What do luck, a paint mixer and a fire have in common?

Jfrag Teh Foul

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
So I work at a bank, and the other day I walk into the vault and notice a bucket that has a lot of blackened and corroded coin in it. I ask the lady that works in the vault what was up with it, to which she said that it was change that had been through a housefire. I then asked what the bank was going to do with it, and she said that they had already written it off and was about to throw it away... literally throw it in the garbage!! I said... umm I will take it and clean it if you guys don't want to deal with it, to which she agreed.

The next day I walk into the vault, pour the coin into a bag and head to my dad's garage (he owns a autobody shop). Upon arrival I take the nasty coinage and put it all into a shiny new gallon paint can and add about a quart of sand. After this I put it onto the paint mixer (a device that literally shakes like crazy to mix tints together). Thirty minutes later I come back and it looks like frickin new. Took it back to the vault chick and cashed it in for $46 and change. :)

I laughed my arse off when I walked back across to the tellers and promptly paid extra on my credit card bill. :D

I love free money.

***EDIT***

Only about 5 coins were melted beyond use... the rest I cashed.

Jfrag Teh Foul

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
I read that as paint thinner, and I thought you set yourself on fire but didn't die due to luck.

Ack! I did get laquer thinner in my eyes once... no luck involved there. I've had stitches plenty of times and I would much rather have those than EVER getting thinner in my eyes again.

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
Wow, good going. $46 for nothing isn't a bad deal. Pretty awesome way to clean metal, too.