What do you think about mandatory military service?

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
I was watchign soem guy that wants to make it a law to serve no matter who u are.

His feeling is if legislators sons/daughters had to serve they would be less likely to declare war or deploy troops since thier offspring might then be in battle and die.

I think it might make them think twice, but money and influence usually buys you safety, so i dotn think theirs kids would ever be in danger.

SoylentGreen

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
Put NT in your title.

Some people just don't belong in the military. Drill sergeants usually weed them out.

wnied

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Its a good idea for everyone to go into the service for at least one year. It teaches you one very necessary skill that helps you bundles once your out. How to live peaceably with other folks in close quarters.

This generation would benefit greatly from a mandatory years service in the military.
~wnied~

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
I believe alot of countries have mandatory service..i might be wrong.

His point was that if yoru the descion maker and ur kid is in the army youd be less apt to go to war..

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: wnied
Its a good idea for everyone to go into the service for at least one year. It teaches you one very necessary skill that helps you bundles once your out. How to live peaceably with other folks in close quarters.
I learned that in two years of dorm life.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Search for Rangel and Rangle (for spelling-impaired topic authors) and mandatory to see this topic beaten to death a few times.

Heinlein had an interesting idea though, full citizenship requiring (voluntary) military service.

Darein

Platinum Member
Nov 14, 2000
I don't want to be forced into the military, and for a lot of people I think it would be more of a hinderance in the grand scheme of things. I feel it would just do more harm than good.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
how about 2 years of servicece to your country........... not nessecarily military but how about doing stuff like habitate for humanity or other social type organizations?

Just a thought :D

Cheers,
Aquaman

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
I agree more with Aquaman, I am kinda for people serving in "some" capacity, not necessarily in a military capacity. Whether it be building new roads or homes for the homeless or learning to kill bad guys, it doesn't matter to me, but I am somewhat for manadatory service to "country".

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
I was watchign soem guy that wants to make it a law to serve no matter who u are.

His feeling is if legislators sons/daughters had to serve they would be less likely to declare war or deploy troops since thier offspring might then be in battle and die.

I think it might make them think twice, but money and influence usually buys you safety, so i dotn think theirs kids would ever be in danger.

You have to remember those politicians have connections in high places, so while their sons and daughters might be working some desk at home, while YOU or your son and daughter go to war at the front lines, taking all the bullets, chem, bio warefare.
(i.e. I AGREE WITH YOU)

Besides, I think if you are forced to join, you lose a lot of the enthusiasm that people who volunteer have. IMHO & my $0.02.