What do you guys think of this barebones:

Weenoman

Dec 5, 2010
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3rGBT6LsCAGR8A

I saw this deal and was wondering what you guys thought of it.

I might get this and grab a decent video card so my wifey can game with me.

Extra question: Would the mother board in this deal be able to take full advantage of an SSD? I can't tell if it has a 6mbps port, do you even need a 6mbps sata port to get the most out of an SSD?

Last edited:

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
I suspect you can do as good or better at newegg...

MB, processor, and case seem ok, not sure about ram or psu...

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
The $40 "savings" gets you a free junk PSU ("Diablo Tek") that I wouldn't trust to power a $700 system (after adding GPU).

I'd buy the parts at Newegg, with your choice of case and a good PSU instead of that PSU from Hell (literally). When it bursts into flames you won't be crying "hail Santa!" :devil:

All P67 motherboards do have the 2x intel 6 Gb SATA ports. Only the latest, most expensive SSDs benefit much from 6 Gb though.

Weenoman

Dec 5, 2010
The $40 "savings" gets you a free junk PSU ("Diablo Tek") that I wouldn't trust to power a $700 system (after adding GPU).

I'd buy the parts at Newegg, with your choice of case and a good PSU instead of that PSU from Hell (literally). When it bursts into flames you won't be crying "hail Santa!" :devil:

All P67 motherboards do have the 2x intel 6 Gb SATA ports. Only the latest, most expensive SSDs benefit much from 6 Gb though.

Where have you read that these are bad PSUs? I'm curious why certain components (especially ones that have 4 egg+ averages on newegg), get so much fire from posters on anandtech.

Not defending the part, just wondering if theres another source of reviews or feedback I should be checking before buying.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Off-brand PSUs and super-budget ones like Ultra / Aprevia and Rosewill tend to either not deliver their rated power, or fail and sometimes take your components with them. It's like buying a "Magnetbox" or "Sorny" TV from the Springfield outlet.

I'm curious why certain components (especially ones that have 4 egg+ averages on newegg), get so much fire from posters on anandtech.

Only the living get to post reviews on Newegg, the ones disemboweled by jagged bits of exploded casing can't tell their story ;)

Consider paying extra for good brands like Seasonic or Corsair when putting together a $600+ computer.

What graphics card(s) are you thinking about buying?

Weenoman

Dec 5, 2010
Off-brand PSUs and super-budget ones like Ultra / Aprevia and Rosewill tend to either not deliver their rated power, or fail and sometimes take your components with them. It's like buying a "Magnetbox" or "Sorny" TV from the Springfield outlet.

Only the living get to post reviews on Newegg, the ones disemboweled by jagged bits of exploded casing can't tell their story ;)

Consider paying extra for good brands like Seasonic or Corsair when putting together a $600+ computer.

What graphics card(s) are you thinking about buying?

Probably just a $150 one, maybe $200 if I get bang for the buck

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Where have you read that these are bad PSUs? I'm curious why certain components (especially ones that have 4 egg+ averages on newegg), get so much fire from posters on anandtech.

Not defending the part, just wondering if theres another source of reviews or feedback I should be checking before buying.

jonnyGURU is a great place for Power supply reviews.

A quick way to see if a PSU isnt good quality is to check how much power is outputted on the +12v Rails. For example the PSU in that combo outputs 360w on the +12v rail. Only 65% of it's total 550w rating! While on the other hand this SeaSonic Rated for 520w outputs 480w on the +12v rail. 92% of it's total power! The 520w quality unit provides more power to your main components (which go on the +12v rail) then the 550w lesser quality unit! (a difference of 120w!!)

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
I agree with the other posters. You're really only getting a "free" PSU that you'd want to replace anyway. Also, the RAM is 1.65V, which isn't good for Nehalem or Sandy Bridge (they like 1.5V and lower). Finally, the Seagate probably wouldn't be my first choice.

Overall, the prices on the parts themselves are fair, but you're not really saving anything so I would probably just build my own from Newegg.

i5 2500K + free game $225
GA-P67A-UD3 $135
G.Skill DDR3 1333 4GB $40
6950 1GB $200 AR AP
Samsung F3 1TB $65
Samsung DVD Burner $18
Corsair 500CX $40 AR
Antec Three Hundred $60
Total: $783 AP AR