care. Why do you?

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I don't know who you are and what you are. But it doesn't matter, I judge you by what you write not by who you are ;)

But to be honest, this is the type of response I expect from someone that doesn't like what has been said, but can't do anything about it cause it's right to a dot. Come on, let's not pretend otherwise, nothing I've said is even remotely objectionable, it's just absolute facts.

Newegg sales would interest me if I had some economic benefit from them. Sadly I don't, so I don't care. Why do you?
Its not absolute facts. Its your opinion. Once someone has been telling lies for a while, they loose all respect, and put you on ignore. This is my only response to you. Oh, and virtually everything you say is objectionable.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Pohemi

Just Benching

Banned
Sep 3, 2022
Its not absolute facts. Its your opinion. Once someone has been telling lies for a while, they loose all respect, and put you on ignore. This is my only response to you. Oh, and virtually everything you say is objectionable.
It's my opinion that it took 540 days for amd to support zen 3 on my b350 (or any b350 for that matter)? Is it my opinion that raptor lake will be supported day 1 on z690?

Uhm...WHAT?

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
At our largest retailer I see in stock:
Ryzen 3 4100
Ryzen 5 4500
Ryzen 5 3600
Ryzen 5 5500
Ryzen 5 5600G
Ryzen 5 5600
Ryzen 5 5600X
etc.

BTW there is a purchase history visible in the category and that last 8 sold CPUs were all cheap 5500 and 5600X (four of each one).

And of all CPUs sold the last 8 were 4 AMD, 3 Intel Alder lakes and one older Intel i3. Alder lake brought Intel back in the game it seems.

Last edited:

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
What if Intel, in pursuit of "the fastest consumer desktop CPU", stopped selling their designed-for-laptop "desktop" CPUs, and only started selling their HEDT line for consumer desktops, starting at $500 for an 8-core desktop CPU?
Where does this arm-race end?
I mean, I get it, R&D is expensive, and gamers dominate the DIY Desktop PC market, and surveys show that they often purchase towards the top-end chip, but is Intel 12th-Gen going to be "the last" generation of consumer CPUs available around the $100-110 price-point? (Speaking of the 12100F here.)
Is this the beginning of the end for "cheap chips for all"?

It really depends on the location, or here in Croatia everything is availabile.But when you see the prices, it's very clear what you won't buy. :grinning:

R3 4100, 120euro

R5 4650G, 133euro

R5 5500, 140euro

For gaming with discrete GPU, i recommend only R5 5500 over R5 3600.Green is beeter/faster CPU vs R5 3600. Green heats up less + consumes less energy.

Hm 300$ for R5 7600X, it won't be long(in about three months)and its price will drop to $250 no doubt.

Reactions: Tlh97

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Ryzen 3 4100
Ryzen 5 4500
Ryzen 5 3600
Ryzen 5 5500
Ryzen 5 5600G
Ryzen 5 5600
Ryzen 5 5600X
etc.

BTW there is a purchase history visible in the category and that last 8 sold CPUs were all cheap 5500 and 5600X (four of each one).
Zen 2 is ancient at this point. Everything from the R5 3600 and down is beaten by a 12100/F in gaming.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010

"TLDR : Amd supports more cpu gens per motherboard, but it does 54.000% (that's fifty four thousand percent) slower than intel does. So....choose your poison."

Some advice. When benching, try to get some knowledgeable person to check the numbers and English.

By the way its 54.0000 (that's five hundred and forty thousand percent). In other words, its slower than zero. :p

Just Benching

Banned
Sep 3, 2022
"TLDR : Amd supports more cpu gens per motherboard, but it does 54.000% (that's fifty four thousand percent) slower than intel does. So....choose your poison."

Some advice. When benching, try to get some knowledgeable person to check the numbers and English.

By the way its 54.0000 (that's five hundred and forty thousand percent). In other words, its slower than zero. :p
Ill return the advice. There should be three 0 after the dot, not four. Also my numbers are correct. 1 * 54.000/100 = 540.

• Haha

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Ryzen 3 4100
It seems that like the ASRock B660M Riptide mATX mobo ($100, allows locked 12th-gen BCLK OCs), the AMD 4100 (the only AMD AM4 current CPU under $100) is likewise no-where to be found in the US, except for more expensive 3rd-party importers. Just like with Pharma, we don't get the "cheap stuff" here.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017

Some European countries use , and . in the opposite sense that the English speaking countries are used to.

Reactions: Schmide

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Ill return the advice. There should be three 0 after the dot, not four. Also my numbers are correct. 1 * 54.000/100 = 540.
Some European countries use , and . in the opposite sense that the English speaking countries are used to.

Some basic math. If something is 100% slower, then that's zero. It is impossible to be more than 100% slower.

It's as dumb as saying I'm giving 100+% effort. The most you can give is all, or 100%.

Sounds impressive however.

Edit:
What 54.000% means is (fifty four point zero, zero, zero percent) or (fifty four to 3 significant figures) NOT (fifty four thousand percent).

Just Benching

Banned
Sep 3, 2022
Some basic math. If something is 100% slower, then that's zero. It is impossible to be more than 100% slower.

It's as dumb as saying I'm giving 100+% effort. The most you can give is all, or 100%.
Uhm, you are highly confused my man. What you said applies to the context of eg. speed or pricing. Like X car can't be 100% slower than Y car (I mean it can, but then it's not moving). When it comes to time taken, the exact opposite applies. Something can be infinitely slower, but it can only be 100% faster.

If you finished a task in 5 hours, i can be 100000% slower than you, but I can't be more than 100% faster than you. That's the context I was using.

• Haha

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Uhm, you are highly confused my man. What you said applies to the context of eg. speed or pricing. Like X car can't be 100% slower than Y car (I mean it can, but then it's not moving). When it comes to time taken, the exact opposite applies. Something can be infinitely slower, but it can only be 100% faster.

If you finished a task in 5 hours, i can be 100000% slower than you, but I can't be more than 100% faster than you. That's the context I was using.
What is 100% of 5hrs, to use your example?

If you wrote 540 times slower, are you saying that AMD is less than 1% of Intel (1/540)?