What do they mean when they say 3 month's salary for a ring?

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
i'm not going to get married anytime soon, but i am just curious... do they mean like your net wages for 3 months? or simply what you have saved up over 3 months? before or after taxes?

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
3 months worth of paychecks. Before or after is kinda up to you.

Me? No kiddin. My wife got a 30 dollar silver ring. Same for me.

Why?

If the extent of my love is determined by what kind of ring I get, then I'm getting married for the wrong reasons. Take that 3 months of paychecks and go to French Polyponesia for your honeymoon instead of having a nice ring. My .02 cents.

ChrisIsBored

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
3 months of paychecks or 1 kidney... i've found you can sell off the kidney much quicker than working.

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
"They" are the companies trying to sell you the ring. Do you take advice from the car dealer on how much markup you should pay for a car? :D

Pay what *you* feel comfortable with when buying a ring. ;)

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
I just took a black magic marker and drew a ring around her finger; cost me 69 cents. ;)

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: jjones
I just took a black magic marker and drew a ring around her finger; cost me 69 cents. ;)

you got ripped :) You use a dried up one and only do the top of the finger, who looks at the bottom :D

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Other corporations trying to copy DeBeers:

McDonalds "How else could one entire days salary give you a heart attack later on in life?"

RIAA "Unless you buy at least 10 cds a month of our crappy music, you are an internet pirate and should be in jail."

Ah boo.. can't think of any more and this isn't funny.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
That "two months' salary" thing has to be the most successful marketing gimmick of all time. They want you to think that if you love her, you'll want to spend that amount and if you don't you are a rotten miser. But they've been so successful in getting people to think that way most people think it's some kind of law.

Two months' salary for a ring? Wouldn't most people who are getting married have a lot better use for that kind of money?

Just ignore their "suggestion" of two months' salary. My wife didn't even want an engagement ring. Whatever you and your fiancee agree on is what is right for you.

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
I "prepared myself" when getting my wife's engagement ring. I saved up some cash & went down to the jewelry store in advance. I set up a financing agreement and paid a downpayment, so basically she could have chosen any ring in the store.

Bless her, when we went down to choose a ring, she picked out a dainty little thing. I actually got some of my 'down payment' back, no financing necessary. Whew!

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
That's all propaganda from the diamond cartel folks.This might come as a shock but some women really don't care much for jewelry and really don't want great big rings that we might lose or that will catch on everything as we go thru out our day. I've had "good" rings and either lost em or gave them to my daughters.

flot

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

You've never seen a gaggle of giddy girls oooohing and ahhhhing over a friend's new engagement ring? I've seen the aftermath, it's not pretty.

I think you can expect to pay 2-3 months salary, within reason, also obviously depends a lot on your fiancee. If hypothetically I made $50,000-$60,000 I'd expect to pay somewhere in the range of $6000-$10,000 for an engagement ring. $6k would be a little on the cheap side, but IMO $10k is a "reasonable" cap for someone in that salary range.

Did I just say $10k was reasonable? <shudder> Personally I wouldn't want to wear anything on me that costs more than $1000.

But hey, just think of it as a down payment on a divorce. :D

L

Lola

Look, i am sorry, but i am a female that likes jewelry. I sure don't need some huge rock, but i eventually ;) would like a nice ring! No, i am not greedy or prissy either

eLiTeGoodGuy

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2001
When I bought my girlfriend her engagement ring I was trying to save up and sell everything that was worth something to me... like my $1000 paintball gun :( Fortunately it didn't go for the price I was expectin so I didn't sell it. And I still bought a nice ring.. I hope I get my moneys worth ;)

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by: flot
Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

You've never seen a gaggle of giddy girls oooohing and ahhhhing over a friend's new engagement ring? I've seen the aftermath, it's not pretty.

I think you can expect to pay 2-3 months salary, within reason, also obviously depends a lot on your fiancee. If hypothetically I made $50,000-$60,000 I'd expect to pay somewhere in the range of $6000-$10,000 for an engagement ring. $6k would be a little on the cheap side, but IMO $10k is a "reasonable" cap for someone in that salary range.

Did I just say $10k was reasonable? <shudder> Personally I wouldn't want to wear anything on me that costs more than $1000.

But hey, just think of it as a down payment on a divorce. :D
Yeah, I've seen the 'gaggle'. But that's a pretty shallow group that doesn't take into account the diamond quality, only the size. You can buy a huge diamond for next to nothing if it is a poor grade & color. And the 'gaggle' will still oooh & aaaah over it. It's just like anything else, the first question you have to ask is if you are buying it for you or buying it for what other people think.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
We've had this sorta thread before about how much to spend on a ring. I'll just say that it wasn't exactly 3 months salary for me, but it was getting close. I didn't go to a big chain either. If you want 1.0 carat (not meaning she wants it, but you want it for her), then you're going into that range. It doesn't matter if it's a marketing gimmick phrase or what... find me a 1.0 carat ring for much less than 2-3 months salary... anywhere. ;)

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
My wife is against diamonds, because of the cartels selling them. So, not quite a months salary for a nice platinum ring, and we just celebrated 2 years on monday. :)

Saltin

Platinum Member
Jul 21, 2001
When you do decide to marry your girl, do it right and buy the best ring you can afford. That might be 2 months salary, it might be 2 weeks.
You don't want to cheap out on things like this. A little secret; "every girl wants a nice ring".
Finally, when you do get engaged, people are going to look at the ring, and they are going to judge you based on that ring. It sucks, but it's true. If you buy a nice one, not only will you're girl love you, her friends will too.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Saltin
When you do decide to marry your girl, do it right and buy the best ring you can afford. That might be 2 months salary, it might be 2 weeks.
You don't want to cheap out on things like this. A little secret; "every girl wants a nice ring".
Finally, when you do get engaged, people are going to look at the ring, and they are going to judge you based on that ring. It sucks, but it's true. If you buy a nice one, not only will you're girl love you, her friends will too.
To some, it may not matter what friends (or their girl's friends) think about them. I personally agree with you... it matters a lot more than guys may think, even if they say otherwise. My fiance is the sweetest girl and NEVER even wears jewelry or brand name expensive clothes. But a nice ring made her the object of jealousy among her friends for a long while... and I was happy I was able to put her in that situation.

L

Lola

Originally posted by: rh71
Originally posted by: Saltin
To some, it may not matter what friends (or their girl's friends) think about them. I personally agree with you... it matters a lot more than guys may think, even if they say otherwise. My fiance is the sweetest girl and NEVER even wears jewelry or brand name expensive clothes. But a nice ring made her the object of jealousy among her friends for a long while... and I was happy I was able to put her in that situation.

You guys got it EXACLTY right. I tip my hat to your knowing what women want:D

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
Since some of the televison coverage of the atrocities that occur in the diamond mines, my wife refuses to buy any more diamonds. Things like rebels going through villages and cutting off an appendage (foot, hand, ear, finger, etc.) of each and every man, woman, and child in the population. It's really pretty sad. And while it would be possible for the cartels not to buy diamonds in these areas, it would be a serious profit crunch so they continue to do so.

MuffD

Diamond Member
May 31, 2000
I think this is about right for your ring. Back in 1997 I paid almost 6k for my wifes ring. 1 Carat center stone (princess cut) with 1/2 carat of baggets around the band in a platinum setting.

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
whether it be a 500 dollar ring or a 5000 dollar ring, it ought to be something you had to work for,nothing in life comes easy or cheap and neither should your girl;)