What did u think of "The Patriot"? Gladiator? Braveheart?

sov05

May 7, 2000
All these movies seem to be very common in nature.

Of the three I would have to say Gladiator was the best, Braveheart a close 2nd, and patriot a far 3rd.

What did you think of these movies?

uncouth

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
The theme of all three of these films is clear and simple: Revenge for relative killing.

In "BraveHeart", William Wallace (Mel Gibson) is fighting the English because they killed his wife.

In "Gladiator", Maximus (Russell Crowe) is fighting the Romans because they killed his family and ruined his life.

In "Patriot", Benjiman Martin (Mel Gibson) is fighting the British because they killed his son.

On this theme there is a certain level of quality that is lost, gained, and retained with each.
In "Braveheart", I felt that the loss of Gibson's wife was very significant and it actually changed him. Wallace started the movie as a normal farmer, but when his GF gets her throat slit, a change comes over him. He sees that his people are powerless and oppressed and he dedicates his life to freeing everyone and protecting others from the fate he had. This worked really really well in "Braveheart". I could completely see where Wallace was coming from. He lost the love of his life and he was going to do something about it. This theme is continued throughout "Braveheart" making it even more potent.

In "Gladiator", when Maximus' family gets killed it was much less sorrowful. For one thing it was far to predictable. Duh, they are going to kill the family... In "Braveheart" however, I was a little surprised when Gibson's wife meets her maker. Russell Crowe although excellent at waving a sword did not do a good job of portraying a real loss for his wife and son. True, he was wisked off for Arabia immediatly, but he still was not sad enough and his anger did not really develope into anything. He was kind of going after the Marcus Aurelius (Oliver Reed) because he didn't like the guy. This made a bad impression on me, as if it was a Lethal Weapon movie and people were killing each other because they could.

In "Patriot", Gibson's son, Thomas, dying was pretty stupid, for one, and secondly Benjiman Martin got over every death in this movie way too fast. It was if the director said "Some one close to Mel dies, we need exactly 30 frames of him being sad then back to usual." This for one made me dislike Martin and also not take the story seriously.

Ratings out of 4 stars:

"Braveheart"
. **** this movie kicked a$$. Plenty of action/fighting but enough slow parts (with good transistions into them) to keep from feeling that you were watching a Bond film.

"Gladiator"
. ** and 1/2 although the fighting really had me on the edge of my seat and the Colloseum was great, the story sucked dirt and movie as a whole only left me with the feeling that people could die brutaly.

"The Patriot"
. * boasting a pathetic story "The Patriot" left me with the feeling that I had seen every scene before. The ride by Gibson down the army line holding the American Flag.., ever seen "Dances with Wolves"? The scene where Gibson and his two sons kill 20 soldiers, ever seen "Last of the Mohecians"? Due to these copies, and believing as I do that there are still original scenes out there, I have no choice but to not reccomend this film unless you really like Mel Gibson.

In closing watch a different type of film, such as Chicken Run. It still has the Great Gibson but lacks the crappy scripts, bad humor, used scenes, and boring parts.

uncouth

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
btw, sov05, you have Gladiator rated both as #1 and #3. I assume you mean that "Patriot" is further back...

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Gladiator did really kick some a$$. And braveheart comes really close up to it. PAtriot was okay, but no where in comparson to the both.

blade

1957 - 2008<br>Elite Moderator Emeritus<br>Troll H
Oct 9, 1999
BraveHeart is by far the best and one of the best movies All-Time. To me anyway. Of the 3 u mentioned I liked Gladiator second and The Patriot a distant 3rd. I don't really care if I ever see it again while I will for sure the first 2.

yata

Jun 2, 2000
Aaaaiii, The Patriot was crappy. Cheesy plot and bad acting. The movie staff probably was under the comforting thoughts that Mel Gibson was in it

It's not a movie I would see again, let alone on the TV screen...

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
I liked the Patriot. A little thick on the melodrama though.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
I haven't seen Gladiator or The Patriot, and I haven't watched braveheart for a long time, so no valid comments here :)

-RSI

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
BraveHeart is one of my all time favorites, along with Saving Private Ryan, Silence Of The Lambs etc etc.

The patriot certainly wasn't bad, but they should have at least made it somewhat different than Braveheart in plot and story line. I was expecting Gibson to come out at any time and say &quot;I'm William Wallace!&quot; :) Pretty decent flick, but not nearly on the same level as braveheart.

I haven't seen gladiator yet, so can't comment on that one.

uncouth

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
What, except for the fact that Gibson's sister-in-law had a low neck line, was there to like about Gladiator?

:(Watch out for getting ink in your teeth... booorring, that scene was perhaps the worst I have seen this year. I have many complaints.
:( Another one: I love at the end, after Gibson has a 2 mile gash would that Lobster Evil has put in his back, and everyone is running by him as :)the Red Coat and Mel sit there watching the time go by. LOL. Everyone is running forward,

motivated of course by Gibson's line &quot;They can take our lives, but they can't take our free(stuff from Buy.com)dom!&quot;, they all pass right by our hero and his killer-to-be. Sweet dodge by Senor Gibson :D yeah

sov05

May 7, 2000
The Patriot was made by the same guys who did &quot;Godzilla&quot; and &quot;ID4&quot;.

uncouth is right, the Patriot was all cliche, everything was done b4, corny. The enemy faking dead and then inflicting a mortal blow, the flag, the son dying.

However, I disagree about Gladiator. I think they did so the loss. He falls to his knees dramaticly if I remember correctly.

Also, in Braveheart the &quot;secret&quot; wife, Murrin, dying was done well, but they dishonored that whole scene by having Wallace and the Princess of Wales, Princess Isabella,(the daughter of the french king), hook up. That really made no Emotional sense for the character to do.

Brooks

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
I think Braveheart edged ahead of Gladiator, but doubtless both were fine movies.

Patriot was good, better than I thought...nothing fantastic, but some good fight scenes. I really liked the ambush of the 20 soldiers - and the funny thing about it (although it reaked of last of the mohicans perhaps my favorite movie) is that given the pathetic tactics of english soliders in a gorilla situation its not entirely impossible that him and his sons could have in fact taken out the 20 soldiers.

Without officers all they'd know how to do is sit and hold a line...thats what they did and they got cut up from the woods, it was pretty neat. Perhaps it was a tribute to last of the mohicans :)

Brooks

sov05

May 7, 2000
<<
motivated of course by Gibson's line &quot;They can take our lives, but they can't take our free(stuff from Buy.com)dom!&quot;, they all pass right by our hero and his killer-to-be. Sweet dodge by Senor Gibson yeah >

I loved that speech

Fight, and you may die
Run and you'll live, at least awhile
And dying in your beds many years from now would you be willing to trade ALL the days from this to that, for one chance, JUST one chance
to come back here and tell our enemies, you may take our lives but you'll NEVER take our FREEDOM. (what do they say next? it sounds like abdu go bra).
&quot;

&quot;What will you do without FREEDOM&quot; - wallace

&quot;Love? I would not know&quot; -princess isabella

&quot;The problem with Scotland, is that it is full of Scots&quot; -king ed

Arrows are pouring down like mad rain
Irishman- &quot;The lord tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he tells me your f*****.&quot;

&quot;You believe the people of this country exist to provide you posistion, I believe your posistion exists to provide those people freedom&quot;

&quot;We won at Stirling and you would not join us, we won at York and still you would support us. If you will not Stand by us now, then I call you cowards. And if you are scotsman, I am ashamed to calll myself one&quot;

hamish &quot;you're trying to be a hero, because you think Murron sees you&quot;
wallace &quot;i don't think she sees me. I know she does, just as your father sees you&quot;
hamish gives him a nice smack

&quot;here are scotlands terms, march straight back to England stopping at every village begging forgivness for 100 years of rape and murder. Do this and you may live. Do it not and you will all die. I:M NOT FINISHED. Your commander must cross this field, present himself in front of this army, put his head between his legs and kiss his on ass.&quot;

&quot;You have bled with Wallace, (compassionately) now bleed with me&quot;
&quot;My hate will die with you!&quot;(closes door)

Hamish Dropping a Rock
Wallace &quot;You've dropped your rock&quot;
Hamish &quot;The English won't let us train on real weapons, so we use rocks; Test of Manlyhood&quot;
Wallace pauses then smartly &quot;You Win&quot;

&quot;Send the Irish. Arrows cost us money, the Irish cost us NOTHING&quot;

&quot;have the archers fire&quot;
&quot;pardon my lord wouldn't we hit our own troops?&quot;
&quot;yes (snickers) but we'll hit their's as well. &quot;

&quot;i cannot send my PUNY son, just the mere SIGHT of him would only encourage more of this behaivor&quot;

&quot;Your father was a fighter and a patriot, are you?&quot;

&quot;An assault on the king's soldiers is the same as an assault on the king himself&quot;

ADD your own favorite qoutes from any of these movies, esp BraveHeart.

One question I have:

Was the king's son gay? I saw some innuendo of this during the wedding. He looks at a boy, and is reluctant to kiss his bride. I was wanna make sure I wasn't seeing things that were not there.