What do you like to listen to while reading?

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
This will probably sound strange but there's an old PC game called Total Annihilation that had pretty good orchestra music. In fact I would venture to say of all the games I've ever played the sound track to TA was probably the most brilliant especially if you're a fan of classical musical. A lot of times when I would read I just popped the game disk in a cd player and would chill out to the music while engaged in whatever book I was reading.

So what do you listen to when reading?

Kalvin00

Lifer
Jan 11, 2003
Nothing. I have a hard enough time making the words sink in without singing a song in my head :)

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Kalvin00
Nothing. I have a hard enough time making the words sink in without singing a song in my head :)

Same. I generally prefer to experience one form of media at a time. IF I am in the mood for overstimulation -- and this does happen on occassion -- I'll listen to something like arias in Italian or some jazz, preferably free jazz because it stimulates my neurons and makes me smartz0rz, allowing me to better appreciate what I'm reading.

But yeah, usually I prefer the ambient sound of the world when I'm reading.

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Death metal.

:p Usually nothing if it's a book. However if it's casual reading I can usually have the TV or just about any type music going softly in the background and be fine. I like to watch Telemundo and Univision while I'm working on the computer because it gives me background noise while offering me no real keywords that catch my ear and distract me.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: LordSnailz
If anything, it has to be something without words or something I cannot sing to ...

yeh its hard for me to concentrate if its singing or screaming going on, but I find instrumental music can really put me in the right frame of mind for a book.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
I generally don't listen to music while reading but if I do, the only kind of music I'll listen to is Classical, generally Mozart, Beethoven, Handel, or Bach.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I prefer quiet when reading. If there is background noise going on that doesn't pertain to me, that's fine. But I get distracted and start just listening to the music if I have it on and then I start skipping words and stuff while reading.