What do you all think of the Rosewill MAGNETAR case? Ordered a couple of them for personal use.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rosewill-G...Two-Front-Blue-LED-Fans-MAGNETAR/173371705927

Well, they were cheap, and from appearances, seem to be a bit more of a "modern" case than what I'm currently using.

Both of those cases, will replace an Azza CSAZ-2080-S ATX case (With only 6 accessible expansion slots, what were they thinking? And poor air-cooling to boot.), and a Rosewill Line-M (A decent mid-tower micro-ATX case, 5 expansion slots, front LED 120mm and rear 120mm exhaust fans.)

Wanting some more expansion capability, more room, and I thought that the twin 120mm LED intake fans (which can be removed to add a front Rad.), and rear 120mm exhaust, would add more cooling.

Rig(s) are Ryzen R5 1600 CPU, 32GB DDR4@2400, SSD, HDD, RX 470/570 dGPU.

Reactions: cbn

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, I finally built in one of these. They are actually quite nice, and quite modern. Sure, there's a few corners cut, the SSD mounts on the inside wall, are plastic, not metal, even though they look like metal. But maybe that's required, because they're tool-less, to mount the SSD inside, there's some "pin-like things" for the four mounting holes on the sides of a 2.5" HDD / SSD.

The rest of my components:
Gigabyte X370 Gaming AM4 ATX mobo
Intel 512GB 545s SATA 2.5" SSD
EVGA G1+ 650W PSU
Ryzen R5 1600 1st-gen CPU
GSkill 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3000 Ripjaws V CAS15 (runs at full speed in Ryzen boards, though I don't think that it's B-die)
Sapphire mining RX 470 4GB GPU (to be replaced, won't do 4K UHD off of the DVI-D port using an HDMI adapter, sigh)

Was going to bump it up to 32GB and 2x RX 570 cards. (Already have.)

Maybe throw in a 4TB HDD too. Should be a sweet(er) rig when I'm done rebuilding.

Since I've put in a SATA SSD, and using an X370 chipset and 1st-gen Ryzen CPU, I might actually throw Windows 7 64-bit on there as well, just for fun. Maybe a triple/quad-boot with Linux. That should be interesting. (Actually, it would probably just be way easier, to throw in three separate SATA 2.5" SSDs, and/or maybe an M.2 PCI-E NVMe SSD for Win10, although I want to use both PCI-E x16 (physical) slots, so maybe not.)

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Its a case like that sometimes that has me wondering if a Antec 900 is overkill for a non overclocked system. I like the ssd placement on that case,the cages on the 900 feel very obstructive. So many cases are dumping side mounted fans though.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
So where do you put the SATA SSDs at?
There's two SSD mounts under the 5.25" bay casing, in the mobo tray. And one behind the mobo. So 3x 2.5" SSD bays, and then there's two 3.5" bays like those, behind the mobo tray at the bottom. Plus, there may be one more in front at the bottom, at least some mounting screw holes, not mounting frames.

I'm a little confused by the fact that the 5.25" bays, there's mounting for two of them, but only one of them is exposed through the front, though both could have been. Seems like an arbitrary disadvantage in functionality.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Well it seems like *you* should be telling us; it's not about looks, but build quality, which needs hands-on experience.

Rosewill started as a cheapo brand but has rapidly earned a lot of respect. However, it's unlikely people would have direct knoeledge of this model, with the market being inundated with reasonably priced, top tier cases.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well it seems like *you* should be telling us; it's not about looks, but build quality, which needs hands-on experience.

Rosewill started as a cheapo brand but has rapidly earned a lot of respect. However, it's unlikely people would have direct knoeledge of this model, with the market being inundated with reasonably priced, top tier cases.
Yeah I like Corsair cases myself, building two systems with their products.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This case has grown on me (figuratively). I'm looking for a 3rd, and possibly a 4th.

I bought two of these off of Rosewill or Newegg on ebay for cheap, they were being closed out.

The weird part is, I see "ABS" Gaming PCs on Newegg, that look just like this case, for the most part, but with an "ABS" logo nameplate glued on.

Is it possible that Newegg bought out the remaining production lot of these cases, for use in their own PCs?

Don't want to pay more than $40-50 ea., for them, but if anyone can find me a couple more (new, not dented/B-stock), for $50 or under, I would be grateful.

List price for these was originally $100, which was rather steep for a non-RGB, non-tempered glass case, in today's market climate. But it still has (one) 5.25" bay, which I find valuable, and decent cooling (dual 120mm front LED fans, front mesh), and a pretty sturdy metal / construction.