What do you consider the best deal in used graphics cards? (Jan/Feb 2017)

Dave2150

Jan 20, 2015
As a point of reference here was my original thread back in August 2016:

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...the-best-deal-in-used-graphics-cards.2483073/

P.S. At the time I wrote that thread there was some speculation that the R9 290s and R9 390s might drop in price after being used for mining. Has that happened already? If so, what do you think a good price for these would be?

I wouldn't be keen to buy a second hand GPU that's been raped 24/7 mining, though as long as you know it's in warranty and that the warranty is transferable to you, then it's ok I guess. Most warranties are not transferable though.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
I wouldn't be keen to buy a second hand GPU that's been raped 24/7 mining, though as long as you know it's in warranty and that the warranty is transferable to you, then it's ok I guess. Most warranties are not transferable though.

I agree about the wear and tear.

However, even if the card is still in Warranty I'd still be concerned about the condition of fans and when they will fail? (ie, Is wear so bad that the fans would likely fail fairly soon after the warranty expires?)

With that mentioned, I have noticed there are some aftermarket coolers I could use (if the fans should fail and I can't find stock replacements)....but these are expensive and may not work with custom (aka non-reference) PCB.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Its hard to say, with the great deals on 470/480s @ 130-150 there is no reason to buy a used 290/390 over $100.
In the US, for sure. Internationally used cards can still provide good value especially if the deals on Polaris cards (or a dip in Eth prices) depress the value of used 290s. Canada's not a terribly overpriced market relative to some, but even here the deals aren't quite as good. The cheapest 4GB 470 I can find is $220 after a $20 MIR, or a hair under US$170. With just federal tax and shipping it ends up being US$180. Even up to US$120-130, the 290 would be a decent value if it's not a reference blower. That's the price you'd end up paying for a 4GB 460 if that's as far as your budget goes.

Reactions: Headfoot

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
In the US, for sure. Internationally used cards can still provide good value especially

Yeah. Considering the 470 4gb is basically a 290 performance wise no reason to buy a 290 used over it unless you get it a good deal cheaper. Limited warranty, hotter / more power hungry and slower in newer games since its older arch. I wouldn't buy one unless it was a good 20% cheaper.