What do you think of Democrats hitting 60 in the Senate?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Thought this would be interesting to talk about. Predictions for the house and Senate post election.

If this happens it will be:
House 260D 175R
Senate 54D 44R with 2I that vote Democrat mostly.

Larry Sabato
So we believe Democrats are on track to win anywhere from 57 to 60 Senate seats. If they really get lucky, and there is a true party wave, they could conceivably move up to 62 by sweeping the board and upsetting the KY and GA incumbents. We're not there yet. At the moment, Democrats are most likely to end up with 58 or 59 seats. Gee, isn't this getting very close to the magic 60?
Sabato doesn't talk about the house.

Thoughts?

Merged

Anandtech Senior Moderator
Red Dawn

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Robor, he is not he is one of the 2 I's. But he still votes with Dems on most issues and doubt that changes.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Robor, he is not he is one of the 2 I's. But he still votes with Dems on most issues and doubt that changes.

I'm aware he's an 'I' but he spoke at the GOP convention in support of McCain. You don't think the Dems resent that?

Text <=== I guess we'll see after the election.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
if the dems end up with 58 seats + 2 caucusing independents, Joe Lieberman could wind up as the most powerful man in the senate while the Obama administration is trying to get its feet off the ground.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Thoughts are: 1) Somewhat scared about what will happen, 2) It's good because maybe the republicans will reinvent themselves in a good way and the country has a better option in the republican candidate in 2012.

Of course, pigs could fly, too.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The Dems getting 60 would be BAD news for the country. Period.

In the end the (R)'s have themselves to blame.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
i think the idea of Democrats getting 60 should be scary to everyone except the most leftist of us.

Having one party control government is bad, having one party have complete control and the ability to do whatever it wants could be a disaster.

Right it looks like the Dems will end up a few seats short of the 60 mark.

I would really like to hear what our Democrat members have to say about this issue.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Not a Dem, but if they do hit 60 it would most likely be bad as we just saw with Bush and the Reps.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
i think the idea of Democrats getting 60 should be scary to everyone except the most leftist of us.

Having one party control government is bad, having one party have complete control and the ability to do whatever it wants could be a disaster.

Right it looks like the Dems will end up a few seats short of the 60 mark.

I would really like to hear what our Democrat members have to say about this issue.

What are you afraid of, moving forward rather than backward? 60 Dems in the Senate would be great!

bdude

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2004
I don't remember you clamoring about the right's move toward 60 back in 2004. Or the nuclear option for that matter.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Doubt it will happen. Lieberman would probably switch.

The right wasn't moving to 60 in 2004, anyway.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
giving democrats control of the house, the presidency, and a filibuster-proof margin in the senate would be guaranteeing a single term for Obama.

DarrelSPowers

Jul 9, 2008
Single party control is never a good thing, but I think there's a better chance of a national decriminalization bill being put through with 60 Dems than 60 Reps, and I'd rather have that than another war.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Why was it OK for your heroes?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I can't wait for the damn that's held the country in the dark ages to break. It can't happen soon enough. We have been in the gravity well of lift off for too many years.

The fear of change gives way when the present is nothing but disaster.

Please, you Neanderthals who have ruined our country, get the f out of the way.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
538 puts the chances at about 30%. I have no problem with it, I'm willing to give them 2 years and see what happens. If the people aren't happy, in 2 years they can change 1/3 of the senate and the entire house.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: DarrelSPowers
Single party control is never a good thing, but I think there's a better chance of a national decriminalization bill being put through with 60 Dems than 60 Reps, and I'd rather have that than another war.

I'm not sure Obama would go as far as decriminalization. From what I found he said he would sign a medical marijuana bill but that he would not promote one or attempt to get it passed in Congress.

I assume you're talking drugs here.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
The RNC should pull some money from the McCain/Palin campaign and throw it at some of those races where their incumbents are in jeopardy of losing. Man wouldn't that frost old McCains cookies.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jonks
538 puts the chances at about 30%. I have no problem with it, I'm willing to give them 2 years and see what happens. If the people aren't happy, in 2 years they can change 1/3 of the senate and the entire house.

:thumbsup:

DarrelSPowers

Jul 9, 2008
Originally posted by: Farang
Originally posted by: DarrelSPowers

I'm not sure Obama would go as far as decriminalization. From what I found he said he would sign a medical marijuana bill but that he would not promote one or attempt to get it passed in Congress.

I assume you're talking drugs here.

Yeah, and I know the topic is a steaming pile of doo-doo in most career politician's eyes, but hey there's always "hope."

haha :D