What do you guys think about the MB CLA?

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
that renault turbo diesel would be cool for the US.

fwd yuck.

I would live with FWD if the car CAME with kate upton.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
The C-class is the size of a Civic - Is the A-Class the size of Fiesta?

I don't get it - but they sell a ton of Lexus CT200H's at $35- $40K so obviously there is demand for this vehicle class.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
With enough of a rear power bias (too much to dream for 50/50?) a CLA45 AMG Wagon could be interesting. Would make a nice slightly upscale reasonably powerful daily driver.

The rest of them? Not too bad looking but fwd is a massive deal breaker for me.

Viper GTS

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
It's the same size as the current C Class, the next C Class is going to be bigger.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
What was wrong with RWD compact cars?

Who the hell knows, honestly...surely FWD can't be [that much] cheaper to make, can it?

Only pros I can think of are a) easier for crappy drivers and b) safer in front end collisions.

Atty

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2006
Amusing how they are all excited about a "Mercedes Benz under $30,000". Most people don't think "Starting at $29,900" as under $30k. I'm sure there is some necessary option extra (seats, for instance, or maybe a windshield wiper) that is at least $100.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I've changed my mind. It actually looks pretty good in the commercial.

Last edited:

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
FWD is cheaper and easier to package.

I'm skeptical of the cost difference. They have to squeeze more into a smaller space. And then it's much harder to work on which more than offsets any cost savings.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I'm skeptical of the cost difference. They have to squeeze more into a smaller space. And then it's much harder to work on which more than offsets any cost savings.

My Maxima has required very little work in the 10 years and 125,000 miles I've put on it. Cam sensors, a radiator, motor mounts... that's about it really.

I'm not sure a Mercedes would be as reliable but condemning FWD based on that alone seems a bit... unfair.

PhoKingGuy

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2007
My Maxima has required very little work in the 10 years and 125,000 miles I've put on it. Cam sensors, a radiator, motor mounts... that's about it really.

I'm not sure a Mercedes would be as reliable but condemning FWD based on that alone seems a bit... unfair.

You're forgetting hes smarter than any automotive engineer thats worked for any of the major companies in the past 20-30 years.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

I have no idea what your Maxima being reliable has to do with FWD cars being more difficult to work on. Those are two separate and unrelated things.

Last edited:

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
I have no idea what your Maxima being reliable has to do with FWD cars being more difficult to work on. Those are two separate and unrelated things.

And being more difficult to work on has what impact on more difficult to build?

In a FWD application, all of the front end stuff is pre assembled. On step to attach to the car, and your done. no need to worry about drive shafts, rear diff's etc etc.

Futhermore, while I understand the benefits of RWD. The fanboi-ish of it is getting old. The market has spoken. FWD>RWD.

If RWD was so superior, then it would be the dominate form of car, its not.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
It's FWD??? Wow that sucks, I actually wanted to go test drive one. It's completely off my radar now.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
And being more difficult to work on has what impact on more difficult to build?

In a FWD application, all of the front end stuff is pre assembled. On step to attach to the car, and your done. no need to worry about drive shafts, rear diff's etc etc.

Futhermore, while I understand the benefits of RWD. The fanboi-ish of it is getting old. The market has spoken. FWD>RWD.

If RWD was so superior, then it would be the dominate form of car, its not.

It all depends on what you mean by "superior". Superior handling....that will almost always go to RWD - it's a much more balanced and traditional sports car approach. Most consumers don't care about handling, nor do they care about driving feel.

Superior packaging - that's FWD. I wouldn't even say it has to do with assembling the car. No driveshaft = no central hump in the middle of the floorboard = more interior room. It has more to do with versatility of design.FWD cars also have less drivetrain power loss than RWD cars. In a time where MPG matters, there is little incentive to keep building on platforms that are inherently less efficient.

From the perspective of a car enthusiast, packaging generally takes a back seat to handling characteristics. That is why RWD is important in this argument.

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

You said, and I quote, "it's much harder to work on which more than offsets any cost savings." :whiste:

If you don't have to work on it then what offset is there?