What do you think is the best computer magazine available?

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
So many of them are disappointing these days what with their changing of formats, content and so forth.

I like MaximumPC about the best now. Any suggestions?

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Max,

I like maximumPC too and get it,but this will be my last subscription to them. If I can't get it from the web,all else is old news. My email gives me more up to date info than any magazine,but one of the publications I still faithfully get is PC Magazine. It's a Ziff/Davis publication and even though its old news by the time we recieve it,it's still a good read.

I have more dang magazines here at my office than I can stand,and once you get on a list,they fill your mailbox so fast,there is no room for regular mail.
Read the fine print when you visit some of these websites that offer free subscriptions. Some of them offer free first month,then bill you and hound you and screw with your credit.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Maximum PC definitely. I'm subscribed to several computer game mags and it always has the best articles on overclocking etc.

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
I like PC World and MaxPC, though I'm tempted to drop them for the reasons Treipleshot mentioned. (Timeliness, etc.) MaxPC is really inconsistant with content though. Some issues are so thin, I can read thru them at dinner while others, like the current issue, are keepers for all the various bits.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
I have to agree with Maximum PC, although they don't have much (any?) in the way of game previews. The next best would be Computer Gaming World, although their hardware section sucks.

For hardware: MaximumPC
For gaming: CGW

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Agree with all the comments so far.

I like paper to read in bed so am willing to pay a little but Trip is right. I get PC World and find it going downhill.

Namuna

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2000
I agree with you Max,

I've come to find more and more that I already know a good deal of the info on the monthly mags, the internet is just WAYYYY faster.

About the ONLY magazine that catches my fancy nowadays (besides FHM, Stuff and Maxim) is T3 (Tommorrow's Technology Today). GREAT mag with info on all the new bbt (big boy's toys) and gadgets.

tomcat

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
Wired magazine is by far the best mag for technology, its not strict computers, but always a fascinating read. For pc news I get pc magazine as well.