what did howard cosell say to get him fired?

y2kc

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2000
i think they were right. he said something like that. i didn't think he got fired over it...maybe i'm wrong. twas a long time ago.

OMG we were JUST talking about this in class today! Do you go to U of M?

EDIT: and yeah, my history GSI said that Cosell said "Look at that monkey run" referring to a black reciever.

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
Yeah, Howard said "look at that monkey run" in reference to a black reciever, not understanding the negative connotations of the phrase. I was watching something about him and they asked his kids and grandkids what they thought about it. They said "he called us monkies all the time, so I don't understand what the fuss is about."

Hubris

Platinum Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: TheBoyBlunder
Yeah, Howard said "look at that monkey run" in reference to a black reciever, not understanding the negative connotations of the phrase. I was watching something about him and they asked his kids and grandkids what they thought about it. They said "he called us monkies all the time, so I don't understand what the fuss is about."

Did he have jungle fever? :D

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
I think he was referring to darrell green of washington, a lighting quick (black) cornerback.

I don't think Cosell meant it in a racially motivated sort of way...I think me meant it in a "Wow, look at that sucker go!" way. You don't really think the people are suckers, but you just say it.

Originally posted by: jumpr
I don't think Cosell meant it in a racially motivated sort of way...I think me meant it in a "Wow, look at that sucker go!" way. You don't really think the people are suckers, but you just say it.

Have you ever called anyone over 10 years old a monkey?

Originally posted by: Phocas

Ha, no. But I still stand by what I said. He has said in past interviews that he dind't mean it that way, and of course he'd say that, but I seriously don't think anyone in that sort of spotlight would be so careless to throw out a truly racially motivated epithet like that.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

I would almost guarantee Cosell did not have any sort of racially motivated motive when he said that. Keep in mind Cosell was one of the few high-profile public people that stuck by Ali when the gov't was trying to draft him.

Hubris

Platinum Member
Jul 14, 2001

Maybe we should....gasp...take the man at his word? I know it's a hard concept to grasp, but sometimes people AREN'T racist and DON'T mean things the way they sound.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Cosell MADE Muhammad Ali and ALI MADE Cosell.

If he were a racist do you honestly think that this would be his ONLY slip up his entire career??