What Do You Think? GeForce 8600GT Content

tornadobox

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2001
So, I'm looking to get a GeForce 8600GT (now, before you start chiming in with, "well, you should really get 'xxx' instead, based on the price and performance, this is the card series I want).

I'm down to 2 choices, one is the MSI NX8600GT-T2D256EZ. This card has no fan (very attractive feature for me), but a huge-ass heatsink/heatpipe stystem.

The second is the EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR. This card is your standard reference board copy.

I'll be putting this card into an HP Pavilion m8100y media center PC. The motherboard used in this PC is a microATX ASUS IPIBL-LA board.

Both cards are the same price. The only thing I'm concerned about is the fit of the MSI card (and there's a 15% restocking fee if I return the card for a refund).

From reviews of the card, the rear heatfins are high enough to give enough clearance for any RAM in the way, so I'm thinking it'll have enough clearance for the Northbridge heatsink...but I really have no idea how tall the Northbridge heatsink is (there are no profile views of the motherboard).

What do you all think? Do you think the MSI card has a good chance of fitting the motherboard?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I vote for the MSI, simply because it's very nice to not have to worry about a little fan dying on you and needing replacement + possibly damaging the card itself. Now, if you're not gaming, you might look for a HDCP 8500GT and save a few bucks, as even HD 1080p content will play the same.

EDIT : 8500GT's lower clock speeds will probably be an indication of lower thermal output + longer lifespan as well, so something else to think about. The one I posted below is under $80.

tornadobox

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2001
thanks for the vote :) based on the pictures you think it'll fit?

i do a little gaming (my wife plays The Sims 2, and I just bought BioShock)...not a huge lot though.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Yep, should fit nicely, the HS assembly is barely off the card width, so not an issue there. Sims 2 will fly on that card, but BioShock will probably crawl unless 800x600/1024x768 @ low detail. Do you have a gaming PC separately? If so, just save $30 and some heat, and get the 8500GT HDCP version. If not, then you might actually want to get an X1950GT ($110 or so), which has MUCH MUCH better performance than either, and will run 1080p flawlessly to boot. Just make sure you have 24A or so on the 12v rail.

tornadobox

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2001
Thanks again for the response. I don't have a separate gaming PC...I do most of my gaming on my PlayStation 3 (though that might change in 2-3 years...but I'll have a new PC by then anyway most likely).

I did get some feedback from the BioShock forums, and they said that I'd do decently with the 8600GT. I'd like to NOT have to upgrade the power supply in the HP if I don't need to...and I'm a little worried that if I get a card that requires too much juice that it won't run properly on the stock HP power supply.

How much worse of a gaming card is the 8500GT?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: tornadobox
Thanks again for the response. I don't have a separate gaming PC...I do most of my gaming on my PlayStation 3 (though that might change in 2-3 years...but I'll have a new PC by then anyway most likely).

I did get some feedback from the BioShock forums, and they said that I'd do decently with the 8600GT. I'd like to NOT have to upgrade the power supply in the HP if I don't need to...and I'm a little worried that if I get a card that requires too much juice that it won't run properly on the stock HP power supply.

Not much, really. They're both pretty low end. Honestly the BioShock experience will be pretty bad on either, so you might save that one for your gaming box.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
If 1024x768 high settings is fine to you then I wouldn't say the Bioshock experience is "pretty bad" on a 8600GT.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Originally posted by: tornadobox

Not much, really. They're both pretty low end. Honestly the BioShock experience will be pretty bad on either, so you might save that one for your gaming box.

Are you high?

8500gt is far worse than 8600gt.

It's about half the card 8600gt is with 1/2 SP, half the memory bandwidth, half the TMU.

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Arkaign
I vote for the MSI, simply because it's very nice to not have to worry about a little fan dying on you and needing replacement + possibly damaging the card itself. Now, if you're not gaming, you might look for a HDCP 8500GT and save a few bucks, as even HD 1080p content will play the same.

EDIT : 8500GT's lower clock speeds will probably be an indication of lower thermal output + longer lifespan as well, so something else to think about. The one I posted below is under $80.

I personally do not believe in "heatsink-only" Video Cards.

They do produce the heat, and it has to be moved away.

Being "upside down", in the worst possible location of the case, if you don't move the air in this area, you run a risk of overheating the card, the southbridge, and the other components at the bottom of the motherboard.

I would definitely recommend a Video Card with the fan.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
i would probably go with the 8600gt. its not a lifetime warranty though i dont think.

that said, if youcan get a deal on say the PNY one, get that since it has hdcp (unless you dont care for hdcp).

i have a reference foxconn one from dell (which has hdcp btw) and the fan is the same as the evga / pny models (i had a pny one for a while too) and the fan is barely audible even WHILE playing 3d games.

the 8600gts barely uses any more power than the 8600gt though they probably could have made it without the power connector

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814122026

that leadtek 8600gts is only $105 after rebate so $16 more for a faster card AND hdcp.