What do you guys think of this panorama I made?

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
I went to Great Falls National park in McLean VA this weekend. I tried to see if I could do a Panorama with my old digital camera (3.2mp). I then stiched the photos together with CS3. How does it look?

http://tiger.towson.edu/~hzaidi1/para.jpg

Please be patient (about 5mb)

Do you guys think there is anything else I can do in Photoshop.

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
sorry, there is no interesting focus in the picture and there is a distracting guy with sandals sitting on the rock.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Nice, I can't even see any stitching artifacts. I wonder how this "CS3" thing would work with the images from the Mars Rovers. (CS3 = Creative Suite 3?)

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: yamadakun
sorry, there is no interesting focus in the picture and there is a distracting guy with sandals sitting on the rock.

Well it's a panorama it's mainly used for landscaping. The picture is naturally too big that there really is no objective. I guess the distracting guy can be cut out....

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Nice, I can't even see any stitching artifacts. I wonder how this "CS3" thing would work with the images from the Mars Rovers. (CS3 = Creative Suite 3?)

This is the first time using CS3. I find it quite interesting how it stitched them together. This is from 6 images. I can actually disable and enable some of the layers to see where it's been stitched. It's not a linear stitching but curves and jags the length of the picture. You actually have to be in Photoshop to see where the stitching is. I think it has filters or algorithms to handle simple things like water, rocks, clouds, colors or continuous lines. But if your doing something with high complexity it probably would look Frankenstein?s...

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: steppinthrax

Well it's a panorama it's mainly used for landscaping. The picture is naturally too big that there really is no objective. I guess the distracting guy can be cut out....

Landscaping can be shot with interesting objective...

but the stitching is flawless, can't find any artifact in water or cloud.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003

I also agree with cutting/cloning the guy out, but that wouldn't fix the larger issues I have with the image. I agree that the choice of location is rather bland for a pano, and the distortion, unavoidable from the spot you took the images, makes the river look like there's a huge bend in the river - when there probably wasn't. There's also a lot more of the river coming than going.

Assembly of the pano is technically very well done, however. Kudos for that. It's interesting that sRGB is treating your image so poorly - the color's significantly better looking (the sky especially) in PS than when viewing in a browser. Not sure what's up with that...

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeff7

This is the first time using CS3. I find it quite interesting how it stitched them together. This is from 6 images. I can actually disable and enable some of the layers to see where it's been stitched. It's not a linear stitching but curves and jags the length of the picture. You actually have to be in Photoshop to see where the stitching is. I think it has filters or algorithms to handle simple things like water, rocks, clouds, colors or continuous lines. But if your doing something with high complexity it probably would look Frankenstein?s...
You mentioned water, and that got me looking at the stream - if anything's going to show artifacting, it'd be something rapidly moving like the water. But even there, I can't see any blending artifacts. That's just crazy, I don't know how the heck that's even possible. The water is going to change from one picture to the next.

I've traditionally seen Autostitch used for making panoramas - it doesn't get much easier to use. Take pictures with some overlap between them, set the final size of the image you want, and load in all the images. Autostitch figures out on its own how they all go together.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: rivan

I also agree with cutting/cloning the guy out, but that wouldn't fix the larger issues I have with the image. I agree that the choice of location is rather bland for a pano, and the distortion, unavoidable from the spot you took the images, makes the river look like there's a huge bend in the river - when there probably wasn't. There's also a lot more of the river coming than going.

Assembly of the pano is technically very well done, however. Kudos for that. It's interesting that sRGB is treating your image so poorly - the color's significantly better looking (the sky especially) in PS than when viewing in a browser. Not sure what's up with that...

There actually is a bend in the river.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Even with the bend thing going on, it looks extremely titled and "unleveled".

You'll have to crop a little to make it rectangular again, but try rotating about 3-5 deg CCW and see if it looks better.