what desktop video card is equivalent to this notebook NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Originally posted by: Insomniator
Well I'm sure many are just wondering how it plays source...
my roomate just got a new vostro with 2 gigs/vista/8400 and
it plays source at 1680x1050/medium settings at 60 fps stable.

Sure it aint maxed but thats a high resolution and it looks good.

The HL2 engine is what, 4-5 years old? Running it at low/medium settings should be doable on almost anything, I remember 9500 non-pro playing it like butter on old AXP boxes.

It's REALLY sad that a modern laptop is barely the gaming equal of a 5 year old PC. Maybe a better word is 'pathetic'.

half life 2 came out around when the 9600 series ATI cards came out, i think it was the pack in coupon.

it was release november 2004. not quite 3 years.

ZebuluniteV

Aug 23, 2007
I have a Vostro 1400 with a 8400GS, and while its no where near high-end its far from useless. I was playing Half-Life 2 episode 1 for a while on it, with high-settings (no AA/AF) at 1280x800 and got a fairly consistent ~60 FPS (and while HL2 is 3 years old, episode 1 is a good deal more demanding). I've played Command and Conquer 3, and while the card struggles with the "medium" quality preset, on the low preset it runs very smoothly at 1280x800. Likewise, Star Wars Empire at War also ran very smoothly at 1280x800. And while the BioShock demo didn't run very well at 1280x800, lowering the resolution at bit I could get it running at a very playable setting (with lower settings of course, but like FEAR or HL2 even at low settings it still looks pretty good).

So yeah, its no high end card, but to say its "useless" or on the level of an Intel-IGP is completely ridiculous.