What does it mean..."Proud to be American"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
for most people its just a way to cover up their own short commings. Like these new spoiled 16 yo neo-cons (Jerboy anyone?) being proud because america saved france. Or some russian being pround because Mendeleev came up with the periodic table etc...

I too used to be proud of where I am from, but then realized the folly of it. Today I just enjoy the fact that I live in such a nice country (Canada).

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

Try sparking up a joint. Talk about the lack of fundamential individual rights.
Thanks for providing a hearty laugh.

I never realized that sparking up a joint was a fundamental individual right. Now I know what they meant by that phrase life, liberty and the "pursuit of happiness".

hagbard

Banned
Nov 30, 2000
Originally posted by: alchemize
Thanks for providing a hearty laugh.

I never realized that sparking up a joint was a fundamental individual right. Now I know what they meant by that phrase life, liberty and the "pursuit of happiness".

Who's life is it? Who owns you? Obviously, your government, not you.

kleinesarschloch

Jan 18, 2003
i can only be proud of something i accomplished myself. but i suppose if someone never accomplished anything, they would try to find something to feel proud of.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
-------------------------------------------------------
I would have thought everybody knew by now.

We have all been put down, made to feel like the worst in the world. Those feelings lie deeply buried and are very difficult to access and remove. The think we hate is what we were, ourselves. We were told, on pain of enormous suffering that we had to stop being ourselves and be what earns respect. That is why I am a charter member of everything that's great. I am an American. We are great and so am I. I am a.... well actually I am a Conservative. Conservatives are great and so am I. As a member of everything that is the greatest, I am the greatest too. Just ask me. And don't tell me I'm wrong, please. No way I'll ever be what I truly am. That piece of sh!t is long buried in it's moldering grave deeply repressed in consciousness. I will never remember, thank God. I am the greatest and very reasonable too. Tell me I am not and I'll do my best to kill you. Yes, I'm very reasonable indeed. You, on the other hand, are completely insane.

How we treat the least among us is how we treat ourselves.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: hagbard
Originally posted by: Sternfan
I am proud to be an American for many reasons:

1. If you work hard and don?t break the law you will succeed in this country. (American Dream)

Same in most other industrialized western countries.

2. The American taxpayer by way of its government gives Billions of dollars to third world countries for food and medicates to aid them

Around $6 billion a year, which is half that of Japan, and almost as much as France. Now, if you include aid to Israel, that ups it by another $3b.

3. America is filled with the most generous people on the planet, after 911 the charities collected Billions of dollars for the family?s that were directly affected.

Hardly. The rest of the world did the same, sent blood and other needed help to the US, often without thanks.

4. Freedom to do what you want.

So many reasons to little time, I can only thank God I was born in America even with its faults.
America is one of the only superpowers throughout History that corrects its mistakes in time. :)

Nope, just builds on them.

Hey Hag, what about the 15 billion we are giving to Africa to combat AIDS, which is 10 times as much as all of Europe combined... How much is Canada donating btw? It must be nice to know that you can live up north above us, hate us, spark up your bowl and talk about how much america sucks, but if the sh!t ever hit the fan and WW3 started, Americans would lay down their lives to protect the US and Canada. Enjoy your weed you fvcking hippie

hagbard

Banned
Nov 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
Originally posted by: hagbard
Originally posted by: Sternfan
I am proud to be an American for many reasons:

1. If you work hard and don?t break the law you will succeed in this country. (American Dream)

Same in most other industrialized western countries.

2. The American taxpayer by way of its government gives Billions of dollars to third world countries for food and medicates to aid them

Around $6 billion a year, which is half that of Japan, and almost as much as France. Now, if you include aid to Israel, that ups it by another $3b.

3. America is filled with the most generous people on the planet, after 911 the charities collected Billions of dollars for the family?s that were directly affected.

Hardly. The rest of the world did the same, sent blood and other needed help to the US, often without thanks.

4. Freedom to do what you want.

So many reasons to little time, I can only thank God I was born in America even with its faults.
America is one of the only superpowers throughout History that corrects its mistakes in time. :)

Nope, just builds on them.

Hey Hag, what about the 15 billion we are giving to Africa to combat AIDS, which is 10 times as much as all of Europe combined... How much is Canada donating btw? It must be nice to know that you can live up north above us, hate us, spark up your bowl and talk about how much america sucks, but if the sh!t ever hit the fan and WW3 started, Americans would lay down their lives to protect the US and Canada. Enjoy your weed you fvcking hippie

First of all, learn how to property attibute quotes. Most of the above isn't my stuff. Now to your points.

The US hasn't yet given anything to Africa to fight AIDS, and I rather doubt it ever will. All talk, no action. Canada has given and continues to give more than the United States in foreign aid in terms of GDP. Most industrialized nations have given far more aid than has the US in terms of their population. Check the statistics on the CIA website. And the US wouldn't do anything for anyone if there wasn't a payback for themselves.

And thanks, there's nothing better than BC Bud! Anything is better than that swag you guys have.

Spyro

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2001
Well...... Nothing really...... Maybe it means what it says? Do you mean why people say that?

I say it because I'm an American and I'm certainly not ashamed of that fact.