What do you think about working for starbucks?

kendogg

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I recently celebrated my 22nd birthday .. only finished 1 semester of college and now im planning on going back winter session. I have my own personal expenses and such therefore I need a job while attending school. Im here seeking pros and cons from you folks that may or may not be employed with starbucks. Thanks :)

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Pros:
Relatively high pay compared to other retail food jobs.
Real benefits
Great discount
Free pound of coffee every month.
Not bad hours
Half-decent supplemental income from tips.

Cons:
a few obnoxious and overly-demanding customers
Potential RSI
typical managerial bullcrap you find in similar jobs (I requested off but you scheduled me to work anyway kind of stuff).

Bottom line: Great job for a college student.

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001
If you have a store with good co-workers and managers it can be great, according to my Starbuck's friends :)

LaBang

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2001
I've worked at coffee houses with people that have worked for starbucks. This is what they say. The pay is decent, the store is nice, and it's a good job. I personally don't want to work for a chain enterprise. An other, "cooler" coffee house is usually a better job (but with a little more work).

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I personally don't want to work for a chain enterprise. An other, "cooler" coffee house is usually a better job (but with a little more work).
Starbucks probably isn't "Bohemian" enough for you. Of course the ones in Boston had plenty of employees with green hair so maybe it's just regional.

ChefJoe

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2002
As long as you can stand wearing the apron and being pleasant, go for it. It's too close to a waitstaff job to appeal to me.

SubZeroX

Oct 24, 2001
How hard is it to get hired at Starbuck? Do you think they'll think I'm overly qualified? I graduated from college already and I have a full time job. I just want to do something fun and mindless in the weekends for a few months and earn some extra cash before I head off for medical school.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
They prefer to hire people who don't have much/any training being baristas, so they can train you to make coffee the Starbucks way (encouraging uniformity). Personally I don't care much for Starbucks, but my friend enjoyed working for them, and it's ranked in the Top 100 stores to work for by Forbes.

Then again, so was REI, and working there sucked the big one.

Rob

virusag11

May 22, 2002
If you can stand it then it is a decent job for a college student.

I would just hate having to be face to face talking to people about a product I don't consume, or like for that matter.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
I personally don't want to work for a chain enterprise. An other, "cooler" coffee house is usually a better job (but with a little more work).
Starbucks probably isn't "Bohemian" enough for you. Of course the ones in Boston had plenty of employees with green hair so maybe it's just regional.

LOL,which ones ? I don't recall seeing any green haired starbuckies :D

I've heard they're decent to work for to, and if you like coffee the discount is a nice thing