What Do You Think Of This Car? (#2)

Shantanu

Banned
Feb 6, 2001
Cadillac CTS

Exterior Picture #1
Exterior Picture #2

This car is built on the new Sigma Rear-Wheel Drive platform built by SAAB (which GM now owns :D). GM hopes to model all future Cadillacs (STS, DTS, etc.) in the foreseeable future after the CTS. This car was tested and tweaked by German engineers on the same snowy Bavarian slopes on which they test BMWs. The protoype (tested by the various auto magazines) handles as good as a Mercedes or Lexus; hopefully, we'll see the same caliber performance from the vehicles that will come out of Cadillac's new assembly plant in Lansing, Michigan.

"In addition to its expressive design, the Catera-replacing CTS promises more lively performance than its predecessor. The new 3.2-liter V-6 is a re-engineered version of the Catera's 3.0-liter V-6 that makes 220 hp at 6000 rpm and 218 lb-ft of torque at 3400 rpm. While most V-6 engines use a 60-degree inclination, the CTS team chose a 54-degree bank angle to accommodate the packaging requirements of CTS. Contrary to the current product line, Cadillac's new sedan will be available with either a five-speed manual or BMW-shared five-speed automatic transmission."

0-60 performance is described as "under 7 seconds". A high performance variety of the car is also in the works for 2004 or 2005. The car comes out in 2003, and will be priced around $30,000-$35,000. This is the first Cadillac which I would actually want to own. The only thing that might scare me off: It will also be featured in the Matrix 2. Overexposure and Keanu Reeves, d'oh.

Original "What Do You Think Of This Car Thread": Pontiac Vibe

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
At first glance it looks strikingly similar to the Nissan Skyline from the 3/4 angle, especially the sketch.

Shantanu

Banned
Feb 6, 2001
This car ain't no sketch buddy. It's cruising around on German mountaintops as we speak... err.. type ;) Automobile magazine had several more good photographs of this car a few months ago, but I was unable to locate them on the internet.

Sugadaddy

Banned
May 12, 2000
I think it's fugly.

Man, it seems like GM will never see the light at the end of the "uglyass cars" tunnel...

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Cadillac has a website up for this car (with pictures).

It's the first car we'll see that has Cadillac's new more angular design philosophy. At first, I thought it was a little too "futuristic" but the design is growing on me somewhat, although it's still not my favorite by any means.

If the public doesn't take to the styling of the CTS, Cadillac is in trouble because all of their future cars have similar design elements, judging from their recent concept vehicles.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I don't like the front, it's ok from the side or back. "0-60 under 7" is way too optimistic, according to some reviews. We'll see. At least it look original, unlike some car companies that want to look like Mercedes or BMW.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Given that GM is behind it, my expectations are low for the final product. Looks OK, but they should turn those headlights on their sides. They'd fit better.

Shantanu

Banned
Feb 6, 2001
I don't think it's overpriced. $30,000 is a fair sum for a 190" long, luxury RWD Sedan that - reportedly - handles like a BMW and has under 7 second 0-60 acceleration. SAAB, Volvo, Infiniti, Acura, etc. these cars are overpriced, as they typically charge $30-$50K for FWD cars. I like the pronounced angular styling on this car more than than any other luxury car brands except for SAAB and BMW, and perhaps Volvo.

Some details from Motor Trend: " This boldly styled 3500-lb American performance sedan is designed and engineered to redefine what a Cadillac is. It's got all the right high-performance pieces including rear drive, a billet-solid chassis, lag-free rack-and-pinion steering, a sweet-sounding 3.2L/220-hp DOHC V-6, 17-in. rolling stock, a neatly gated five-speed manual transmission (or optional close-ratio five-speed auto), and independent rear suspension. Its styling is the first production translation of the themes established by Cadillac "Art & Science" concept cars like the EVOQ and IMAJ."

I like this part best: "We recently had a chance to confirm our on-paper assessment by putting this Catera replacement to the test on Germany's legendary 12.8-mile-long Nürburgring race course. Our opinion is that a BMW 330i will have a challenge matching the scorching pace we set in the CTS." :D

Link to Motor Trend Article

More details, pictures here: Cadillac CTS

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
I think it's pretty cool looking. And for those of you down talking GM, remember that BMW buys all of their five-speed auto transmissions from them. The tranny is a GM design.