What did you want to be when/if you grew up and how close are you now?

unxpurg8d

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2000
I was just sitting here contemplating how far I am now from where I always thought I'd end up, and got curious about how many of the rest of you actually ended up where you were aiming?

For the record, my friend and I planned on opening a "house of ill-repute" in Nevada when we were in high school - but now we're saving that plan for her husband's insurance money. :p

Seriously, I'd planned on going to law school, but ended up everywhere else except there.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Here's one for you.

One of my best friends got his law degree and practiced for a few years.

Now he owns two houses of ill repute in Battle Mountain, Nevada.

Come to think of it his profession really didn't change, did it?

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
i am still a student.

frankly i thought i'd be dead at 24. i am 20 now. (actually this is not a joke)

anyway, i always wanted to become a teacher. now, am going for engineering. i still wanna teach though.

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999
I "plan" on being a counsellor of some sort. I will hopefully start fresh at a new college this winter :D

unxpurg8d

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2000
lol jadinolf, actually it kind of did - instead of prostituting himself he's now prostituting others. I really don't think that's a step UP though.....

Mday, a lot of people must go through that "why bother planning for the future, I'm not planning on having one" stage. I was SO surprised to wake up one day and be 25 and realize I didn't have any idea where the ten years before that disappeared to! I'm still playing catchup on all the things I'd once hoped to accomplish. :(

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Well, my plans for the future have ranged from being a streetsweeper driver (Hey, I was four...), an NBA player, architectural drafting, computer engineering, & now business management. When I was hired at my current job, I was told that they like to move people fairly quickly to management positions. They've kept that, so now I guess I get to see if I like it.

Beyond career decisions, there was a time where I was sure I wouldn't get married. Now I can't wait to get married, & start building my life. My friends think I'm crazy, but I'm tired of being a kid. I want to move on, marry my best friend, & start my life with her.

So, I guess you could say I'm where I want to be. Of course that's a lot different than I thought it would be 3 years ago, but I like it. I'm going to go back to school once I decide what exactly I want to do, & go from there.

Viper GTS

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
I always wanted to be a rock star.

Now I am a music performance major.

ROCK STAR OR BUST!!!

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I always wanted a job were I could sit on my butt and do nothing all day and I'am almost there. I sit on my butt all night instead of day and do nothing :) as matter of fact I'am at work NOW!! I work the night shift in a university computer lab and starting in a couple weeks they are also going to give me the job of being the night help desk guy at the sametime and it comes with a rather large raise with very little increase in work. My typical night consist of about 3 hours of playing on a MUD, 2.5 hours of surfing the net, 2.4 hours of reading, and about .1 hour of actuall work :). Now if I could only sleep while I was at work I would never quit. Maybe I should get some of the glasses with the eyeballs painted on them.

VTBigBear

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2000
i always either wanted to teach or do something with computers..
im a CS major in college.. so maybe ill do both..

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
I always wanted to be a Historian. But I ended up pregnant at 17, so that stopped it for a couple of years. Then when I was 22 I went to college for a year, and had a 3.85 grade average. But my babysitter quit, so I had to leave. I still plan on going back, and becoming either a Historian or a Journalist. I feel that I am very proficient in those areas, and would love to have a career in either of those fields.

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
I went from wanting to be a vet, to doctor, to whatever else. Finally I'm working in IT, but something I always wanted, and now have, is just an overall happy life, so who cares what I'm doing eh? :p

BiB

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I wanted to be an animator.
I teach animation. (3D) --And I do animations for TV shows and commercial projects. I guess I'm there. :)

But I have a really cool story:

This guy my dad knew was sitting around with his friend one day back in the 80's, smoking dope and watching Top Gun. During the part where the Coast Guard is rescuing Mav and Goose, the guy jumped out of the helicopter, and this guy says, "Man, that's what I want to do right there." So his friend called someone he kne win the recruitment office. 2 days later, the guy was on a plane to boot camp. exactly 1 YEAR LATER, he was IN THAT HELICOPTER that was on Top Gun (the actual same one) being helped out by the very guardsman who was in the movie. Talk about getting what you want!! :)

Ricky
DesignDawg

warlord

Golden Member
Oct 25, 1999
ever since I was a little kid I wanted to be an air force pilot, but I'm colorblind so its impossible. now i'm 1.5 years away from the chemical engineering degree :)

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
i wanted to be a dictator of a small country and gradually take over the world. i got sidetracked and ended up in college

unxpurg8d

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2000
jhu, you merely have to readjust your thinking and become dictator of YOUR world rather than THE world.... works for ME. ;)

It's nice to see that some of you are working at what you like and want to do, and that a lot of the rest of you are working towards that goal. :)

GF, it's never too late even if it SEEMS like it sometimes. I know that 'cause in '96 I finally got my high school diploma from the high school I quit back in '80. :D It was never important to me jobwise, I went to college and got 4.0 grades, but somehow it always in the back of my mind it always felt like I left something unfinished. You DO know there's internet college classes available and distance learning? :)

Duckers

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2000
i wanted to be a dictator of a small country and gradually take over the world. i got sidetracked and ended up in college

jhu, me too. Great minds think alike!

Livin4Real

Mar 25, 2000
I think I've made it to where I wanted to be growing up.Actually I had the same dream as a lot of kids.I am a Firefighter and a Police Officer.:) I like the Firefighting better than the Sheriff's dept. Your not deling with the scum of the earth everyday and you get
to tear stuff up :p

Hyper99

Banned
Jun 14, 2000
firefighting is a dangerous job eh
what if you get burned?
The pay are ok, hmm you must like dangerous job
and don't mind the heat from running into houses on fire to save lives?

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
duckers, i intend to follow through with my plans of taking over the world. i already have a "secret society". wanna join?