what do you get when you combine 4 rent controlled apartments in NYC?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
a sprawling penthouse and home office at bargain basement costs.

Rangel Rents Apartments at Bargain Rates

While aggressive evictions are making rent-stabilized apartments increasingly scarce in New York, Representative Charles B. Rangel is enjoying four of them, including three adjacent apartments in a sprawling penthouse overlooking Upper Manhattan, courtesy of one of New York?s premier real estate developers.

Mr. Rangel, the powerful Democrat who is chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, uses his fourth apartment, six floors below, as a campaign office, despite state and city regulations that require rent-stabilized apartments to be used as a primary residence.

Mr. Rangel... paid a total rent of $3,894 monthly in 2007 for the four apartments at Lenox Terrace, a 1,700-unit, six-tower luxury development with doormen that is described in real estate publications as Harlem?s most prestigious address.

The current market-rate rent for similar apartments in the building would total $7,465 to $8,125 a month, according to the Web site of the owner, the Olnick Organization.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07...nyregion/11rangel.html

thank god he's on the ways and means committee, the national debt will be down to 0 in no time if he can secure these kind of deals for the government.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
a sprawling penthouse and home office at bargain basement costs.

Rangel Rents Apartments at Bargain Rates

While aggressive evictions are making rent-stabilized apartments increasingly scarce in New York, Representative Charles B. Rangel is enjoying four of them, including three adjacent apartments in a sprawling penthouse overlooking Upper Manhattan, courtesy of one of New York?s premier real estate developers.

Mr. Rangel, the powerful Democrat who is chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, uses his fourth apartment, six floors below, as a campaign office, despite state and city regulations that require rent-stabilized apartments to be used as a primary residence.

Mr. Rangel... paid a total rent of $3,894 monthly in 2007 for the four apartments at Lenox Terrace, a 1,700-unit, six-tower luxury development with doormen that is described in real estate publications as Harlem?s most prestigious address.

The current market-rate rent for similar apartments in the building would total $7,465 to $8,125 a month, according to the Web site of the owner, the Olnick Organization.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07...nyregion/11rangel.html

thank god he's on the ways and means committee, the national debt will be down to 0 in no time if he can secure these kind of deals for the government.

Oh look, what a novelty, crooked politician taking advantage of his position in office to get sweetheart deals. They're all bums!

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
This one I'm not so sure about. Rent controlled apartments can be had all over NYC by those that are fortunate enough to fall into them. It looks bad, but this could just be a situation where he had it fall into his lap.

http://www.housingnyc.com/html...s/faq/rentcontrol.html

If Rangel used his position to get these apartments like the article is making it sound, he needs to be in front of the ethics committee and I would be shocked if he got off without at least a letter in his file or even a censure.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
This one I'm not so sure about. Rent controlled apartments can be had all over NYC by those that are fortunate enough to fall into them. It looks bad, but this could just be a situation where he had it fall into his lap.

If Rangel used his position to get these apartments like the article is making it sound, he needs to be in front of the ethics committee and I would be shocked if he got off without at least a letter in his file or even a censure.

Is it even a question that he did? Of course he used his position to get the apartments.

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
Originally posted by: CPA

Is it even a question that he did? Of course he used his position to get the apartments.

proof?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Taejin
Originally posted by: CPA

proof?

He is a politician.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: loki8481
the national debt will be down to 0 in no time if he can secure these kind of deals for the government.

nicely done

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

one apartment, sure.

hell, maybe even two.

but four?!

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Why are you suggestions a politician would use his power and influence to get a deal like this? I am at a loss of words for these crazy allegations!

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Sawyer
Why are you suggestions a politician would use his power and influence to get a deal like this? I am at a loss of words for these crazy allegations!

And he is not even a Republican :(

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Anyone from NYC care to explain how this works?

Would seem to me that someone as wealthy as Rangel has no business getting this kind of deal on even one apartment, much less 4. Shouldn't this benefit be help for lower income people?

Fern

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
Man what's going on with our political leaders?! This stuff seems to be happening every other day now. Don't any of them have any shame or remorse? It's very disheartening to hear about this crap day after day from our supposed moral leaders. I wouldn't have been half as surprised if it had been a big business CEO or a Hollywood celebrity doing this shady $hit.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Isn't this the same fool who is leasing a nice luxury car on the tax payers dime and insists he base wants and expects him to do so? L-O-L

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Did everyone else miss the part where you're only allowed to use rent-stabilized apartments as a primary residence?

By definition, you can only have 1 primary residence. By having four, same office building or not, he is clearly breaking the law.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Originally posted by: TerryMathews
Did everyone else miss the part where you're only allowed to use rent-stabilized apartments as a primary residence?

By definition, you can only have 1 primary residence. By having four, same office building or not, he is clearly breaking the law.

Well, home-boy is primarily livin' large.

HUGE FREAKING EDIT:

Congressman Rangel served in the U.S. Army from 1948-52, during which time he fought in Korea and was awarded the Purple Heart and Bronze Star.

Hands-off, fuckers. The man can do no wrong.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: fallout man
Congressman Rangel served in the U.S. Army from 1948-52, during which time he fought in Korea and was awarded the Purple Heart and Bronze Star.

Hands-off, fuckers. The man can do no wrong.

Who cares? Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham was the first jet ace of the Vietnam conflict and one of the first instructors at Top Gun and that didn't stop us from throwing his ass in jail.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Gotta love it. I paid 3,425/mo for a "rent controlled" apartment in NYC with 688sqft and this corrupt fucker gets away with this shit.

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: Corbett
Culture of corruption!!!

:thumbsup: Can't say all are corrupt but when stories like this are no longer shocking it's a problem.

Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
proof?

He is a politician.

Proof enough for me.

here we have people who want to convict others based on their profession. What are you doing in this democracy? Go to China or somewhere like it.. it would fit you better as a whole.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: Corbett
Culture of corruption!!!

:thumbsup: Can't say all are corrupt but when stories like this are no longer shocking it's a problem.

Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
proof?

He is a politician.

Proof enough for me.

here we have people who want to convict others based on their profession. What are you doing in this democracy? Go to China or somewhere like it.. it would fit you better as a whole.

Uh, it was a joke. Well kinda. I want to convict him and those like him for using their political positions to break the law. Do you not have a problem with the corruption in our government? If this doesn't outrage you then thanks for being part of the problem rather than the solution. Maybe it's you who should 'Gyeeeet Out!'?