What do you think is or was the worst car ever made?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
Originally posted by: lancestorm
Every single Honda. Might as well just bomb Pearl Harbor...

Bomb Pearl Harbor? What does that have to do with anything?
Just ignore him. He's obviously one of those "BUY AMERICAN OR DIE!" guys.
rolleye.gif

Oh, and definitely the Yugo. Those things were crappy bodering on comical. Honorable mention for the 1st edition of the Suzuki Samurai; I rode in one once and was scared sh*tless that the thing was going to fly apart.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
From personal experience, I would have to say a late '80s Hyundai. I owned an '89 Sonata and that thing was absolute garbage. My parents bought one used from a dealer "friend" when I graduated from high school in '95 for about $2500, and it wasn't worth 1/10th of that.

Things that were wrong with that car:
  • Paint was peeling off, hood was down to primer almost exclusively
  • Power sideview mirrors did not work and could not be adjusted manually
  • Passenger side power window went down fine but did not always roll back up... when it did, it took about 5 minutes to do so
  • Rear defroster did not work... front defrost worked marginally
  • Cruise control would work for a bit but then suddenly shift into 1st or 2nd gear for no reason while you were at highway speeds
  • Brake fluid leak (severe)
  • Transmission fluid leak (not as severe)
  • Power door locks did not work and sometimes you could not even unlock the passenger door manually
  • Air conditioning did not work even when recharged
  • Ran extremely hot and burned through at least a quart of oil a week (I had it overheat on me a few times)
  • Windshield washers did not work, wipers worked but were pretty slow
  • Both tail lights and a headlight burned out at some point
  • Water pump had to be replaced
  • Alternator had to be replaced
  • Rear view mirror was loose and would not always stay in place as adjusted
  • Handbrake did not work (had to fix this)
If you don't believe me here is another stellar review.
Many of the problems could probably have been fixed, but I quickly realized that spending money to repair that car was a very bad idea. It managed to run until I traded it in on my Sentra in 2000. The dealership offered me $200, but I ended up getting $400 - although I would have paid them to take it off my hands at that point.

My experience with that car probably means I will never buy Korean again, even though I know that they have improved a great deal since those early US lemons.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: viking1966
amc pacer or the chrysler k car ..

Thou shalt not talk trash about AMC! I have to agree with the K car though. Plymouth Reliant is teh suxors. Also don't forget the Dodge Colt.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Jokersmoker
ford pinto
Actually, the Pinto surpassed its Chevy counterpart in pretty much every category. The only problem was that the hatchback version had that infamous fuel tank, which, while more risky than normal, was nowhere near as bad as the media firestorm made it out to be.

ZV

EDIT: Forgot which Chevy was competing with the Pinto.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Originally posted by: Jokersmoker
ford pinto
Actually, the Pinto surpassed its Chevy counterpart in pretty much every category. The only problem was that the hatchback version had that infamous fuel tank, which, while more risky than normal, was nowhere near as bad as the media firestorm made it out to be.

ZV

EDIT: Forgot which Chevy was competing with the Pinto.

Would it have been the Vega?

DeadByDawn

Platinum Member
Dec 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Fausto
Honorable mention for the 1st edition of the Suzuki Samurai; I rode in one once and was scared sh*tless that the thing was going to fly apart.

I see some of those still around town. Two of them have funny license plates:

EZ2TIP
and
TIPSEZ

I laugh everytime I see them. They have a good sense of humor.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: dman
I saw a VW Thing on the road a few days ago, that was pretty damn ugly and I'm not sure what 'role' it tried to play back when... but I wouldn't say it's the worst car. It was driveable, and had all the sheet metal (looked clean, even with it's camo-paint job) and it was for sale for $5K I think. I meant to see what it was worth, as I thought it was god awful even for a 'classic'.

My dad owned a VEGA in the 70's. That was a POS. I'd say that one is pretty bad, from my personal experience definitely the worst. But, I can't argue with some of the other choices, as I have no experience.

They were actually based on the original vehicles that Volkswagen produced during WWII.

VW Kubelwagen History

As for worst has to be Lada or Yugo IMHO.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Booster
What do you think is or was the worst car ever made?

Daewoo Matiz - not because it's low quality or unreliable, but it's just too small for a car. Probably very unsafe to drive.

i thought there was a whole class of cars this small. ultra compacts or something? all the major japanese manufacturers made them also, but they were never marketed in the states.

Booster

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
i thought there was a whole class of cars this small. ultra compacts or something? all the major japanese manufacturers made them also, but they were never marketed in the states.

They shouldn't have marketed these hand-carts where I live either. And I see them on a daily basis. The traffic is literally unhuman, it's a suicide to drive such a car. Well, in some quiet place that may be a nice cart, of course.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Booster

They shouldn't have marketed these hand-carts where I live either. And I see them on a daily basis. The traffic is literally unhuman, it's a suicide to drive such a car. Well, in some quiet place that may be a nice cart, of course.

where do you live?

Booster

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
ding ding!
any Russian based car is utter scrap. worst bar none!

Well, that's right. Heck, I wish they stopped producing them at all (of course, this doesn't annoy you as much as me b/c you never see these cars actually). There are plenty of countries that don't make cars and yet are fine. Some countries like Russia, being unable to produce competitive vehicles, continue making crap, price it insanely and put a huge tax on all imports so that they cost x2 as much as in the rest of the world. People all over the net (I mean, in Russia) say they don't want to buy and to drive that crap, that it's horrible, write petitions to the government to abolish the tax but, of course, it's all just a fancy word, nothing would change. When they stopped buying one brand completely, the tax was set at an even higher rate.

So yes, I agree that these cars are the worst ever made in the world. Sometimes I wonder how they move on their own at all (because cars of that low quality shouldn't). Must be some trick.

EDIT: whoops, I almost forgot. I know the absolute worst car in the world that's still being made. Also known as the 'capsule of death', this cart on 4 wheels beats any pinto and Matiz b/c it's not only small, but also ridiculously unreliable. So this is the worst car in the world: take a look

I doubt you can find a worse one :D

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Quixfire
Originally posted by: Compton
Ford Fiesta, I don't think I've seen one go more than 40 mph.
Funny you should say that, most of the people that own those cars loved them. I still have a couple of customers that still drive theirs with 200+ miles on them.

Well the 40mph was on the interstate with a speed limit of 70.

And I HOPE they last at least 200+ miles.