What does American support for Trump say about this country?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
If you're trying to get a party and it's supporters to support you it seems reasonable to ask that don't stand against that party.

That presupposes that the party can never be wrong, which is a dangerous starting point. I would expect the RNC to ask that question. A real journalist wouldn't ask that question.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
I watched his press conference, and he keeps making the same promise, "I will not run as a third party candidate if I win the republican nomination."

How is that even a promise?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I watched his press conference, and he keeps making the same promise, "I will not run as a third party candidate if I win the republican nomination."

How is that even a promise?

It's not what he said. He said he will not run as an independent if he is treated fairly. He said fairly not well and the implication was clear that he will not run as an independent if he loses fairly.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's not what he said. He said he will not run as an independent if he is treated fairly. He said fairly not well and the implication was clear that he will not run as an independent if he loses fairly.

Yeh, but like all Righties, I'm sure he feels cheated already.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Yeh, but like all Righties, I'm sure he feels cheated already.

I see that as true of passive aggressives. I don't see Trump as passive aggressive. In fact I see his statement that he will only run a third party candidacy if he is treated unfairly as an open and aggressive threat that he had better be treated fairly or else. He also said that he is being treated fairly by the party, so far.

I have never had so much fun watching the news watching Democrat an Republican scratching their heads trying to predict how that whale will beach. I'm just a stupid nobody who doesn't know a thing, but I have the hideous desire to see him beach on the White House lawn. We need a Black Swan near death experience to wake the zombies up.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
...I have the hideous desire to see him beach on the White House lawn. We need a Black Swan near death experience to wake the zombies up.

That'd be hilarious... and would probably forge a veto poor majority in Congress for the first time in our lives.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I see that as true of passive aggressives. I don't see Trump as passive aggressive. In fact I see his statement that he will only run a third party candidacy if he is treated unfairly as an open and aggressive threat that he had better be treated fairly or else. He also said that he is being treated fairly by the party, so far.

I have never had so much fun watching the news watching Democrat an Republican scratching their heads trying to predict how that whale will beach. I'm just a stupid nobody who doesn't know a thing, but I have the hideous desire to see him beach on the White House lawn. We need a Black Swan near death experience to wake the zombies up.

Well, if it really looks like Trump might win the nomination, I figure that "fair" treatment from the Repub establishment will go straight down the porcelain bowl. They eat their own.

Things need to get very bad before believers are willing to renounce their faith, 1932 bad. We nearly had that in the wake of the Ownership Society but close wasn't close enough. So long as there's room for denial they'll deny, just like late stage alcoholics.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
It's not American support for Trump, it's far right support for Trump. And it says what we all already knew about the far right, that they're massively shitty people.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
Well said. He's turning the dumpster fire of what is modern politics into another one of his reality TV programs.

It would be so cool if upcoming President Trump used a reality style elimination to choose his running mate and cabinet. Finally there would be interest in the workings of government as he makes precedent for all future presidents. I have no doubt he'll go three terms after greasing a Constitutional amendment through the works by bribing the printers.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org

No I specifically heard him say that twice, once in the debate and once in the press conference were: "If I win the republican nomination I will not run a third party candidate." It was strange wording. In the debate his wording was "...run as a third..."