What does 1394 mean? and how do I turn it off cause it won't let me get on the internet.

frankgomez75

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2004
:(

Why did I ever tell people I work as a PC tech at work? WHY!
As the title says.. thats what someone asked me. I'm in Houston and my neighbor left to North Dakota and called me at 9PM last nite to ask me why the 1394 message won't let him connect to the internet. :confused: oh well.... from now on, all new ppl I meet I'm not even going to mention I know anything about computers.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
tell him to just be thankful he didn't see the 1337 message.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
My only guess is that its something with the Firewire ports...Never really understood why it showed up in Network connections though

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Over the phone troubleshooting is the single most pain in the ass thing that I ever have to deal with. It's alot like trying to give someone directions to a place you've never to, without knowing where they are, and while teaching them how to drive in a car that you've never been in.

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
its firewire and has nothing do with internet
the poor bastard prolly tried configuring tcp/ip on the firewire card...

frankgomez75

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
Over the phone troubleshooting is the single most pain in the ass thing that I ever have to deal with. It's alot like trying to give someone directions to a place you've never to, without knowing where they are, and while teaching them how to drive in a car that you've never been in.

couldn't agree more... I mean jeez, WTF, if you really need your computer to work the least you could do is call me, setup a time we can meet, give me physical access to the damn thing, and a 6 pack of beer (and not some crappy Schlitz)... cause god knows I'm gonna need after the crazy shiat I'm going to hear on what THEY think is wrong with their pc.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: frankgomez75

As the title says.. thats what someone asked me. I'm in Houston and my neighbor left to North Dakota and called me at 9PM last nite to ask me why the 1394 message won't let him connect to the internet. :confused: oh well.... from now on, all new ppl I meet I'm not even going to mention I know anything about computers.

Wait, you're a PC tech, but you don't know what IEEE1394 is? :p

Google is your friend.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Originally posted by: MrPickins

Google is your friend.

Reading comprehension is YOUR friend.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003

It could have been worse. They could have said that 404 was not letting them on the internet.

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
Tell him to go to Network Connections and disable the IEEE1394/1394/Firewire internet connection. See if that fixes it.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: InlineFive
Tell him to go to Network Connections and disable the IEEE1394/1394/Firewire internet connection. See if that fixes it.
Frank knows what it is. He had a call from someone who convinced themselves that that 1394 thing was stopping the internet. He had to handle the call and fix the real problem.

Hey FG, maybe some free time at Techtales will help. Reading other folks similar issues may make you feel less singled out and abused ;)

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Don't listen to any of the networking or general hardware advise above. This is clearly the off topic forum, so you require an off topic answer.

The correct answer is that he is lying. He is getting a 1349 error message.
He is getting that error because he doesn't listen to enough 1349 and thus, the error is there to warn him that he needs to listen to some Good Black Metal from Norway.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: JujuFish

As the title says.. thats what someone asked me. I'm in Houston and my neighbor left to North Dakota and called me at 9PM last nite to ask me oh well.... from now on, all new ppl I meet I'm not even going to mention I know anything about computers.

Google is your friend.

Nowhere does the OP make it clear that he knows what 1394 is, and the confused smiley led me to believe that he didn't.

I understand that the title was a quote from the guy in ND, that wasn't my point. :)

frankgomez75

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2004
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
Don't listen to any of the networking or general hardware advise above. This is clearly the off topic forum, so you require an off topic answer.

The correct answer is that he is lying. He is getting a 1349 error message.
He is getting that error because he doesn't listen to enough 1349 and thus, the error is there to warn him that he needs to listen to some Good Black Metal from Norway.

:thumbsup: :) That made me chuckle.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Originally posted by: JujuFish

As the title says.. thats what someone asked me. I'm in Houston and my neighbor left to North Dakota and called me at 9PM last nite to ask me oh well.... from now on, all new ppl I meet I'm not even going to mention I know anything about computers.

Google is your friend.

Nowhere does the OP make it clear that he knows what 1394 is, and the confused smiley led me to believe that he didn't.

I understand that the title was a quote from the guy in ND, that wasn't my point. :)

Nowhere does the OP ask what 1394 means, either.

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth

Oh god I know. Even if you tell them step-by-step instructions, they will somehow get lost and you have spend the next 30 minutes trying to figure wtf they did.