What do think of Bush's new ME democracy policy?

VioletAura

Banned
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/middle_east/july-dec03/democracy_11-07.html

I like the idea, but I have doubts whether it will be executed properly. Also, why focus solely on the arab world? Should be expanded to the whole world IMO.

Always a good idea to support freedom and democracy.

Order and peace come first. Those so called "tyrannies" and "dictatorships" in the mideast are keeping the fanatics in line. Is bush that deluded that he actually wants democracy in countries where the overwhelming majorities of the populations hate the US? Think about it.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: VioletAura

I like the idea, but I have doubts whether it will be executed properly. Also, why focus solely on the arab world? Should be expanded to the whole world IMO.

Order and peace come first. Those so called "tyrannies" and "dictatorships" in the mideast are keeping the fanatics in line. Is bush that deluded that he actually wants democracy in countries where the overwhelming majorities of the populations hate the US? Think about it.

We dont support those countries unless they make progress toward democracy. It seems simple enough. Maybe even EU countries will catch on the concept.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001

We dont support those countries unless they make progress toward democracy. It seems simple enough. Maybe even EU countries will catch on the concept.

so you think that the US will act against S-A ???

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: freegeeks

so you think that the US will act against S-A ???

I thought they were going to hold some sort of (municipial?) elections sometime in the future. That could be viewed as some sort of progress.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm undecided, it seems like a good idea but it has to be done very very carefuly and very slowly and I'm not sure Bush can do that

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
He should try that in Florida by counting the 2000 votes and resigning his stolen office.

The putz has tried everything, WMD, Saddam out, 1441, 911, and on and on and on. Bush lied about the war and continues with his joke. It's not about democracy it's about winning his first Presidential election.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001

privatebreyer

Nov 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Vadatajs

But it's always a bad idea to force your ideals down somebody's throat before they're ready.

In the middle east, its not so much that it would be shoved down there throat, but that there throats would be slit if they'll said that they were. We all know how open Saddam, or the Iranian Mullahs, or the Taliban was to the idea of democracy, whether the people wanted it or not.