What do I want for my (ouch) 27th Birthday?

hevnsnt

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Ok, I am trying to decide what I want for my 27th birthday.. Help me decide and suggest some stuff I may have not thought about..

1) Directivo - I already have a high def sat receiver and a high-def tv.. DirectTv is going to offer a bunch more HDTV chans here in a few days so not sure if I want to go this route (I already have a tivo on my non hdtv tv)

2) DVD Burner - Not sure why I want one of these but I do. I already have a ton of CD burners, and all my movie "backups" play on my xbox hard drive.

budget is around 300-400 so what should I tell my wife that I want? I am not a gamer, so video cards and stuff are really out..

Anyone have any ideas?

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Well DVD burners are nice, but I only used them for backing up massive amounts of anime.. I dont know if you are going to have a need for something like that..

Making VCDs out of DVDs might be nice though.. just 1 disc instead of 2 for some of the higher quality movies.. don't really know how to do that but it seems like it should be possible

T3C

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2003
ya, i wouldnt go with a dvd burner unless you really had a good use for it.

directivo sounds cool though

WarmAndSCSI

Banned
Jun 4, 2001
<smartass>I don't know, what do you want for your 27th birthday?</smartass>

Definitely DVD burner. Any other components you'd want to upgrade in your box, too.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
Good thread! My *gasp* 30th b-day is in 2 weeks and everybody keeps asking me what I want.

I keep telling them I just want time (to play games, spend with my family), but none of them seem to be able to find that at any stores ;).

hevnsnt

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Originally posted by: bunker
Good thread! My *gasp* 30th b-day is in 2 weeks and everybody keeps asking me what I want.

I keep telling them I just want time (to play games, spend with my family), but none of them seem to be able to find that at any stores ;).

if they find some, get some for me as well and I will pay ya back ;)

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Yeah last year I got a Kenwood mp3 HU for my truck and I consider it money well-spent. Added an amp and a sub at the same time so it was quite an upgrade. I had replaced a stock HU and 6-disc changer. Originally I thought I wanted a changer, but I can fit 9-10 albums of high bitrate mp3s on one 80-minute CD so it's even better. I've had a completely mp3-based music library for three years now and my car was the last piece to be upgraded to mp3. I'd actually prefer one of those "keg" based players to do away with discs altogether, but the capacity isn't big enough and the price still too high to justify it. Won't be long though!

l2c

P.S. You might want to consider a mini-DV based video camera also... they've come down a lot in price and once you get to using firewire to transfer your movies to the computer you'll finally have a good use for that DVD burner. :)

hevnsnt

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Originally posted by: luv2chill
Yeah last year I got a Kenwood mp3 HU for my truck and I consider it money well-spent. Added an amp and a sub at the same time so it was quite an upgrade. I had replaced a stock HU and 6-disc changer. Originally I thought I wanted a changer, but I can fit 9-10 albums of high bitrate mp3s on one 80-minute CD so it's even better. I've had a completely mp3-based music library for three years now and my car was the last piece to be upgraded to mp3. I'd actually prefer one of those "keg" based players to do away with discs altogether, but the capacity isn't big enough and the price still too high to justify it. Won't be long though!

l2c

P.S. You might want to consider a mini-DV based video camera also... they've come down a lot in price and once you get to using firewire to transfer your movies to the computer you'll finally have a good use for that DVD burner. :)

Yeah.. MP3 based player is what I would be after.. But I have a Jeep GC, which has that huge head unit.. not sure how it would look in there.. As for camcorder, I don't have kids yet, so I dont know what I would use it for.... but good suggestions!

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: hevnsnt
Ok, I am trying to decide what I want for my 27th birthday.. Help me decide and suggest some stuff I may have not thought about..

1) Directivo - I already have a high def sat receiver and a high-def tv.. DirectTv is going to offer a bunch more HDTV chans here in a few days so not sure if I want to go this route (I already have a tivo on my non hdtv tv)

2) DVD Burner - Not sure why I want one of these but I do. I already have a ton of CD burners, and all my movie "backups" play on my xbox hard drive.

budget is around 300-400 so what should I tell my wife that I want? I am not a gamer, so video cards and stuff are really out..

Anyone have any ideas?

Tell your wife you'd like her to give you a BJ gift card that you can redeem anytime you want. That way, anytime you feel the urge, you can just redeem it and get a load off your mind.

I meant the wholesale club, you pervs! :)