What do you think of Home Depot's Glacier Bay brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
One of the knobs on my shower stall just cracked and has to be replaced.

Initially just thinking about replacing the knob itself for about $10, but saw this Glacier Bay set that would match shower stall decor pretty well:

http://www.homedepot.com/webap...4764&categoryID=501258

Can anyone comment on quality, reliability, and durability of Home Depot's Glacier Bay brand?

Also, are all of these shower knobs and replacements standard size? (the valve seems to have a teethed gear at end which I think knob slides onto and then is held in place with screw).

While googling for Home Depot Glacier Bay, also stumbled across this replacement sink set: http://www.homedepot.com/webap...+501572+90401+10000003

Nov 5, 2001
you get what you pay for with most fixtures. That said, i'd put them in my house if i didn't plan on living there for more than a few years.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
We've had a Glacier Bay shower head for nine years with no problems. However, with no moving parts, there isn't a lot that can go wrong with a shower head.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
How much do you have to pay for quality set if I plan on living here for many years?

And any particular brands to look at?

And what tends to fail with cheaper sets like the Glacier Bay set (right now, I think I have original builder set from 1989).

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I've purchased a few glacier bay items. Can't remember what it was specifically, but for some reason, I've developed the reaction to the brand of "cheap crap made in China."

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
I have limited experience with Glacier Bay products(one failed 3 year-old kitchen faucet) so I would pay a little more for better quality.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
Is Moen consider the best in absolute sense, or best value for quality product?

What other brands should I look at for reasonably priced, but quality built and reliable products?

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
Broadly speaking, how much do you have to spend for a quality shower set (shower head and a hot and cold knob)?

And with the Glacier Bay set linked above, is main issue that it will leak over time, or will chrome finish just start to rust due to moisture?

Status
Not open for further replies.