What do you think of people who don't allow their profile to be displayed

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
There are quite a few people on this board (and other boards, of course) who borderline on trolls. All they do is flame and post very negative remarks.

I have noticed that pretty much 100% of these people don't allow their profile to be viewed. Coincidence?

Does it give them less credibility?

I think that if you keep this minor information hidden, it just makes it seem as if you are less "accountable."

Chef0083

Golden Member
Dec 9, 1999
I can see where you are coming from,, but some just don't want things like what's happend to Viper to happen to them. It makes it dificult to take them seriously though..

prodigy

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I keep my profile viewable, just not my e-mail addy. Whoever wants to find out can just PM me. :)

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I'm fine with that as long as they don't plan on participating in the For Sale forum, then having a profile visible should be mandatory.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I personally don't believe in having my profile viewable.
Maybe I'm a privacy freak, or maybe I just get too much spam/junk mail/ telemarketer calls to allow another avenue into my personal life for anyone on the net to see. As far as the For Sale/For trade forum goes, what's the difference if the profile is viewable? You could just as easily lie in your profile as you could in an e-mail or private message, couldn't you? If you have good credentials, that's what counts.

warlord

Golden Member
Oct 25, 1999
I've yet to hear a good excuse for not dispalying a profile. I don't like the spaming excuse either, get a junk account! and there are more junk email services besides hotmail.

anyhow, I like to be able to see a little something about people. expecially in OT, since you'll get people who aren't american posting a why this or that thread, you look at their profile and find out they're from Afganastan, and that pretty much explains thier POV.

just my $.02

IBhacknU

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
you can give as little or as much info as you like in your profile. Just edit accordingly

Chef0083

Golden Member
Dec 9, 1999
Warlord. Don't forget you can't use Junk accounts as your primary account here. You have to use a legit one,, so the only choice is to block it and put a junk account in your sig..

grillmasterP

Apr 2, 2000
A junk account or primary account- whats the difference.
What if I use my junk account(hotmail, yahoo, etc....) more than my primary account(@houston.rr.com)
Does that now make my junk account, my primary account.

warlord

Golden Member
Oct 25, 1999
just because its a junk account, doesn't mean its not legit. most isp's will allow you more than one email addy, thus you get warlord@alltel.net. ooooooo, spam it all you want. if it doesn't say the name of a company I bought something from, or Anandtech in the subject, its off to the trash.

Nick Stone

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
Persomally I don't see a problem with my having profile information available. In fact, I suspect I'm one of the few who doesn't care if people know my real name. Hasn't ever caused me a problem. Just an occasional technical question by e-mail. Never any harrassment. Then again I haven't been in many bar fights in my lifetime either.

Warrenton

Banned
Aug 7, 2000
Well everything is in my profile. Hell, soon you will even be able to get my IP addys from it because I will have a domain listing in there.

DABANSHEE

Banned
Dec 8, 1999
I agee with wingnut 100%.

Personally I think what happened to Viper, is a non issue, so what if you get a bit of spam, you'll get it anyway. You can always get a free web based email addy, for your profile (just not Yahoo or Hotmail).

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
I think they suck. They're obviously hiding something. I bet they're all in cahoots. Why don't those losers just come clean?

Oh wait, I don't have my profile available. Nevermind. ;)

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Some of us hide from marketers, others hide from the law. Still others hide from the government. And even more hide from employers! Seriously, the profile issue is not a big deal. Unzip if that's yer thang otherwise keep it hidden. A hidden profile does not equal poor post quality in most cases.

We will reveal ourselves when the time is right! Muahahaha! :)

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
I'm not saying that every person that doesn't have their profile available, is a troll.

However, it does seem to be a fact that every poster borderlining on troll-like stature has their profile hidden.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
(A perfect example of how having your profile available can make things interesting...)

Hey DABANSHEE... I'm guesssing that your city is pretty busy about this time. ;) My wife works at adidas, and it seems as though half of their employees are over there.

DABANSHEE

Banned
Dec 8, 1999
Yeh things are pretty crazy.

I'm thinking of doing an Anantech Olympic report in a couple of days.

But I've been a bit busy mowing about 20 lawns over the last 3 days, so I'm in no hurry.