What do you guys think of the Logo + Slogan?

JackRipper

Apr 8, 2002
Just trying to get input on the logo... thanks for looking!!!

The Logo + Slogan...

EDIT: Looking for freelance graphics designers, web programmers + MySQL. Please PM me if interested!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

-JR

stars

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2002
Looks ok but instead of coming soon fall 2005 I would type:

Coming Soon
FALL 2005

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
Originally posted by: stars

Coming Soon
FALL 2005

i would too unless he's trying to cater to a more modern crowd, where not capitalizing letters seems "hip"

JackRipper

Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Amol

Coming Soon
FALL 2005

i would too unless he's trying to cater to a more modern crowd, where not capitalizing letters seems "hip"

its not about whether its hip or not... its the visual effects... i thought about FALL 2005 in caps too but i wanted it to be a bit more subtle kinda like a whisper not a shout out...

as for adding colors to what would be black letters...

my inspiration is simplicity... google works... ebay (altho sucks) works... websites are just manipulation of text... in this case i wanted to manipulate the text to make an impressionable logo....no need for a fancy logo... i just need the colors to stick to the person's head when they think of the site...

thanks for looking tho guys!...

-JR

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: JackRipper

Coming Soon
FALL 2005

its not about whether its hip or not... its the visual effects... i thought about FALL 2005 in caps too but i wanted it to be a bit more subtle kinda like a whisper not a shout out...

my inspiration is simplicity... google works... ebay (altho sucks) works... websites are just manipulation of text... in this case i wanted to manipulate the text to make an impressionable logo....no need for a fancy logo... i just need the colors to stick to the person's head when they think of the site...

-JR

I'd maybe use a different typeface for the additional explanatory text, versus the logo mark. Using the same typeface everywhere dilutes the identity represented by the logo mark, imo.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
"Professional. Reliable. FOUND!"
WTF?

yeah, it's not too self-explantory. The OP should remember the KISS principle, "keep it simple, stupid" ;)

asm0deus

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2003
i dont like it :( its just not very memorable or eye catching, at least you're not shy about your designs :)

dandruff

Golden Member
Jan 28, 2000
logo colors are not good for photocopying / faxing / billboards ... and i cannot even understand the slogan ... if u r trying to portray the indian tricolor - thats not coming out ...

JackRipper

Apr 8, 2002
Lolz....

So far I left a "WTF?!?" image with the "FOUND" part of the slogan lolz.. lemme explain.

eDexAsia is, at its core, an online business directory mainly for Asian Business. The reason why we are targeting mainly Asians is because we are trying to create a niche for the Asian Business market. We feel that its a site Asians could relate to and identify by (much like any other reason why people create special interest groups).

Our goal is to provide:

Index for Asian Businesses Globally, sorted by region (ie San Francisco, CA), by ethnicity (Chinese, Japanese, etc), and by Type of business.

We offer extended services to include small business / ecommerce, hosting packages. Business satisfactory rating seal. There will be a forum like feedback system where legitimate complaints will be addressed. Businesses are given the opportunity to resolve any issues and show that they are out to do professional business.

Will offer free classifieds section, also separated by region. Free Asian business news. Cultural, Community, events + education.

We are working on implementing different additional modules as the site progresses to include but not limit to Free Personal Ads, Travel Discounts, etc...

That said "FOUND!" = result of or solution to visiting eDexAsia for the above needs.

Cliffs: Asian business index site... professional, reliable, and FOUND! (find what ur looking for) lolz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

@aidanjm

I think you are right about using the same typeface diluting the identity of represented by the logo. For me, I hate reading serif type fonts (Times New Roman etc) and prefer the cleaner look of sans serif type fonts. But I definitely understand... even selecting the colors for the site is bit difficult because if i do too many colors (3) or even repeat the colors from the logo, it would take away from the logo's identity.

as for KISS... lolz thats one of my main concerns when I look at the design and layout... to keep it simple. I want it to look not as drastically empty as Google but not too busy like MSN or Yahoo. (BTW let me remind you guys that it is NOT A SEARCH PORTAL lolz... any search function would searh internally within eDexAsia database...just to get the thought of me trying to compete with search portals :))

at this point the confusion of the slogan sounds like a bad thing lolz... hopefully its more explanatory later.

----------------------------------

again thanks every1 who looked and took time to make a comment! Am really new to to this but I have an art and design background (i do it more for interest than for a living)... the input gives me the direction i need to focus on!

-JR

JackRipper

Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Injury
Originally posted by: iamme
Originally posted by: jjones
The logo looks good. The slogan I'm not crazy about.

agreed

Thirded.

From a graphic designer standpoint.

Of course, what you do could make or break the logo, too.

Any other tips?

I guess i should say I am looking for freelance:

Graphic Designer's
Web Progammers + MySQL

Please PM me if you are interested...!

-JR

RaDragon

Diamond Member
May 23, 2000
I like it, but change the font that reads coming soon, fall 2005 to something else to make the logo popup even more.

The tagline is ok.

ruffilb

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2005
Originally posted by: aidanjm
Originally posted by: JackRipper

Coming Soon
FALL 2005

-JR

I'd maybe use a different typeface for the additional explanatory text, versus the logo mark. Using the same typeface everywhere dilutes the identity represented by the logo mark, imo.

Agreed.

And the slogan doesn't make that much sense if you have no idea what it's for...

Dubb

Platinum Member
Mar 25, 2003
the orange and blue are nicely matched, but the green looks off on my monitor (which is calibrated for print work). if it's only for the site, you're probably ok, but a slight adjustment could have it working equally well in both print+screen. print it out on a good printer and compare - I bet you'll be surprised.

JackRipper

Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Dubb
the orange and blue are nicely matched, but the green looks off on my monitor (which is calibrated for print work). if it's only for the site, you're probably ok, but a slight adjustment could have it working equally well in both print+screen. print it out on a good printer and compare - I bet you'll be surprised.

ur right... how do i calibrate monitor for print work? i think the green needs to be brighter and have more color rite?

am going for like a lime green look...

-JR

JackRipper

Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: CaptainKahuna
I'd just leave it at: "Professional. Reliable"

Leave out the found, it still has a good effect.

I dunno i wanted a third word... but Eureka sounded zzzz i dunno i think the effect i wanted to create was... professional + reliable (structured) and the FOUND! was more of a stand out thing...

Originally posted by: RaDragon
I like it, but change the font that reads coming soon, fall 2005 to something else to make the logo popup even more.

The tagline is ok.

hrmm will go font surfing again...

Thanks again for looking !!!