Question What do you think the Late 2020 Intel desktop will be?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Alright, since it seems settled that the 2019 Intel Desktop is going to be Comet Lake, what do you think the 2020 will be?

Tried to come up with all the possible options.

Spartak

Jul 4, 2015
it's not settled what architecture comet lake will be. I have claimed before and after last week Intel strongly hinted it will be Sunny Cove. A poll for comet lake would be more relevant in spite of your claims you know exactly what comet lake will be.

For 2020 Tiger lake on 10nm+ is most likely.

Reactions: happy medium

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
it's not settled what architecture comet lake will be. I have claimed before and after last week Intel strongly hinted it will be Sunny Cove. A poll for comet lake would be more relevant in spite of your claims you know exactly what comet lake will be.

For 2020 Tiger lake on 10nm+ is most likely.
Comet Lake is just 10c SKL.

Reactions: maddogmcgee

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Speaking of which, Adored doubled down on his claims of a 5ghz ryzen with 16 cores
It just seems .. unlikely.
BUT
Lets assume for a second that ryzen 3 can deliver. Intel would have to dig through their chests of unreleased alien technology to match them on the HEDT segment. Pull another Conroe, so to speak.

Now THAT would be cool.

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
It just seems .. unlikely.
N7 apparently uses Co for maybe contacts and maybe vias so it's more likely than you think.
Pull another Conroe, so to speak.
Conroe effect was mostly Ruinz thinking he can ride K8 into Valhalla and not Intel being super-awesome.
Because Pentium M was awesome before that, lel.

AMD has smoking hot roadmap of cores so it ain't gonna happen again.

Last edited:

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Honestly, Intel has missed so many targets over the last several years until there is actually a part out the door, and 3rd party reviewed it doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. They may indeed have something great in the lab, and that's all fine. But until their products are actually in the wild it just sounds like marketing to me.

Reactions: poohbear

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
N7 apparently uses Co for maybe contacts and maybe vias so it's more likely than you think.

Conroe effect was mostly Ruinz thinking he can ride K8 into Valhalla and not Intel being super-awesome.
Because Pentium M was awesome before that, lel.

AMD has smoking hot roadmap of cores so it ain't gonna happen again.
Ruinz (great name) and his top brass really screwed AMD at the time. Classic example of extremely short term Wall Street thinking.

stuff_me_good

Nov 2, 2013
Don't really care. Ryzen 3000 to the win and it will be my next build. Intel lost me as an customer they started to assram me with minimal updates yet increasing prices.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Looks like the winner is going to be one of the 14 nm Willow Cove options... or maybe Skylake yet again? Guess we will have to see what CPU core Rocket Lake uses.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
it's not settled what architecture comet lake will be.
Come it's Late will be whatever it wants to be.
From Tom's Hardware:
That changed in early March 2019 as the Comet Lake PCI CPUIDs, used for identifying the processor to an operating system, were listed on freedesktop.org, an organization that helps ensure interoperability for Linux-based operating systems. This posting gave us little information to work on, aside from the note that the processors wielded Intel's Gen9 graphics, which implies the chips come with some variant of the 14nm process. The listing also states that Comet Lake "comes off" the Coffee Lake family, which suggests the chips feature that same microarchitecture.
So it turns out Comet Lake decided on what it wants to be, and it wants to be a 10c Skylake derivative.