What does a physical entail these days?

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
That thread on the real/apparent age made me remember that I've been meaning to go for a physical and other tests to see if I will live beyond 30. It's been oh... 15 years at least since my last one so I don't have a clue what they do there now.

So I am wondering, when you go see a doctor for a physical these days, what is it that they do they exactly? Is it intrusive like 'strip naked while I slip on this rubber glove' or is it just the breath in, breath out, stick out your tongue, do you feel anything wrong inside type check up?

Call me crazy but I don't really care to have a doctor check out my genitalia, I am more interested in non visible potential problems like getting my cholesterol checked and having bloodwork done to check for things like diabetes, cancer or other health problems.

My brother is only 1.5 years older and has cancer of the Thyroid as well as khrones (sic) while some cousins have had heart attacks in their low 30s. Those kinds of things are what worry me, especially considering there is huge family history of heart problems on my father's side and cancer on my mother's side.

So... what can I expect?

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
how old are you? cholesterol test, talk about any health issues, blood pressure, listen to vitals.

Oh, and he/she's going to cup your balls while you cough.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
I had a recent thread about something similar and had similar worries.

I basically had to take off my shirt while he listened to my heart and lungs with a scope. Then had me lie down while he tapped my stomach and listen to the sounds. He also felt under my jaw and neck for swelling.

I also went to a lab to get blood drawn for some blood tests.

My next checkup is in 6 months and I will probably be a little worried about more invasive examinations.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Guess what, the doc is going to touch your nuts to make sure you don't have cancer there, which is one of the things you're worried about...

I just had a physical the other day. Basically went over my medical history, asked me if I felt any of a number of symptoms, took my weight, took my blood to check for cholesterol & triglycerides, took my blood pressure, did an EKG, a test for H. Pylori (lots of acid reflux and some stomach discomfort), and did the usual touching/feeling/listening for anything odd going on in the abdomen.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
I was not touched in the private area during my exam (thank goodness). Maybe my doctor was so disgusted when I took off my shirt that he didn't want to examine me further.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
I'm 27, so no prostate checkup yet.

Actually, I check my own nuts for cancer, it's like women (and men) checking for lumps on their breasts, it takes a few seconds to check every week/month.

There are some things I have to discuss with him anyways, constant bad breath/taste from deep down my throat, blood when I clean myself after #2, a few other things that guys who aren't Guy Lafleur don't like to talk about with their doctor.

Still though, I find myself putting it off constantly... I think I really got turned off from the doctors seeing my ex girlfriend have to call hers around 20 times a day over a period of 2 weeks before she was able to get someone to answer the phone

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Feneant2

Actually, I check my own nuts for cancer, it's like women (and men) checking for lumps on their breasts, it takes a few seconds to check every week/month.

There are some things I have to discuss with him anyways, constant bad breath/taste from deep down my throat, blood when I clean myself after #2, a few other things that guys who aren't Guy Lafleur don't like to talk about with their doctor.

Still though, I find myself putting it off constantly... I think I really got turned off from the doctors seeing my ex girlfriend have to call hers around 20 times a day over a period of 2 weeks before she was able to get someone to answer the phone

I'm 25 and my last checkup was when I was 23. I didn't get the finger poke, but I still got the nut cup. Just get some recommendations on a good doctor and get it over with.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Feneant2

Grow up and get used to it, you'll be getting a lot more "thorough" checkups when you're an old man anyway :p

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
Originally posted by: StormRider
I was not touched in the private area during my exam (thank goodness). Maybe my doctor was so disgusted when I took off my shirt that he didn't want to examine me further.
Your doctor doesn't care. You need to get over yourself.

upsciLLion

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
I'd much rather the doctor examine my balls than not. Testicular cancer and hernias are no fun, but are much less fun if left untreated.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: upsciLLion
I'd much rather the doctor examine my balls than not. Testicular cancer and hernias are no fun, but are much less fun if left untreated.

No kidding. There are plenty of people who "self examine" for testicular and breast cancer that miss it until I doctor finds it for them. Swallow your pride and get it over with. People are such babies.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
At your age, probably nothing more invasive than "Turn your head and cough." After you hit 40 however...the rubber gloves usually come out. You start to worry, when the doctor pulls on a rubber glove that goes to his shoulder...:p

upsciLLion

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Originally posted by: BoomerD
At your age, probably nothing more invasive than "Turn your head and cough." After you hit 40 however...the rubber gloves usually come out. You start to worry, when the doctor pulls on a rubber glove that goes to his shoulder...:p

DREs aren't that bad. :p