What do you think will happen when Andromeda gets close to Milkey Way?

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
... Millions of years from now? I imagine advanced civilizations in both galaxies doing complex calculations as to the galaxy approach speed, their own potential space flight speed, their other technology relating to long-term travel, suspended sleep, etc., to determine JUST the right time to shoot out from one galaxy to the other. You will see a stream of ships from both galaxies shooting across the narrowing void over the course of thousands of years. Many of these will be aimed at trying to conquer some regions of the other galaxy. Shots will be fired. There will be great explosions and many deaths. A galactic war will rage as civilizaiton(s) from one galaxy try and conquer the other, and vice versa.

What say you?

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Advanced civilizations will realize that the two galaxies are going to merge into a single giant galaxy, so that there wouldn't be a need to go rocketing off into the other one. They'd wait for the new neighbors to move in, then say howdy.

Luckily humans will be extinct long before that, so Andromeda doesn't need to worry about setting up an intergalactic extermination program before we ruin their neighborhood.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Advanced civilizations will realize that the two galaxies are going to merge into a single giant galaxy, so that there wouldn't be a need to go rocketing off into the other one. They'd wait for the new neighbors to move in, then say howdy.

Luckily humans will be extinct long before that, so Andromeda doesn't need to worry about setting up an intergalactic extermination program before we ruin their neighborhood.

WRONG. They will want to be among the first to get into the other galaxy to see if that other galaxy has any planets, etc. they can control. If they wait the will lose huge possibilities, other civilizations would have already bridged the gap and established themselves in the other galaxy long before they formally merge. To wait is to lose out on HUGE possibilities. It will play out just like I described.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I thought I read somewhere that the merging of the galaxies would be catastrophic for life (on Earth or other planets). But I could be mis-remembering. I wish I lived like three, or thirty, thousand years from now. fml

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I thought I read somewhere that the merging of the galaxies would be catastrophic for life (on Earth or other planets). But I could be mis-remembering. I wish I lived like three, or thirty, thousand years from now. fml
Eh, galaxies are mostly empty space.

Reactions: whm1974 and Thebobo

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Any civilization that has made use of a substantial portion of their own galaxy would probably find intergalactic travel trivial. They almost certainly would have some sort of FTL travel in order to maintain any sort of coherence in their own galaxy.

Its far more likely that any such ventures would be scientific in nature rather than territorial. Even those would absolutely require FTL travel to occur in a timescale we could comprehend.

The one scenario I could see is that a civilization on a single star could see another star on a close approach several million years out and start planning how to move to another star. That's something that might take hundreds or thousands of years to accomplish. Imagine if the ancient greeks determined alpha centauri would collide with us. It would be this whole dooms day looming ahead and I could see the whole civ pushing to get off planet. Can you imagine today if we had known for sure that the solar system has a doomday clock and we've just recently discovered space flight and it might be possible to leave?

squirrel dog

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
It's called space for a reason . There is so much empty space between the merging bodies , that it would go undetected by most beings .

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I would imagine gravitational pull will have some effect, but probably not enough to cause any huge issue. The night sky will get brighter though as there will be a galaxy's worth of extra stars.

Speaking of which I think I captured it at some point without even realizing. Is that the brighter object in the lower right part of that pic?

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
It's called space for a reason . There is so much empty space between the merging bodies , that it would go undetected by most beings .

Maybe it will be like Buckaroo Banzai driving through the mountain.

abb1.jpg

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Galactic snorgle?

Speaking of which I think I captured it at some point without even realizing. Is that the brighter object in the lower right part of that pic?
I did a search of amateur pics trying to find one with similar aspect & found this. I'd say they look similar, so yeah, yours is probably Andromeda galaxy.
Code:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7111/7812836124_ac224578af_z.jpg

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Depends. If humans are still around, the Sol solar system might leave the merged galaxies and go floating around intergalactic space AKA a Rouge Solar System. Or we wouldn't notice much a all.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
The invertibrites will abandon Andromeda and invade the Milkey Way.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Depends. If humans are still around, the Sol solar system might leave the merged galaxies and go floating around intergalactic space AKA a Rouge Solar System. Or we wouldn't notice much a all.

If humans are still around it won't be in this solar system. OPs sense of time is as faulty as his concept of logic. The merge is going to happen about 4 BILLION years from now, not millions of years. Even if we mange to avoid extincting ourselves via war or ecological disaster and even if we dodge asteroids, comets and gamma ray bursts that could wipe us out like the dinosaurs, it won't matter. That's long past the point where the sun will start to die and expand in size, so the Earth will be fried to a crisp worse than Mercury is now. The surviving solar system of Sol and the outer planets could be ejected from the new galaxy or it could crash into a passing star, but no humans are going to be involved.

rickyfighters

Banned
Oct 25, 2019
... Millions of years from now? I imagine advanced civilizations in both galaxies doing complex calculations as to the galaxy approach speed, their own potential space flight speed, their other technology relating to long-term travel, suspended sleep, etc., to determine JUST the right time to shoot out from one galaxy to the other. You will see a stream of ships from both galaxies shooting across the narrowing void over the course of thousands of years. Many of these will be aimed at trying to conquer some regions of the other galaxy. Shots will be fired. There will be great explosions and many deaths. A galactic war will rage as civilizaiton(s) from one galaxy try and conquer the other, and vice versa.

What say you?

You can't spell because you're mentally retarded.

rickyfighters

Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Really dude? This is how you want to start posting @ ATF, by calling someone retarded??!

The idiot is under the impression that "milky" is spelled "milkey." He therefore clearly has Down syndrome.

You have been told repeatedly to act appropriately here. You seem to not care.

Iron Woode

Super Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: