What do you use to pack/bring your lunch to work?

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I though there was a thread on this already but my lame search skills didn't come up with anything. My current lunch box is due for a replacement. Zipper is all messed up and the little tabs have fallen apart. Lately I've been bringing a lot of salads and snacks due to being diabetic and I like to separate everything out so it doesn't get soggy by the time I'm ready to eat it. Looking for something on the larger side, with some pockets to put random stuff in (change, my phone etc.). What do you guys use?

ra1nman

Dec 9, 2007
I have one of these. It fits a standard pyrex container and has pockets to put a cold pack or stuff misc items in. It is expandable and came with a divided plastic container if I remember correctly. I picked it up from Costco but here is the same thing at Amazon

Reactions: highland145

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Reactions: highland145

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
igloo-coolers-island-breeze-28.jpg

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I was using a spare plastic grocery bag (I have a bag full of them for various uses in my closet) but lately I've been using a cloth grocery bag. It started cause some Mondays I bring in a bunch of food because I keep milk/cereal/butter/syrup/etc at work so I needed a bigger bag. I just kept using it even though today I only brought in a few things.

Reactions: snoopy7548

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I work outside in construction so I usually just bring a can of soup and set it on the dash to let the sun warm it up some. That way I don't have to bring a bunch of crap or mess with ice packs, etc.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I work outside in construction so I usually just bring a can of soup and set it on the dash to let the sun warm it up some. That way I don't have to bring a bunch of crap or mess with ice packs, etc.
I guess someone provides you water? I keep a square 2L bottle full of ice in my cooler for chilling, and three 1qt canteens of water. In summer, I add a 1.5L bottle of ice for extra cooling, and a backup water supply. The food goes in around that. My lunchbox is pretty heavy :^D

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
the skulls of my victims
Is that the same as the bones of my victuals?
I guess someone provides you water? I keep a square 2L bottle full of ice in my cooler for chilling, and three 1qt canteens of water. In summer, I add a 1.5L bottle of ice for extra cooling, and a backup water supply. The food goes in around that. My lunchbox is pretty heavy :^D
You're the one humping through the Amazon with a bunch of equipment so you can tell some guy what's his.....you know, the shizzle he'll never hump through.

And bridges and stuff. :p

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
You're the one humping through the Amazon with a bunch of equipment so you can tell some guy what's his.....you know, the shizzle he'll never hump through.

And bridges and stuff. :p
This Friday, I have to do more stakeout for a stream restoration. It's gonna be midway between the two entrances, and no truck access. Not a super long walk; maybe 600', but I have a ton of stuff I'll have to carry over fairly rugged terrain. Instrument, pole, ~50 oak stakes, misc crap... It's probably a couple hundred pounds of stuff. Not looking forward to it :^(

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I carry everything in a plastic shopping bag. I really don't care.
You know, this might be best. When I leave the office, I have a bag full of crap. Liked the chest strap bags but if that's on the truck seat, some ass will break the window. Then, today, liked the lunch box idea..easy peasy.

Might as well stick with old kroger plactics.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
String bags work really well...

I used to use them for groceries, but as much anymore since most places got rid of the back conveyor. They're still good as a general carryall. Waaay stronger than plastic, and still very compact.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
String bags work really well...

I used to use them for groceries, but as much anymore since most places got rid of the back conveyor. They're still good as a general carryall. Waaay stronger than plastic, and still very compact.
Heading to the gym. Glasses, backup drive, wallet, pistol, smart phone, small gatorade...plus I'm carrying my work clothes/shoes. Strength is nice but "don't bust out my window" is better....sadly.

I wanna be cool with a chest strap bag.:(

;)

Last edited:

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Shopping bag. I used to have my own fridge at work so I would just throw the whole thing in the fridge. Now I have a helper and I've caught him looking in the bag twice so now only my cold stuff goes in the fridge and everything alse stays in the bag near wherever Im working at.

Dec 10, 2005
Before I started working from home, I'd just toss the parts of my lunch - usually a fruit and a sandwich (supplemented by free fruits and other snacks at the office) - into my bag. If I was taking in leftovers, I would toss the container in a plastic bag from the grocery store.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
For more years than I like to admit, I used a Little Playmate cooler:

Then, working on a barge off shore for unknown hours each day, my "must have" list got bigger...and I increased to something like this:

I still have an Igloo soft Little Playmate, but it serves as a travel shower (dopp) kit nowadays.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
reused take-out Chinese containers or cheap-ass Target ziplock "tupperware." ...those things get used way beyond their shelf lives, but still they get packed with ~2-3 lbs foods, shoved into my very old messenger bag thing, and transported to the tiny, barely working fridge in the office. The food gets microwaved at some time in the day, and I eat it.

last week it was mostly black beans and rice with smoked turkey and sausages that I cooked in the Instant Pot (maybe 3 gallons of the stuff--and rice, often fresh every other night), and this week was rotated in with pork shoulder that I marinated kBBQ style and grilled on the Egg this recent Sunday, plus kimchi.

I just shove the whatever foods in the plastic containers and transport them to where I work.