What Do You Think: Is Intel Really That Much Better Than AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascalice

Feb 16, 2014

If there's no OP then there's nothing to discuss. In the future please actually post something; don't just throw out a thread title and nothing to go with it
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
you can read any review site and check prices on the etailers and judge for yourself

beyond that the thread will just deteriorate into a flameware

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
not to jump into a thread that might seem like i would fan the conflict for amd but what exactly do you mean is intel better than amd.

honestly i do not care what happens to this thread

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Benchmarks speak for themselves. In certain cases Intel Core series chips can outperform equivalent AMD chips by so much the hiked pricetag is worth it because you're also saving power with Intel processors not just time. If power is not a concern, you can build a nice capable system around a hex or octa core AMD processor and save a few dollars up front. [/thread]

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Is this about your gaming build again? How many threads are you going to start about it?

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
What Do You Think: Is Intel Really That Much Better Than AMD
At what?

When it comes to consistently creating products that improve society, Intel wins by a landslide.

AMD has great values. They have a fair bit more "liberal" tech philosophies, like support for open standards. They're terrible at pushing the innovation envelope, however.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
yes, intel is considerably faster and more stable/compatible. i wish i could support amd, but i dont want to deal with all that or spend time trying to figure out what amd stuff works and what doesnt. in any case i dont think ill ever have to buy a new computer again seeing as they havent gotten faster in a couple years and probably wont in the near future

Last edited:

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
When it comes to consistently creating products that improve society, Intel wins by a landslide.

that would be a philosophical question and up for debate.

AMD has great values. They have a fair bit more "liberal" tech philosophies, like support for open standards.

agree. that is why i buy from them. that and i like their products. the vishera is not the greatest processor but it is better than bulldozer. when they make a next generation big core without modules then i will be grateful.

They're terrible at pushing the innovation envelope, however.

only because intel has 10 times the resources. wait for china to make intel look like the next amd.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
yeah i know but then you gotta figure out what board works, whether stuff is compatible with os, etc...

run a asus m5a99fx pro 2.0 motherboard with windows 7. a thermalright 140 true spirit and sandisk 128 as my os drive. a 2tb toshiba is my data drive. the only i might complain about is my memory which is apatop 1866 at 9-11-9-27. it started out at 1333 at 11-11-11-28. not sure why. i had to overclock the memory. i get some artifacts sometimes in firefox but they have stopped recently for some reason. but they only happened in firefox so i am not sure what they were. they were checkerboard artifacts in the upper right hand corner.

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
that would be a philosophical question and up for debate.
It's up for debate in the same way that evolution is up for debate by creationists.
only because intel has 10 times the resources. wait for china to make intel look like the next amd.
Are you talking about MediaTek? Because Intel is clearly poised to take care of that problem.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Are you talking about MediaTek? Because Intel is clearly poised to take care of that problem. Homeles is online now Report Post

no i meant when the chinese government starts to mass produce processors and has the resources of a whole giant country. and then they flood the market with good enough processors that might have hardware backdoors.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
It's up for debate in the same way that evolution is up for debate by creationists.

do they make inventions that can be used in more ways and broaden the scope of electronics? yes. but you said improve society and i would say intel has had a negative effect on society with all the monopolitism and such

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
I've given up on AMD. Their FX CPU's are laughable, their APU's are bleh, their GPU's are hot and loud against Nvidia's Kepler and Mantle and Trueaudio are as piffling as PhysX/Gsync so far. All my builds going forward are Intel/Nvidia only and currently, I've gotten rid of anything AMD I had. The extra cost of Intel/Nvidia to me are irrelevant. They are better products. Period.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
I've given up on AMD. Their FX CPU's are laughable, their APU's are bleh, their GPU's are hot and loud against Nvidia's Kepler and Mantle and Trueaudio are as piffling as PhysX/Gsync so far. All my builds going forward are Intel/Nvidia only and currently, I've gotten rid of anything AMD I had. The extra cost of Intel/Nvidia to me are irrelevant. They are better products. Period.

my 270x is not that loud. you can surely find a quiet and cool amd card.

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
no i meant when the chinese government starts to mass produce processors and has the resources of a whole giant country. and then they flood the market with good enough processors that might have hardware backdoors.

Pentium is already 'good enough' for 80%+ of people out there and is very cheap.

China would have to make a major push costing billions and billions of dollars taking a very long time to start up with possibly mediocre return on investment. Don't get me wrong, the chinese when they want something done they get it done (bridges that would take 2 years in North America are built in something like 6 months in China as workers work around the clock). But there is a lot of corruption in china and something like this would have problems.

And most of the world would be leery of CPU's made directly by the chinese government for that reason. I wouldn't want a CPU made directly by any government.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Pentium is already 'good enough' for 80%+ of people out there and is very cheap. China would have to make a major push costing billions and billions of dollars taking a very long time to start up with possibly mediocre return on investment. Don't get me wrong, the chinese when they want something done they get it done (bridges that would take 2 years in North America are built in something like 6 months in China as workers work around the clock). But there is a lot of corruption in china and something like this would have problems. And most of the world would be leery of CPU's made directly by the chinese government for that reason. I wouldn't want a CPU made directly by any government.

maybe. but i bet that they will try to make a electronics industry that is strong in the asia and pacific area especially with their allies like pakistan and burma and big regional markets like indonesia and malaysia and bangledesh.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008

i doubt that will happen, china just shuttered their attempt at an os. also intel already floods the market with "good enuff" $50 processors

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
run a asus m5a99fx pro 2.0 motherboard with windows 7. a thermalright 140 true spirit and sandisk 128 as my os drive. a 2tb toshiba is my data drive. the only i might complain about is my memory which is apatop 1866 at 9-11-9-27. it started out at 1333 at 11-11-11-28. not sure why. i had to overclock the memory. i get some artifacts sometimes in firefox but they have stopped recently for some reason. but they only happened in firefox so i am not sure what they were. they were checkerboard artifacts in the upper right hand corner.

thats exactly the kinda stuff i wouldnt want to deal with. i could tolerate lower performance than intel but freaky stuff like that would be more trouble that id want

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
thats exactly the kinda stuff i wouldnt want to deal with. i could tolerate lower performance than intel but freaky stuff like that would be more trouble that id want

but that has to do with my memory i think not amd. i bought a lesser known brand of memory because it was the cheapest memory at that speed and timings. has a lifetime warranty although.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
The 290X? Pfffft, 780Ti anyday over it.

a aftermarket or liquid cooled 290x will be just as fast or faster than a 780ti. read the reviews on the aftermarket 290x. what brand are you running or you would want?

Status
Not open for further replies.