What did you do in the war, UNIFIL?

Aisengard

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/012/622bqwjn.asp

UNIFIL--the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon, a nearly 2,000-man blue-helmet contingent that has been present on the Lebanon-Israel border since 1978--is officially neutral. Yet, throughout the recent war, it posted on its website for all to see precise information about the movements of Israeli Defense Forces soldiers and the nature of their weaponry and materiel, even specifying the placement of IDF safety structures within hours of their construction. New information was sometimes only 30 minutes old when it was posted, and never more than 24 hours old.

Meanwhile, UNIFIL posted not a single item of specific intelligence regarding Hezbollah forces. Statements on the order of Hezbollah "fired rockets in large numbers from various locations" and Hezbollah's rockets "were fired in significantly larger numbers from various locations" are as precise as its coverage of the other side ever got.

Read the rest. I don't know if this is some crap piece, or if he's blowing things way out of proportion. He does provide a horrifying story about UNIFIL, for the sake of 'partiality', stonewalling an Israeli inquiry into abducted soldiers, but if it's true that UNIFIL is very obviously partial to the Hezbollah terrorists, shouldn't there be some kind of inquiry at the UN?

imported_Tango

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Aisengard

UNIFIL--the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon, a nearly 2,000-man blue-helmet contingent that has been present on the Lebanon-Israel border since 1978--is officially neutral. Yet, throughout the recent war, it posted on its website for all to see precise information about the movements of Israeli Defense Forces soldiers and the nature of their weaponry and materiel, even specifying the placement of IDF safety structures within hours of their construction. New information was sometimes only 30 minutes old when it was posted, and never more than 24 hours old.

Meanwhile, UNIFIL posted not a single item of specific intelligence regarding Hezbollah forces. Statements on the order of Hezbollah "fired rockets in large numbers from various locations" and Hezbollah's rockets "were fired in significantly larger numbers from various locations" are as precise as its coverage of the other side ever got.

Read the rest. I don't know if this is some crap piece, or if he's blowing things way out of proportion. He does provide a horrifying story about UNIFIL, for the sake of 'partiality', stonewalling an Israeli inquiry into abducted soldiers, but if it's true that UNIFIL is very obviously partial to the Hezbollah terrorists, shouldn't there be some kind of inquiry at the UN?

It is. It's so full of uncorrect things and mistakes it's actually quite funny. But then you read the source and everything is suddently clear.

Aisengard

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
Can you provide? I don't see a source, and frankly that's the first I've heard of the alleged UNIFIL disaster regarding the kidnapped soldiers.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
When you see someone quoting something, you can often Google lines from those quotes to find the source.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The proper inquiry is to ask the UN why Hizbollah still exists. Then you realize they are there to protect them against Israel and all the minor details like these reports fall into place.

IrateLeaf

Jul 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Tango

It is. It's so full of uncorrect things and mistakes it's actually quite funny. But then you read the source and everything is suddently clear.
- Proof???

Every Israeli knows that UNIFIL has been partial since day one. All I see are facts that any and all Israeli`s know to be true!

cumhail

Apr 1, 2003
Originally posted by: IrateLeaf
- Proof???

Every Israeli knows that UNIFIL has been partial since day one. All I see are facts that any and all Israeli`s know to be true!

There you have it... the article is from the Weekly Standard, written by the "president of the Zionist Organization of America, Greater Philadelphia District," and confirmed by IrateLeaf. What more proof or confirmation of its objectivity and veracity could you possibly need?

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
The proper inquiry is to ask the UN why Hizbollah still exists. Then you realize they are there to protect them against Israel and all the minor details like these reports fall into place.
The reports make even more sense if you read them in context and understand that UNIFIL are the there to help secure the boarder and report on violations, both attempted and sucessful.

chcarnage

Golden Member
May 11, 2005
The article is a crap piece. It is not worth the electrons used to transfer it to my screen. It is 100% garbage.

FTFA:

New information was sometimes only 30 minutes old when it was posted, and never more than 24 hours old.

Wow, what a surprise! I guess every daily press bulletins get released about once every 24 hours! Why does the author put so much weight on this fact?

They openly published daily real-time intelligence, of obvious usefulness to Hezbollah, on the location, equipment, and force structure of Israeli troops in Lebanon.

Uh-huh. The daily press release was not useful to Hezbollah. It was useful to the press (hence the name) and maybe gave an overview to politicians and an interested public. The documents usually were about 1.5 pages long and contained general geographic descriptions (e.g. "south of village X, in the center of village X") and reports of both fights and Israeli army movements (e.g. "about X tanks and bulldozers . The documents also contain descriptions of the humanitarian situation in the zone. They are not "military intelligence", no coordinates, no tactical analysis, nothing more than the average Lebanese has seen with his own eyes.

Before somebody asks the question, let me write down the two reasons why the press releases deal more with the Israeli activities...

1. The Israeli offensive was big and facile to see. The casualties and destruction caused by the IDF was facile to see.

2. Hezbollah apparently fought against the IDF when UNIFIL soldiers were nearby, but it is unlikely that they fired missiles near UNIFIL personel. (A fraction of the missiles even might've been launched beyond the zone).

Lowenthal Marcus says that the press releases were written in bad faith - they were not - and that they were dangerous to the IDF - they were not. The UNIFIL was doing its job: to observe. And if you still don't believe me, you're welcome to read some of the press releases yourself:

http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/missions/unifil/unifilpress.htm

imported_Tango

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005

- Proof???

Every Israeli
knows that UNIFIL has been partial since day one. All I see are facts that any and all Israeli`s know to be true!

UNIFIL is partial only according to someone who hasn't studied basic international law and didn't care to read the UN mandate they are enforcing in Lebanon.

You know, it's not like they should always do what YOU feel would be right otherwise they are partial...

The article is ridiculous, and the mistakes are so many I don't feel like losing time to address something so clear if you read a couple of International Law books and take time to download and read the mission mandate.

This "president of the Zionist Organization of America, Greater Philadelphia District" apparently doesn't think that knowing these basic things is a prerequisite to write his opinion on an internet publication. Too bad, he could have avoided writing stupid things and embarassing himself. But then, people reading that kind of website are probably at least as ignorant as he is and wouldn't notice...

Post Scriptum: It is clear to ignorant Israelis, not all of them. I work with many Israelis including UN staff and diplomatic personell and they felt embarrassed when reading things like this.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: ntdz
That's ridiculous if true...

it is very true!! This subject came up during the recent war.
Sadly its very true!!

In fact its old news.......

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: chcarnage
The article is a crap piece. It is not worth the electrons used to transfer it to my screen. It is 100% garbage.

FTFA:

New information was sometimes only 30 minutes old when it was posted, and never more than 24 hours old.

Wow, what a surprise! I guess every daily press bulletins get released about once every 24 hours! Why does the author put so much weight on this fact?

They openly published daily real-time intelligence, of obvious usefulness to Hezbollah, on the location, equipment, and force structure of Israeli troops in Lebanon.

Uh-huh. The daily press release was not useful to Hezbollah. It was useful to the press (hence the name) and maybe gave an overview to politicians and an interested public. The documents usually were about 1.5 pages long and contained general geographic descriptions (e.g. "south of village X, in the center of village X") and reports of both fights and Israeli army movements (e.g. "about X tanks and bulldozers . The documents also contain descriptions of the humanitarian situation in the zone. They are not "military intelligence", no coordinates, no tactical analysis, nothing more than the average Lebanese has seen with his own eyes.

Before somebody asks the question, let me write down the two reasons why the press releases deal more with the Israeli activities...

1. The Israeli offensive was big and facile to see. The casualties and destruction caused by the IDF was facile to see.

2. Hezbollah apparently fought against the IDF when UNIFIL soldiers were nearby, but it is unlikely that they fired missiles near UNIFIL personel. (A fraction of the missiles even might've been launched beyond the zone).

Lowenthal Marcus says that the press releases were written in bad faith - they were not - and that they were dangerous to the IDF - they were not. The UNIFIL was doing its job: to observe. And if you still don't believe me, you're welcome to read some of the press releases yourself:

Not true at all!! UNIFIL was caught reporting on Israeli positions while letting Hezbollah do whatever they pleased!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

- Proof???

Every Israeli
knows that UNIFIL has been partial since day one. All I see are facts that any and all Israeli`s know to be true!

UNIFIL is partial only according to someone who hasn't studied basic international law and didn't care to read the UN mandate they are enforcing in Lebanon.

You know, it's not like they should always do what YOU feel would be right otherwise they are partial...

The article is ridiculous, and the mistakes are so many I don't feel like losing time to address something so clear if you read a couple of International Law books and take time to download and read the mission mandate.

This "president of the Zionist Organization of America, Greater Philadelphia District" apparently doesn't think that knowing these basic things is a prerequisite to write his opinion on an internet publication. Too bad, he could have avoided writing stupid things and embarassing himself. But then, people reading that kind of website are probably at least as ignorant as he is and wouldn't notice...

Post Scriptum: It is clear to ignorant Israelis, not all of them. I work with many Israelis including UN staff and diplomatic personell and they felt embarrassed when reading things like this.

Post post scriptum -- You sir really have no clue!
As an American Jew who has many many Israeli Contacts as well as a Son who as we speak is on his way to Israel I can tell you that the Israeli`s I have been in contact with since the end of the war have utter disdain and contempt for the 2 sided way the Un operates on a daily basis!!
I seriously doubt any people you claim to work with were embarrassed in the least little bit!!

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Originally posted by: chcarnage

FTFA:

Not true at all!! UNIFIL was caught reporting on Israeli positions while letting Hezbollah do whatever they pleased!!

Hmm, so far all I see is some unsourced "news story" on a hack "news" site. Boy was UNIFIL ever caught. :roll:

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

- Proof???

Every Israeli

As an American Jew who has many many Israeli Contacts as well as a Son who as we speak is on his way to Israel I can tell you that the Israeli`s I have been in contact with since the end of the war have utter disdain and contempt for the 2 sided way the Un operates on a daily basis!!
I seriously doubt any people you claim to work with were embarrassed in the least little bit!!

You want a good, unbiased overview of what is going on in the Middle East? The LAST people to ask are the people directly involved, they are deeply biased for the obvious reason. I trust the Israelis only a little bit more than I trust the rest of the people in the region. Hell, this is true of almost any situation, and the people in the Middle East have long ago proven that there isn't a single one of them who isn't willing to do or say almost anything for "his" side.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Rainsford

- Proof???

Every Israeli

You want a good, unbiased overview of what is going on in the Middle East? The LAST people to ask are the people directly involved, they are deeply biased for the obvious reason. I trust the Israelis only a little bit more than I trust the rest of the people in the region. Hell, this is true of almost any situation, and the people in the Middle East have long ago proven that there isn't a single one of them who isn't willing to do or say almost anything for "his" side.

hahaha...you can recommnd an unbiased source i seriously doubt it!! :D

imported_dna

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2006
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Hmm, so far all I see is some unsourced "news story" on a hack "news" site. Boy was UNIFIL ever caught. :roll:

It has been posted in the message that you quoted, but I see that you failed to notice it: UNIFIL Press.