What does [Adult Swim] mean?

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Why does the Cartoon Channel refer to Futurama as Adult Swim? What does it mean? They also show Anime during this time.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Adult Swim is the block of time where they play, quite possibly, the funniest cartoons ever or really cool anime.
Sealab 2021 0wnz j00.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
usually anime with more realistic violence and sometimes adult situations

ISAslot

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2001
At some pools during the day, after a certan amount of time, like and hour, they call all the kids out and have adults only for 10 minutes.

This is why they use this term.

slick230

Banned
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: StormRider
But why do they call it Adult Swim? What does it stand for?

It's just a name for the block of programming. "Adult" because the subject matter isn't the same level as Deputy Dog, it's more, how shall I put this, ADULT. I don't know where they got the "Swim" part from, but oh well.

ISAslot

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2001
wow, i'm suprised so many of you don't know the term adult swim

maybe it's because i'm floridian and there are a ton of pools around here.

All i know is that is sucked when you're a kid and you have to get out for 10 minutes, 10 minutes is an eternity, especially when your on a hot pool deck.

slick230

Banned
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
so it means for adults only, no kids allowed

but futurama isn't that "adult"

It has a lot of double entendre, stuff kids might giggle at, but only adults would REALLY get the true meaning of.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ISAslot
At some pools during the day, after a certan amount of time, like and hour, they call all the kids out and have adults only for 10 minutes.

exactly. Just warning parents this isn't the Pokemon and Ed Edda Edna Edny cartoons they're expecting on Cartoon Network. Also promoting to everyone these are the "cool" toons.

rpc64

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2002
Why even do the "Adult Swim" if the adults only get 10 minutes?? That's like nothing. I don't get it.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Wow, I'm surprised so many people have never heard the term "Adult Swim" before. Oh, and StormRider, congrats on a less than annoying post for once.

ISAslot

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2001
Originally posted by: rpc64
Why even do the "Adult Swim" if the adults only get 10 minutes?? That's like nothing. I don't get it.

It's not more for the adults to swim, but actually for the lifeguards to take a break.

Only the grown ups can swim in the pool when the life guard is off duty.

rpc64

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2002
Originally posted by: rpc64

It's not more for the adults to swim, but actually for the lifeguards to take a break.

Only the grown ups can swim in the pool when the life guard is off duty.

Ohhh. Ok.

slick230

Banned
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons

exactly. Just warning parents this isn't the Pokemon and Ed Edda Edna Edny cartoons they're expecting on Cartoon Network. Also promoting to everyone these are the "cool" toons.

Any parent that is letting their kid stay up that late that they can watch "Adult Swim" should be kicked in the face repeatedly.

Ladies Man

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
He's violating seabreeze! No he's just positioning himself awkwardly... oh now he is....

Family Guy is the best show ever

nativesunshine

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2003
::cries::

no more cable at my house..

no more futurama, family guy...anime....

no more adult swim..

::cries::

:(

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Ladies Man
He's violating seabreeze! No he's just positioning himself awkwardly... oh now he is....

Family Guy is the best show ever

indeed, damn fox for taking it off the air