What do they call that job where you become a medical guinea pig?

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
This came up in discussion last night about this guy who had a job, basically showing up at a hospital and getting probed, X-Ray, sampled, etc. He actually did this for a living. If I recall correctly, it paid like $60K per year.
It struck me as interesting. I did some searches, but came up with nothing. One side of me was saying what an idiot, but another side of me was admiring the contribution to medical science. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

compuwiz1

Oct 9, 1999
You have to be dead to be a cadaver. This guy is very much alive. I don't think he even works everyday, maybe 2-3 days a week, very part time, but with full time compensation.

bacillus

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001

<< basically showing up at a hospital and getting probed, >>

hope they're not doing trials on gut function! :Q
as for your oringinal query, can't help as personally I'd call him a guinea pig or trial volunteer.

compuwiz1

Oct 9, 1999
C'mon, somebody must have the correct job title. I wanna know! ;)

BTW, I wonder if you can exclude the "getting probed" part from your job description? Pricked is fine, but probed....hell no, not hell no, but F*** NO!

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001

<< BTW, I wonder if you can exclude the "getting probed" part from your job description? Pricked is fine, but probed....hell no, not hell no, but F*** NO! >>

Damn straight. I'll let a doctor do just about about any test on me without complaint if it involves needles, but when that white glove comes on, I start questioning the necessity of the test...

bacillus

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001

<< Damn straight. I'll let a doctor do just about about any test on me without complaint if it involves needles, but when that white glove comes on, I start questioning the necessity of the test... >>

sounds like you've had some previous experience! :D

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
I had a friend in University that was involved in a experiment. It involved drinking a high caffeine drink and biking to failure (or vomiting), then for fun they took a core sample of his thight muscle. I think the scars will last forever also. He also said is was not worth the $$.

frazzled

Dec 7, 1999
Lirion is correct .....Research Subject.

And apparently as compuwiz was saying there are folks who basically make a living at it. Usually if they fit into a particularly "useful" demographic, for example, perimenopausal women.

The other term (study participant) is meant for folks who have a particular medical condition and are signed up for randomized trials to investigate possible treatments.

I've certainly "helped" out in my share of studies where the only thing involved is giving blood after various infusions, etc. (Most medical students have at one time or another) ....but I draw the line at any invasive studies ...plenty of time for those when I'm 50 :(.

fraz

Oh, and if a study you're considering involves a muscle biopsy? Watch out, they *hurt*.