What did you buy your dad for Christmas?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
A T-shirt.

Edit - I should add that I don't believe in Jesus or Santa so it's not much of a holiday for me.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: conehead433
"i got my mom a ShopVac tho"

Dude, that is so not an appropriate present for a mom.

Whatever. A ShopVac is different from a some random vacuum cleaner. Everyone should have a Wet/Dry vac because it's better than grabbing a crapload of towels or something when something leaks or you gotta clean up a mess. It's not a daily carpet-cleaning vacuum, it's a heavy duty mess cleaner.

It's like a Foreman Grill... you don't get one of them because people should cook more, you get people one because they WILL want to use it once they actually have it.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
P4-M 2.5 processor
Dell 9t011 video card
512MB PC2700

He is hard to buy for. Knowing him in 3 months he will buy a new laptop once he sees the speed increase these give him thinking it will help his email :)

We also got my parents a LCD picture frame...I am still working on my mom's gift.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: conehead433
"i got my mom a ShopVac tho"

Dude, that is so not an appropriate present for a mom.

i asked her what she wanted and she said "i need a shopvac"

so i got her a shopvac

8 gal 3HP IIRC

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Faster CPU & more RAM for his PC ... also a couple very nice bottles of wine.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: alkemyst
He is hard to buy for. Knowing him in 3 months he will buy a new laptop once he sees the speed increase these give him thinking it will help his email :)

Hah, sounds like my old man. He wants a new computer every couple of years just because his gets so slow from the billions of programs he runs at startup and leaves on. The most extensible thing he does on a regular basis is edit excel spreadsheets that might have 5000 cells or check outlook which probably hasn't been archived EVER... since 2000 or so...

But if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be the geek I am today.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: JEDI
Originally posted by: Squisher
A sweater and a snow shovel.

I was over his house a month ago fixing his garage door and I looked at his snow shovel. He had worn the metal blade down until it couldn't have been 7" tall. He had put a screw in it because he had worn it past the rivet. I just looked at it and laughed. I told him to put a rubber blade on it and use it as a squeegee.

Will I ever get that cheap? I hope not.

Rossman is your dad?

:confused:

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
To answer my own question, I bought him a Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx GPS.

How does he like it?

[RossMAN] How much did you pay? [/RossMAN]