What do you think were real reasons for war?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
OIL and a lot more....Lemme xplain

If Iraq and the region did'nt have oil and the region was'nt such a dangerous/perilous with Saddam running the show in Iraq we would'nt be as attentive to the problems over there. Oil and it's price affects out economy more than any commodity, and it affects our national security. We must not see it highjacked by one man or a few men. If Saddam eventually had some serious nukes.. game is over...He wins...He is the most powerful man in the ME and maybe the world. He would own Kuwait, and the oil rich feilds of SA and little could be done w/o massive casullties and perhaps the destruction of Israel. There are tons of Saddams in Africa but we don't care (as Much).

So looked at in this light I say.... SO, whats wrong with a war against Saddam and his henchmen for the worlds oil? He did'nt earn it. and has only used his gift for malace, destruction and personel gain.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: phillyTIM
In no specific order --

1. The Self-legitimacy of Bush's presidency
2. The Bush regime's re-election bid
3. World domination
4. $HIGH$ Contracts for the Bush regime's friends/companies (Halliburton (sp?), etc.)
5. OIL.

WMD's and the Iraqui people were nothing but smoke screens for this invasion of aggression. Importance of WMD finds seem less and less each day, and they don't seem to give much a damn for the Iraqi people (shooting them, allowing their heritage to be looted (art museums, etc.).

Hey, found some WMD, and links to AL-Queeda.

Guess your anti Bush rantings were wrong, he was being legitthe whole time, nice to know the truth though isnt it?

Where have you been anyway?

And the rest of the opposers in this forum? Those with oil theories and US imperialism BS?
I got so used to hearing you all tell me I was a fool, cmon, I can keep ignoring the facts just like you did and it will be just like old times.....;)

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I think there is a symbiotic relationship between Bush who wants to distract the country from the economic problems and neoconservatives at the pentagon who like to flaunt US power all over the world.

montanafan

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
I believe that taking control of the Iraqi oilfields is a huge motivating factor for the Bush
administration, but I don't believe that greed is behind it. I'm not naive, I know that Bush
and his buddies are oil men and that the oil companies are gleefully rubbing their hands
and smiling at the prospect of the profits to be gained from the conflict. But I don't believe that lining the pockets of the oil company CEOs is his main focus in deciding to take this step at this time.

I believe that he is focusing on the big picture and the long term when it comes to the war
on terrorism. Look at Iraq on a map. Having a foothold there and where we already do in Afghanistan, along with moderate Arab allies like Turkey and Jordan, and of course our ally Israel, all give us a pretty good representation in the Middle East. Iran, Syria, and yes, Saudi Arabia have to be feeling pretty nervous right now and that's part of the bigger picture. Those are three of the biggest harbingers of ill will toward the United States when it comes to terrorism. Terrorism is practically a national product in Syria and most of the terrorists involved in the recent attacks on the U.S. were from Saudi Arabia, a country that talks out of both sides of its mouth to the U.S. for business purposes and about the U.S. to its people in the government controlled media.

I don't think Bush is planning an attack on Syria, but I'm sure there are those in the administration who are pushing for it. I think it would be wrong to do so right now; we have them nervous and cooperative enough at the moment, but if pushed to do so, we're in an excellent position.

I believe that when it comes to oil and Iraq, its not for the benefit of U.S. oil companies, but as a leveraging tool with Syria, Iran, and Saudi Arabia among others. Cutting off the flow of oil from Iraq to Syria was a huge wake-up call for them. Having Saudi Arabia know that we don't feel so dependent on their oil and therefore free to take a harsher stance with them when it comes to some of their practices and policies could begin to make a difference there.

We're in an excellent position to make a real difference in U.S. / Middle East relations right now, but there are a lot of unknowns. If the peace in Iraq is not handled properly, we could end up with an even more unstable region, but if we handle things well, we could end up with an important ally and an example of democracy that citizens of places like Iran, Syria, and Saudi Arabia envy and want to work toward achieving for themselves.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Jani
Please no flame wars. Respect other opinions too even if you don't agree those.

I think main reasons are (+-5%):

Believed WMD's 30%
Fear of terrorism 15%
Oil 30%
Oil and euro vs. dollar less than 5%
Imperialism 20%
Iraq liberation 0%

So I think true reasons are believed WMD's, fear and oil. Iraq liberation was no reason at all beforehand but now afterwards it is good justifying reason. Imperialism, I mean that USA wants to secure its posession in Middle East.

Establish a military and political base in Iraq from which the US can protect oil supplies and project power, I mean influence, other countries in the area.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Alistar7
Lets see a link to the WMD found please, and not just "suspected" BS.
As far as links to AL-Queeda, can you name any Mid-Eastern or even European country that hasn't had Al-Quaeda members? Supposedly the 9-11 project was funded by Saudi Arabia how come you don't see us invading them?

Guess your anti Bush rantings were wrong, he was being legitthe whole time, nice to know the truth though isnt it?
I still believe Bush is legit about as much as I believe that Michael Jackson only had 2 plastic surgeries. Strike that, MJ has more credibility than Bush.

And the rest of the opposers in this forum? Those with oil theories and US imperialism BS?
I got so used to hearing you all tell me I was a fool, cmon, I can keep ignoring the facts just like you did and it will be just like old times.....;)

I stand by my belief that the real reasons for the war are economic. (That doesn't necessarily mean the war is for oil).

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: glugglug
Originally posted by: Alistar7
Lets see a link to the WMD found please, and not just "suspected" BS.
As far as links to AL-Queeda, can you name any Mid-Eastern or even European country that hasn't had Al-Quaeda members? Supposedly the 9-11 project was funded by Saudi Arabia how come you don't see us invading them?

I still believe Bush is legit about as much as I believe that Michael Jackson only had 2 plastic surgeries. Strike that, MJ has more credibility than Bush.

I stand by my belief that the real reasons for the war are economic. (That doesn't necessarily mean the war is for oil).

N.Y. Times: Iraqi Biological Weapons Scientist Admits He Lied To U.N. Inspectors

If that's not enough proof for you after everything else, nothing is going to be.

I know of Al-queeda's links to Sa and other countires, all I said was there was also a link to Iraq, which was one of the 2 major reasons Bush gave for the action, BOTH have panned out unlike most people apparently thought. Honestyl, I didn't think they would find such a clear al-queeda link but the WMD were a no brainer from day 1.