What do you think is the best way to answer this interview question?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by demenion, Jun 19, 2008.

1. demenion

demenion Golden Member

List the steps you would take to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

2. Pacfanweb

Pacfanweb Lifer

I'd tell my wife to make me one.

3. loki8481

loki8481 Lifer

1. call subordinate
    2. ask him to make me a PB&J sandwich while I do real work

4. darkswordsman17

I'd probably start by asking if the person interviewing me seriously believes how I answer this question will give them any real insight into how I would fit in working for them. Aside from a position as their peanut butter jelly sandwich maker, I'd have to say that its pointless. If they answer yes, I'd probably stand up, thank them for their time and leave. If they say no, I'd then ask if we could move on to the real part of the interview.

5. FDF12389

FDF12389 Diamond Member

I might do the same depending on the job I'm interviewing for.

6. slackwarelinux

slackwarelinux Senior member

First I'd preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

7. SneakyStuff

SneakyStuff Diamond Member

"I have peanut allergies that's a stupid question" Just work the guilt card :p

8. ForumMaster

ForumMaster Diamond Member

depends for what the interview is. on tuesday, i have an interview for a government position that i may work in while in the army (i have a genetic illness that disqualifies me from actual fighting in the army). for such an interview, i'd answer seriously.

from my limited experience and from what i've read about the subject, the interviewer isn't just asking you the question for the hell of it. there's a reason and he'll get something from you no matter how you answer.

9. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

It's not pointless. It's actually a pretty good question.

10. AccruedExpenditure

AccruedExpenditure Diamond Member

I always like to throw in crazy questions like this when I interview just because I can. I think I'm going to use this one for the interviews we're having next month. Thanks!
    -AE

11. QED

QED Diamond Member

I could see the value in asking such a question. It is obvously assumed that you (and practically everyone else) already know how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, so it's not a test of your knowledge of sandwich making that's being tested. It can help show things like:

How detail oriented are you?

How do you manage tasks? Visually-oriented? Procedure-oriented? Or do you just "wing it"? Are you a multi-tasker?

How well can you communicate something you know intimately well to an unknown audience?

Are you a team player? Or do you question/argue/oppose every decision your boss makes? Can you work on a task even if you don't agree with its objective or its implementation?

12. Jeff7

Jeff7 Lifer

"I'm peanut butter, you're jelly. Let's make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich."

"You see a rabbit with a pancake on its head. Explain why this has happened."

13. George P Burdell

Well played, sir!

14. Skyclad1uhm1

Skyclad1uhm1 Lifer

"It must have happened by clicking on a link on ATOT."

And regarding the PB&J sandwich: Only Americans eat that combination, so I would not make it in the first place.

15. SSSnail

SSSnail Lifer

Just tell them "If you want me to wear kneepads that's OK, but no way in hell I'm making you a sandwich, I ain't nobody's bitch! I'm a MAN, not a FISH!"

16. PieIsAwesome

PieIsAwesome Diamond Member

I've never made one, so I guess I could take liberty in how I approach making one. Well, first I would light up the grill...

EDIT: Darn, beat me to it.

17. RaistlinZ

RaistlinZ Diamond Member

Good answer. :thumbsup: They're trying to see if you have any kind of imagination or personality. Besides, asinine questions deserve equally asinine answers.

18. PokerGuy

PokerGuy Lifer

See? You just proved it's a very good question to ask. Your argumentative and irritated response would be a clear indicator to me that you are inflexible and generally a pain in the butt, so I'd have my answer: do not hire.

19. IronWing

IronWing Lifer

I was on the interview committee for our first IT manager. Yes, three clods who didn't know a router from a rooter got to pick the person to design and build a network from scratch. Anyway, the question I asked was "Could you install Doom on the network so employees could play against each other?" One guy said "Sure, if you want it." Another candidate waxed poetic on IT security, network control, and how he would monitor to make sure this type of abuse wouldn't happen. We hired the guy who said "sure". Our rationale was that we wanted a network admin who understood that our business was not running a network; that the network was simply a tool to get our business done, and that the network admin's job was to serve the needs of our company, not control folks. Worked out great.

20. MmmSkyscraper

MmmSkyscraper Diamond Member

Jump over the table and punch them repeatedly in the face, screaming.

21. sjwaste

sjwaste Diamond Member

What kind of job is it? If it's manufacturing, process excellence, supply chain, or six sigma, I might even be able to send you a video demonstrating the answer, because I think it's stolen from a demo vid that I've seen :)

22. Martingale

Martingale Diamond Member

:laugh:

23. wwswimming

wwswimming Banned

first look in the ISO-9001 manual to see if there's a procedure for
    making PBJ's.

then check the 6-Sigma manual to see if there's any quality
    guidelines for making PBJ's.

then go to the cafeteria and order an omelet.

24. SoulAssassin

SoulAssassin Diamond Member

Exactly. I ask similar questions when I interview people (usually how to brush your teeth or tie your shoes) because it's a task that everyone knows how to do and I want them to give me a procedure on how to do it. It demonstrates their ability to take a task that they know how to do in their mind and document it so others can follow it. People often miss steps like turning off the water and they often go into too much detail on certain things.

25. TheKub

TheKub Golden Member

Remove 2 slices of whole wheat bread. Insert bread into and power up toaster. Ready PB and Jelly. Remove the now toast. Layer PB on one and Jelly on the other. Assemble. Enjoy. Ponder how I my improve the manufacturing process for future PB&J challenges.