What do you tip for pizza, chinese, indian, etc. food these days? Doordash or grocery delivery too?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I tip $5 for pizza, at a minimum, and often round the tip up to the next dollar to make an even amount of my card.

Walmart grocery delivery defaults to a $7 tip, which I'm ok with, as grocery delivery often includes multiple bags and trips back and forth from their car.

Not trying to be racist with the thread title, just not really "woke" as to how ethnic food is referred to these days. That's always how I refer to it.

I increase tips in the Winter or during heavy bouts of inclement or oppressively hot weather, or if they have to travel from the next town over or something. Most of what I order is in-town, within a 5min drive one-way.

My reason for asking this is, given both inflation and the price of gas, should I be increasing / doubling my tips? (I'm on a relatively fixed income.)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
The only places here that deliver are 2 of the 3 pizza joints. We have a start-up delivery service (not door dash or uber eats) but they're pretty expensive.
When I get a pizza delivered, the normal tip is $5, (on top of the built-in delivery charge) but that can go to $10 if we order numerous pizzas, if the driver (and pizza makers) are fast.......

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The only places here that deliver are 2 of the 3 pizza joints. We have a start-up delivery service (not door dash or uber eats) but they're pretty expensive.
When I get a pizza delivered, the normal tip is $5, (on top of the built-in delivery charge) but that can go to $10 if we order numerous pizzas, if the driver (and pizza makers) are fast.......
Man. That's a bummer. I can get like 20+ different types of cuisines delivered here in a jiffy. Including like 20 pizza/Italian places. A variety of food is key to happiness.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Man. That's a bummer. I can get like 20+ different types of cuisines delivered here in a jiffy. Including like 20 pizza/Italian places. A variety of food is key to happiness.

Our food selection here sucks. We have SOME variety...3 pizza places, a couple of fish and chips places, a soon-to-open italian place, one thai restaurant, one sushi place, a few "general" restaurants, and a couple of bars with food that's better than most of the restaurants. Oh, one McDonalds owned by the town's mayor and a Subway that none of the locals will eat in...only the tourists. TERRIBLE food.
Many of us are fighting to get the city to allow food trucks. On our busy tourist weekends, (this weekend was one of them) wait times for the restaurants can top 2 hours...but, of course, with the mayor owning the McD's...which often has a drive-through line exceeding an hour, the city has banned food trucks, even though it would be a net win for the city.

KidNiki1

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2010
kroger grocery delivery is flat delivery fee, no tipping allowed. and, they are a substantial savings over the close to me stores, even with the 9.99 delivery fee.

pizza is really the only already prepared food we get delivered, and i usually go with 7-8 bucks tip, no matter the bill. otherwise, if i go to pick up food, i tip a couple of bucks.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I don't get groceries or food delivered, feels like a waste of money between delivery fees and tips.
Same here. I can't remember EVER ordering food or groceries delivered to me.

I make my own pizzas from scratch. Grow the tomatoes too.

I have made 100's of pizzas.

Currently I make one a week. 4 different gourmet cheeses, ~10 different toppings of my choice and selection. It's BETTER than your pizza!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Same here. I can't remember EVER ordering food or groceries delivered to me.

I make my own pizzas from scratch. Grow the tomatoes too.

Groceries I can kind of understand .... but you've NEVER had prepared food delivered ???

:oops: :D

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Groceries I can kind of understand .... but you've NEVER had prepared food delivered ???

:oops: :D
Correct. Even after shoulder and foot surgery! I suppose a GF has brought me something, but that's different.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Correct. Even after shoulder and foot surgery!

Morally opposed to delivery-guys or something? ;)

With the level of concern you expressed over Covid I would have expected you of all people to be big on home-delivery of everything!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

With the level of concern you expressed over Covid I would have expected you of all people to be big on home-delivery of everything!
No, when covid was getting going in spring of 2020 I was afraid of fomites. That wouldn't have worked for me.

Not morally opposed to delivery-guys, I had a couple delivery jobs, however they weren't food delivery, they were package etc. delivery.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Don't get me wrong.... normally I prefer to "go and get it" myself however during the pandemic (and particularly during lockdown) I had a ton of stuff delivered.

Even had a "Dash-Pass" for awhile despite how much I despise those services.

Nov 17, 2019
Not in at least 30 years, maybe 40. Other than maybe a pizza some time in the 90s or 80s. I can't recall ever getting anything other than a pizza or maybe a bucket of spaghetti delivered. We always ordered, then went and got it.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Nah, he's just frugal.

My mom always cooked her own stuff. Plus, restaurant food is always more expensive than grocery food.

Nov 17, 2019
Restaurant food is likely to be Meisel, Sysco or Gordon frozen or canned stuff.

Speaking of bulk food or food service items, have any of you been to a GFS (Gordon Food Service) store?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Restaurant food is likely to be Meisel, Sysco or Gordon frozen or canned stuff.

Speaking of bulk food or food service items, have any of you been to a GFS (Gordon Food Service) store?
Sigh...

you mean.. ALTERNATOR SIZED OR BIGGER?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Our food selection here sucks. We have SOME variety...3 pizza places, a couple of fish and chips places, a soon-to-open italian place, one thai restaurant, one sushi place, a few "general" restaurants, and a couple of bars with food that's better than most of the restaurants. Oh, one McDonalds owned by the town's mayor and a Subway that none of the locals will eat in...only the tourists. TERRIBLE food.
Many of us are fighting to get the city to allow food trucks. On our busy tourist weekends, (this weekend was one of them) wait times for the restaurants can top 2 hours...but, of course, with the mayor owning the McD's...which often has a drive-through line exceeding an hour, the city has banned food trucks, even though it would be a net win for the city.
Oh man, I've seen that kind of corruption. I owned a food truck around here with a friend for a couple years. It was a really tough business and then it just got tougher as these restaurant owners like frothing at the mouth attacking us at these city council meetings. Of course they win because they pay property taxes. And the regulations came and now there are barely any gourmet food trucks in the New York City Northern New Jersey area.

Some of these restaurant owners had a full service bar sit down service and they're trying to say we are competing with them with a foil wrapped chicken kabob sandwich.

It got so bad that they prevented food trucks from serving at a farmers market. We used to do it once a week and it was a nice night for us people loved having a food truck there.

Some cities are good like I heard Portland has these like food truck areas with tables for everyone and the food trucks are just allowed to park there