What do you think the Iraq War memorial will look like, and when will it go up?

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
We are over 500 dead in this conflict. I wonder if it will take more than 50 years to come up with something, as WWII did.... What do you think it will look like?

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
The memorial will probably be some dead soldiers around a box labeled "Iraqi WMD." The box will have butterflies coming out of it.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Aren't we still waiting for a WWII memorial? I think a few more people died in that one... I may be wrong though...

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: BDawg
The memorial will probably be some dead soldiers around a box labeled "Iraqi WMD." The box will have butterflies coming out of it.

thats a pretty intensely vonnegut-y image.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: BDawg

With all due respect to our "Fallen Soldiers", it will most likely be a WMD (Weapons of Mass Donkey).

NickE

Mar 18, 2000
Originally posted by: MacBaine
Aren't we still waiting for a WWII memorial? I think a few more people died in that one... I may be wrong though...

That's certainly true, but it got me remembering something I once read - something like half a million UK soldiers died, about the same number of Americans, but around 26 million Russians! Makes you understand a bit why they acted like they did in the 50's and 60's.

I don't think there will be one, since the 'war' ended before those 500 were killed, and many Presidents (esp. GOP ones) wouldn't want to admit that a war was going on after the major combat operations ended. Plus, isn't the Iraq war, as President Bush has stated many, many times, just a building block in the War on Terror? I think there will be a WOT memorial eventually, but I don't think this Iraq conflict will get its own.