What do you think of the Mazda RX-7?

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
My friend wants to get a 1987 Mazda RX-7 (twin turbo). Right now he drives a Ford Tempo (84) or Suzuki Swift (95). The RX-7 he's looking at is $3.5k Canadian.. so that's probably around $2000-2200 USD, guessing. The car *looks* to be in good condition, has a nice hood scoop, but otherwise is nice, plain and clean (silver). I know about Mazda and their rotary engines. That's why my concern is that the car is over 15 years old... it says the engine was rebuilt though, so maybe it's still in good running condition? In any case, if he gets that, it should be a fun car to have if it works well. Somewhere in the vicinity of 180-190hp and torque, yielding approx. 6 sec 0-60 (only the twin turbos of that era.. the regulars weren't so fast).

I think the car has about 180,000km on it. So for the price, would you go for it?

Desslok

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Take it to a mechanic that KNOWS rotary engines. Have him/her look it over. I had a 3rd gen twin turbo and I LOVED it. They can be spendy to repair though so know what your getting yourself into.

Chris

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Does your friend plan on keeping an extra $2,000 a year available for repairs?

If he can't afford to cough up $200 here, $400 there, ect, ect then he can't afford this car. Rotary's aren't cheap to work on, and they aren't known for being uber reliable engines...rebuild or not.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
RX7 rotary engines usually blow out around 75,000 - 100,000 miles (b/c of the turbo) so check when the engine was rebuilt. Unless it was done REALLY recently (not likely since that itself costs nearly 3 grand) I'd be really skeptical of the condition of the car.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
WTF? "maxa".. how the hell did that happen :confused:

Well... he will have the money for repairs, depending on what he's doing in the near future. Before the RX-7, he was considering an MR2 or Celica GT-S.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
awwww, I thought you meant the latest generation models.........I think those are gorgeous (someone down the street has TWO of them!). But as for the 3rd gen's, they're still nice car, but I agree that the "upkeep" will be killer.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
awwww, I thought you meant the latest generation models.........I think those are gorgeous (someone down the street has TWO of them!). But as for the 3rd gen's, they're still nice car, but I agree that the "upkeep" will be killer.
I know... such a friggin sweet car. THAT model is a little out of his league though, that's for sure. :p he's only 17 and is paying for this himself..

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I would say look for a 1st gen hooptie or a 3rd gen sexy money pit, the 2nd gen is so 80's bland

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: RSI
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
I know... such a friggin sweet car. THAT model is a little out of his league though, that's for sure. :p he's only 17 and is paying for this himself..

Probably not a good car for someone his age, I looked at them back when I was looking for cars too. Attractive at their current price level, but you'd better be willing to financially support it.

Viper GTS

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
I like RX-7s. My dad has an '84 with the original tires on it still :Q

They're fun cars....especially the Turbo (182hp from 80ci...not bad!) but I suppose maintenance and parts will be higher, especially given the mileage. I'd get it if I had a second car to drive.

BTW, twin turbos didn't arrive until '93, with the 3rd generation RX-7s. ;)

JC

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
This is what Kelly Blue Book says:

Blue Book Private Party Report
New York ? July 3, 2002

1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo Coupe 2D

Engine: 1.3L Turbo Rotary
Trans: 5 Speed Manual
Drive: Rear Wheel Drive
Mileage: 111,851

Equipment
Air Conditioning, Power Steering, Power Windows, Tilt Wheel, Cruise Control, AM/FM Stereo, Cassette, Sliding Sun Roof, Alloy Wheels

Consumer Rated Condition: Good
"Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. The paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. In states where rust is a problem, this should be very minimal, and a deduction should be made to correct it. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A clean title history is assumed. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail; however major reconditioning should be deducted from the value. Most recent model cars owned by consumers fall into this category.

Private Party Value $2,420
Private Party value represents what you might expect to pay for a used car when purchasing from a private party. It may also represent the value you might expect to receive when selling your own used car to another private party.

poopaskoopa

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2000
I've been looking at 1993/1994 RX7 to pick up.... All of them seem to want $14,000 or up, which seems a little much for what they are. That, and the typical ads that read like, "Never abused, Never raced! Lady driven. Runs great!!! xx,xxx miles on the NEW motor." I want one badly, but it just seems like I'll be driving an fast-moving time bomb. Reading its common problems on rx7.org didn't help either. :( Still want one though.

rx8

Aug 19, 2001
2nd gen turbo rx7's are very hard to find these days. perhaps even more harder to find than a 3rd gen. the price is more than fair i think if the engine rebuild can be proved. obviously get a compression test to make sure. i had a non-turbo 2nd gen rx7 and honestly i will say that it is a high maintance car. not absurdly high but you do need to take care of it. if he is a pure car enthusist though, having driven and owned a rx7 is i think a rewarding and fun experience.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
My dad used to own one and had problems with it all the time. Plastic parts in the interior would just fall off. The air intake disconnected from the engine. It needed an engine rebuild at 50,000. While the car worked, it was an awesome car to drive; quite a bit of an upgrade from the original Miata he had before (which is still in the family and never gave any trouble). Now, he has a Boxster S which he loves even more.

Edit: Dad's was a 3rd gen, not 2nd. I don't know if 2nds hold up better. He used to have a '79 RX-7 that was wonderful.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I wouldn't buy it.. that car is a money pit. while they are nice... they are hard to keep on the road unless you have money and time to burn. that's too many KMs for one of those cars. IMHO. they are quick cars though, just not the most user friendly shall we say..

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: poopaskoopa
I've been looking at 1993/1994 RX7 to pick up.... All of them seem to want $14,000 or up, which seems a little much for what they are. That, and the typical ads that read like, "Never abused, Never raced! Lady driven. Runs great!!! xx,xxx miles on the NEW motor." I want one badly, but it just seems like I'll be driving an fast-moving time bomb. Reading its common problems on rx7.org didn't help either. :( Still want one though.

There just doesn't seem to be many 93-98's around at all, does there? I wonder if it's because they didn't sell any or the people that have them are keeping them.

<-----buys a Tradin' Times every week.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
There just doesn't seem to be many 93-98's around at all, does there?

Those cars are collector's items that's why.. very hard to find... rare and expensive...

Xntrk

Jun 27, 2002
I would look more in the direction of a 1988-1992 Toyota Supra Turbo II. It has the 7M-GTE engine in it, 3.0L inline 6 that is reliable as hell. You can pick one up for about 500-1500 more then a rx-7.

My neighbor drives a FD rx-7 and it is a truly beautiful car. My background of my desktop is of a rx-7. They are a very rare car to see lately, which is a shame because that 13B motor is incredible, and the styling of the rx-7 is unique from any other car coming from japan, excluding the NSX.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
RX7s are pretty good cars. I like the way they handle and me, being 6'4", has little trouble fitting in one because of the seat/pedal design. I wouldn't buy one though, but that's mainly beause of insurance prices and what not... But if your friend needs a car and they like the way it drives, tell em to go for it. Just make sure they have a mechanic check the engine.