What do I do to (try) ressurect my dead HD ?

err

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
I have a dead IBM 10 GB HD.... can't believe it .. I've been running this baby for almost 2 years now.

I sold a computer system to my cousin and she places an altec lansing subwoofer next to her computer system. When it is jammin' it rocks the whole computer case, thus eventually slowly killing the HD. (my hypothesis)

Anyway, is there a method to at least try resurrect this poor HD?
Can I still get the data in there?

The symptom that HD is dead is that it can't even be detected by the BIOS, unrecognized during POST. It spins, but sometimes makes a funny noticable clicking sound.

Any suggestions ?

Thx

eRr

cmv

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
You'll see ads in the back of computer shopper for services to extract data off dead disks.

The cost is really high. Hopefully someone will have some better suggestion but I think you'll just have to bite the bullet and start fresh.

BigDave

Jul 26, 2000
If the drive is truly dead, and you're just waiting for a warranty return, try these things:

(1) Freeze it. Yup, put it in a ziploc bag and freeze it overnight. Sometimes the temperature change moves the heads and discs in such a manner that you can get your data off it real quick. Other times it kills the drive... ;)

(2) Hit it. Hard. Slam it hard, but evenly, on a hard surface. Sometimes it actually works. Other times it kills the drive... ;)

These are only for when you're really desparate. But they have WORKED for me...

err

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
BigDave,

I am interested to do the things that you have said.

I will bang the HD hard to see if it will come back from the dead.

obenton, it is not the issue of IDE cable. I've tested this drive on another 3 systems and still the same. The HD is totally dead.

I am even thinking to submerge this HD for a decoration in my fish tank.

eRr

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If it's dead and no longer under warranty, there is not much that can be done(try previous suggestions). Do what I do, open it up and look at the shiny disks. :) Good for hours of entertainment!!