What do over ripe oranges taste like?

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
I picked an orange off my orange tree, and it's very sour and bitter. It's either over ripe or some cross between an orange and a lemon. The seeds were from an orange, but can a lemon tree pollinate it?

Oranges
Oranges

Feb 6, 2007
They taste overly sweet, like most rotten fruit. A pungeant, sickeningly sweet aroma, almost like vomit (depending on how sweet the orange was to begin with). An easier way to judge ripeness is by texture; ripe oranges are firm but squishy, underripe oranges are hard and overripe oranges are very soft. But that all is going to vary by what type of orange it is; valencias are soft and sweet, good for juicing, while blood oranges are more bitter and sour. Do you know what type of orange it was?

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
They taste overly sweet, like most rotten fruit. A pungeant, sickeningly sweet aroma, almost like vomit (depending on how sweet the orange was to begin with). An easier way to judge ripeness is by texture; ripe oranges are firm but squishy, underripe oranges are hard and overripe oranges are very soft. But that all is going to vary by what type of orange it is; valencias are soft and sweet, good for juicing, while blood oranges are more bitter and sour. Do you know what type of orange it was?

No idea, I planted the plant about 16 years ago. This is the first time it's actually produced fruit. They've been on there for a while, so they are probably just over ripe. My family and I thought oranges are suppose to stay on the tree for a long time.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: txrandom
No idea, I planted the plant about 16 years ago. This is the first time it's actually produced fruit. They've been on there for a while, so they are probably just over ripe. My family and I thought oranges are suppose to stay on the tree for a long time.

Are you sure its not a grapefruit?

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
Originally posted by: SagaLore

Yep, it is an orange tree.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001

Did you get the tree from an orchard or nursery, or did you plant a seed from an orange you bought?

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004

Did you get the tree from an orchard or nursery, or did you plant a seed from an orange you bought?

Planted it with orange seeds. I thought it was just die, but my grandparents kept care of it while I was in Singapore for several years.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Planted it with orange seeds. I thought it was just die, but my grandparents kept care of it while I was in Singapore for several years.

Ah okay. So all those oranges produced in orchards are not natural orange trees. They're grafted hybrids. The root stock controls how big and flavorful the oranges get, while the scion controls the shape, color, texture, and flavor itself. When you plant a seed from one of these cultivars, the parent is the scion.

You probably also picked the orange way too soon. :p

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
What type of orange tree is it? Could be a tangelo (cross between tangerine and grapefruit), those taste pretty awful like you describe IMO.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004

Ah okay. So all those oranges produced in orchards are not natural orange trees. They're grafted hybrids. The root stock controls how big and flavorful the oranges get, while the scion controls the shape, color, texture, and flavor itself. When you plant a seed from one of these cultivars, the parent is the scion.

You probably also picked the orange way too soon. :p

They've been on there for a while, and they were pretty orange. Do they get better with time? Originally I thought they were suppose to stay on there for a long time. We did have a snow in Houston about a month ago, and I'm thinking that may had messed with them. Does a freeze actually kill the fruit or just make them taste bad?

I'm about to post pictures cause I just went and picked all of them. They are all pretty sour and bitter. I figure can juice them and use it as a substitute for lemon or lime juice.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
Oranges
Oranges

I have no idea what type of orange it is since I planted it a long, long time ago. The meat of the fruit is more of a yellow than the typical orange. Do you think these are under or over ripe? Or maybe just a messed up variation of orange?

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006

An over riped orange should have an alcoholic taste to it, which is a common affect for fruit/juice with high sugar content.

It sound like you have a poor speciment, check with the local nursery for a better variety (honey orange, etc...) and aquire grafting information.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
Originally posted by: NoShangriLa

An over riped orange should have an alcoholic taste to it, which is a common affect for fruit/juice with high sugar content.

It sound like you have a poor speciment, check with the local nursery for a better variety (honey orange, etc...) and aquire grafting information.

I wasn't aware of the alcoholic taste, but that reminds me of the time when certain parts of the pineapple I was eating tasted like alcohol.

I just planted this one from seeds from an orange I bought at a grocery store a long time ago, so I have no idea on the specimen.

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006

I wasn't aware of the alcoholic taste, but that reminds me of the time when certain parts of the pineapple I was eating tasted like alcohol.

I just planted this one from seeds from an orange I bought at a grocery store a long time ago, so I have no idea on the specimen.
The nice thing is that you have a fully mature tree that can have multiple grafts (multiple varieties) that could produce grafted fruits in 3-4 years.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004

The nice thing is that you have a fully mature tree that can have multiple grafts (multiple varieties) that could produce grafted fruits in 3-4 years.

I don't know much about plants. What do you mean by grafted fruits?

Also, what happens if a lemon tree pollinates an orange tree? Does it produce a mix between a lemon and orange? or is a situation like this not possible?

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
I don't know much about plants. What do you mean by grafted fruits?

Also, what happens if a lemon tree pollinates an orange tree? Does it produce a mix between a lemon and orange? or is a situation like this not possible?
Cross polination is possible between 2 similar plant varieties, and the result could be a fruit that have a weak to mild characteristic of the given pollen. The seed of the combine cross pollinated varieties may show strong characteristic of the 2 parents, however it could revert back to its natural/wild state.

When you graft fruit trees of different of varieties the flowering/fruit result is mostly from the stock plant, and a little of the scion characteristic may pass through to the fruit.

Common horticulture practice is to select a strong scion (root/stem) plant that have high immunity to diseases and vigorous root system. Then the better tasting/yield stock is grafted on top of the host scion to produce the desire fruit.

Grafting was a hobby of mine in my early teen & pre-teenager age (grandparents & aunts were farmers).

Try Googling grafting.