What does 1080p mean when it comes to computer monitors?

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Well, as far as I understand, in basic terms, when it comes to TV's, 1080p means that all those HD movies and programming will look their best, provided one uses an HDMI cable, has an HDTV capable of 1080p and the movie/program is actually in HD.

But what does this same 1080p mean for PC monitors? It's obvious that one will be able to watch movies in full 1080p on such monitors, but will the OTHER stuff look better on a 1080p monitor as well? Does it have any effect on games and movies that are below 1080p? I'm guessing the answer is "no"?

vj8usa

Dec 19, 2005
1080p simply means 1920x1080, progressive scan (uninterlaced image). It's not about inherently "looking better", it just means it has a certain resolution. You'll have more desktop real estate than at 1280x1024, for instance. As for running a game at lower resolution than the monitor, that generally isn't preferred, since the image won't be as sharp.

Alex C

Jul 7, 2008
If you don't have a 1080p monitor, will you see any improvement when upgrading from dvd to blu ray? I'm currently using an Asus 22" LCD at 1680x1050, but I'm contemplating selling that to get one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16824236051

I really like the picture on my dad's HD tv and would love to get a monitor capable of similar quality images, but I'm not sure if my 4850 is up to the higher resolution. Is it worth upgrading monitors at this time? I know they'll only get cheaper, but the resale value of my current monitor is only going to decrease (probably much faster than the price of new HD monitors).

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Alex C
If you don't have a 1080p monitor, will you see any improvement when upgrading from dvd to blu ray? I'm currently using an Asus 22" LCD at 1680x1050, but I'm contemplating selling that to get one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16824236051

I really like the picture on my dad's HD tv and would love to get a monitor capable of similar quality images, but I'm not sure if my 4850 is up to the higher resolution. Is it worth upgrading monitors at this time? I know they'll only get cheaper, but the resale value of my current monitor is only going to decrease (probably much faster than the price of new HD monitors).

Heh. I just bought this monitor today from newegg. Super low pixel pitch, hdmi for movies, cable tv, consoles.. anyway... You can still play blueray movies on your monitor. Little less detail than 1080p but you won't notice dramatic differences. Subtle difference at best.

I don't think it would be worth it to buy another 22" monitor just to have 1080p over 1680x1050. Probably not worth it after you sale your old one and put another $100. If you bought a new monitor though higher resolution all the way with low pixel pitch. Your 4850 will struggle a bit as well at that resolution if you crank settings.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Hey, Azn, since you bought this ASUS monitor, can you tell me how good it is when it arrives? I am confused about the contrast ratio.. It says 1000:1 (ASCR 12000 : 1), so does this monitor have 1000:1 or 12000:1? I am considering buying it, but there are many reviewers bitching about the backlight bleed and the crappy colors. Chances are, I wont even notice any of those things.. My 17" ViewSonic is probably much worse than these new ASUS monitors, but I never seen any backlight bleeding or anything that people mention about these monitors. I see many people saying that TN panels have really crappy levels of black(including those ASUS LCD's) and cannot be viewed from every angle. I can see my ViewSonic from every angle just fine, and the blacks are very much black enough for me...

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
CRT>LCD in terms of colors, contrast, brightness, etc, but CRTs are heavy and expensive and hurt my eyes, damn flicker....

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: ibex333
Hey, Azn, since you bought this ASUS monitor, can you tell me how good it is when it arrives? I am confused about the contrast ratio.. It says 1000:1 (ASCR 12000 : 1), so does this monitor have 1000:1 or 12000:1? I am considering buying it, but there are many reviewers bitching about the backlight bleed and the crappy colors. Chances are, I wont even notice any of those things.. My 17" ViewSonic is probably much worse than these new ASUS monitors, but I never seen any backlight bleeding or anything that people mention about these monitors. I see many people saying that TN panels have really crappy levels of black(including those ASUS LCD's) and cannot be viewed from every angle. I can see my ViewSonic from every angle just fine, and the blacks are very much black enough for me...

Sure I'll do that. This is my 2nd LCD. I'm replacing my 19" viewsonic with the Asus.

Contrast ratio is 1000:1. This 12000:1 is some contrast rate no one uses and for marketing purposes. When there's nothing but black on screen you are going to get some bleeding/backlight. Typical LCD behavior if you ask me. You aren't going to notice it unless there's nothing but black on screen with no external light source which is usually never. I haven't dealt with anything besides TN panels so I don't know if other panels do it but my 19" viewsonic va1912wb does it. Personally I think when some of those people say black doesn't look black on TN panels are nitpicking. You can't please everyone and newegg reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. People have different preferences and wants for the price they want to pay. If you are fine with how TN panels look and viewing angles then you won't have a problem with the Asus either.