What do you think about drone strikes?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Your opinion on drone strikes?

• I (rather) approve of them

• I (rather) object to them

Results are only viewable after voting.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Thats some extremely small and ignorant thinking. In countries like those were outside information is scarce they form their opinions based on experience. If their experience says the US killed innocent people they grew up with then they are more susceptible to agreeing with viewpoints of terrorist.

Bullshit. Terrorists and the Taliban kill far more people in Pakistan than the US military does. Pakistan is a hopeless lost cause, an uttery failure as a nation and culture.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
So while I agree that resentment and hate toward the US has existed before Afghanistan/Iraq, the drone strikes are not helping but make things worse. Maybe one should look at the underlying problems and questions instead of fighting the symptoms.

The underlying problem is that they're barbarians. The only solution is keeping them out of the West, but we're too PC to do that.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Thats some extremely small and ignorant thinking. In countries like those were outside information is scarce they form their opinions based on experience. If their experience says the US killed innocent people they grew up with then they are more susceptible to agreeing with viewpoints of terrorist.

they are also going to agree with a terrorist base on their religion whether or not we are involved.

Where did the mass of hatred against the US come from initially in those areas.
The radicals pulled together disillusionists and pointed at a target. Then the leadership ran for the hills letting their followers take the brunt of the retaliation.

Remember, the only thing that we actually did in the ME for 30+ years was to come to the assistance of the Arabs asking for help with Saddam.

And that apparently was enough justification for the Cole, embassy bombings and 9/11.

So had we done much of nothing (which Clinton did), that would appease them and they would go back home all happy.
we tried that, it did not work - they saw us as week and found more chances to continue their crusade.

The recruited more terrorists because of their success; whether we had attacked back; they were coming after us.

Some can believe in turning the other cheek; we have seen what that gets us. Presently we are the biggest target around.
You saw what happens when the radicals go after Russia of China. They get stepped on ruthlessly and very little is followed up on.

Being a goody-to-shoes does not work when it is perceived as being week.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I believe that terrorist don't just exist for "fun", they are created. The roots for most anti-US sentiments are actual problems and perceived injustice/interference in other peoples affairs.

So while I agree that resentment and hate toward the US has existed before Afghanistan/Iraq, the drone strikes are not helping but make things worse. Maybe one should look at the underlying problems and questions instead of fighting the symptoms.

The underlying problem is that fact that we exist. PERIOD

The alternate problem is that we do not remove the threat immediately and without prejudice. the leadership chooses to play patty cake with them and ask pretty please, behave.

Again given their culture, it makes us look weak and foolish.

They are not going to respond to the Western culture; they are going to suck it in, chew on it and spit it back.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Whichever is cheaper to "get the job done."

I assume that drones are cheaper than sending manned aircraft, so I like drones for that reason. But if not . . .

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
your targets are hiding among the children. they care not for the welfare of the child. So we shouldn't either?

your attitudes encourages such and lead them to believe that we are weak.
No it doesn't they are going to perform acts of terror regardless of our perceived weakness.

you fight the enemy on their terms; you are sure to loose.

They have no value of a childs life unless it is their own. Terrorist sure, wedding partys and kids not really.
Look at the number of children that they choose to kill to make a political statement. again terrorist not everyone

responses in bold.

I agree using drones is a great way to ensure American soldier safety.
But I also think that doing so requires serious prudence in who what and when we attack. I think we could do a much better job in this regard.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Most people don't realize that the drone program is without a doubt the most effective warfare our nation has ever waged. It has literally dismantled entire terror networks. There is virtually no "legacy" leadership left in most terror networks because they are forced to constantly replace people.

Those of you buying into the idea that it's somehow our fault that these people hate America are just playing into the hands of the enemy. If us killing terrorists (and associated innocents) makes some people decide to wage war on the United States, they weren't that far off from doing it anyway. Pretending that our actions have any bearing on them is just our way of pretending we're in control of the situation. We're not. They'll hate us either way. It's like EagleKeeper said earlier, if we attempt to fight them by their rules, or even our conventional rules, we'll lose. They don't play by any rules at all.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think they are a bad idea when considering the Golden Rule.

But maybe a valid technological solution to the suicide bomber recruitment problem for Western people.

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I've never criticized Obama for drone strikes.

I think if there is a downside (militarily), it is that we are not capturing people and thus not getting intel.

Fern

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Most people don't realize that the drone program is without a doubt the most effective warfare our nation has ever waged. It has literally dismantled entire terror networks. There is virtually no "legacy" leadership left in most terror networks because they are forced to constantly replace people.

Those of you buying into the idea that it's somehow our fault that these people hate America are just playing into the hands of the enemy. If us killing terrorists (and associated innocents) makes some people decide to wage war on the United States, they weren't that far off from doing it anyway. Pretending that our actions have any bearing on them is just our way of pretending we're in control of the situation. We're not. They'll hate us either way. It's like EagleKeeper said earlier, if we attempt to fight them by their rules, or even our conventional rules, we'll lose. They don't play by any rules at all.

Why do we need to go there to kill them? It seems like we're interjectimg ourselves into something we could simply avoid by keeping our home secure. I'm sorry but the current drone campaign is bullshit and any non interventionist should be pissed.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I'm in favor of constant, increased, relentless, sometimes poorly thought out drone strikes.

I'm okay with some mistakes being made. I don't consider someone who was born in the US then moved back to the middle east to get their terror on to be a legitimate US citizen in any meaningful sense. Die.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I'm all for them. What exactly would you suggest as an alternative? Letting terrorists operate freely in Pakistan? Invading yet another backward-ass shithole of a country instead? The real solution to terrorism is to get out of Afghanistan and close our borders to people from Muslim countries, but as long as we're stuck in A-stan we should do everything possible to win.
This, exactly.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
drone stirkes in foreign countries is terrorism and assasination. would we allow another country to do that over new york city or l.a.? america thinks it can get away with this stuff, but eventually theyre going to get us back somehow

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Inevitable military usage. Like anyone didn't expect this type of application? We can nuke the moon too if you piss off the wrong folks.

But it can be used for our benefit. We got serious priority issue problems in the USA with our scientific talent being used for military pork.

Apr 27, 2012
These drone strikes need to be ended, we have no right to be in those countries and the Congress didn't even declare war. Also many innocent people are killed in these strikes

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
Inevitable military usage. Like anyone didn't expect this type of application? We can nuke the moon too if you piss off the wrong folks.

But it can be used for our benefit. We got serious priority issue problems in the USA with our scientific talent being used for military pork.

seriously, why dont they make the internet faster, or figure out how to distribute food more efficiently to solve world hunger, instead spending billions creating f22's and killer drones

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
drone stirkes in foreign countries is terrorism and assasination. would we allow another country to do that over new york city or l.a.? america thinks it can get away with this stuff, but eventually theyre going to get us back somehow

Yea, I bet they will hijack some airliners full of innocents and crash them into some landmark buildings that are symbols of American might, and end up killing thousands more.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
seriously, why dont they make the internet faster, or figure out how to distribute food more efficiently to solve world hunger, instead spending billions creating f22's and killer drones

We scrape enough food off of plates in restaurants every weekend in the USA to feed the poor across the planet enough calories to get by.

Sooner or later something will have to give. The scam can only go on so long before the crusty old corrupt center of neoliberalism collapses unto itself.

Last edited:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Bullshit. Terrorists and the Taliban kill far more people in Pakistan than the US military does. Pakistan is a hopeless lost cause, an uttery failure as a nation and culture.
This "lost cause... utter failure" is also a nuclear power.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Why do we need to go there to kill them? It seems like we're interjectimg ourselves into something we could simply avoid by keeping our home secure. I'm sorry but the current drone campaign is bullshit and any non interventionist should be pissed.

If we were to take that route, wouldn't we need to give up even more liberty and privacy than we already have? We can't let them build up entire terror networks with a hands off policy and assume our more secure homefront with any semblance of traditional American liberties and openness will hold them off, can we?

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
This "lost cause... utter failure" is also a nuclear power.

Hence the $2 billion in bribe money we give them every year, plus access to F-16's and other military toys. Which sucks since they proved with the OBL homestead where there true loyalty lies.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
We scrape enough food off of plates in restaurants every weekend in the USA to feed the poor across the planet enough calories to get by.

Sooner or later something will have to give. The scam can only go on so long before the crusty old corrupt center of neoliberalism collapses unto itself.

While that may be true or not, what other nation provides as much food assistance and monetary assistance to the world?

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
The underlying problem is that fact that we exist. PERIOD

The alternate problem is that we do not remove the threat immediately and without prejudice. the leadership chooses to play patty cake with them and ask pretty please, behave.

Again given their culture, it makes us look weak and foolish.

They are not going to respond to the Western culture; they are going to suck it in, chew on it and spit it back.

I don't believe that at all. Look at other countries not getting involved in world politics the way the US does. Terrorists are not targeting them.
"Western" also corresponds to Canada and Europe. Also Japan and Australia.

Personally I think US foreign policy and actions in other countries are the main points terrorists have issues with. Why would anyone care what anyone else does unless it affects you or a group you are affiliated to? There are people who hate the US, true, but why? The unresolved Israel-Palestine conflict, invading countries without declaration of war, torture and abduction, bases in foreign countries against the will of the people, support of dictators all don't make people like you better. I'm 100% certain that if you could ask any terrorist he would not say "I hate you!" - instead he would say "I hate you because xyz!" There are reasons why people do things, even terrorists.

Last edited: